Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

User review game

TopBilled

I am going to quote fan reviews that appear on the TCM database and the IMDB.  if it's fairly easy to figure out, I won't provide any clues.  For the tougher ones, there will be three possible answers as to which film the writer is discussing.

We will do a hundred of these...are you game? :)

The lead actress gives a performance worthy of an Oscar, and in his Oscar-nominated debut, the lead actor is dynamite as a misguided cowboy. There are moments where drama & comedy clumsily collide & the story can be incoherent. Fortunately, the acting easily overshadows the story to create fine entertainment.

What's the answer?

This is a splashy as musicals get, and it's not bad at all. How could you go wrong with the "P_gm_lion" story? Sumptuous production, outstanding art direction and costumes. Technically superb. The songs are fine, well acted but A_d_ey  H_p__r_ wasn't the best choice for the lead role. And, as so often with musicals, it is seriously overlong.

What's the answer?

Just FYI, the way the games usually work, the poster who answers correctly gets the opportunity to pose the next question, unless they bow out and leave the thread open to everyone

:)

We have different rules with the user review game. You are welcome to join the fun but please leave the condescending tone behind. Thanks.

Glenn Ford's witty portrayal of Jason Sweet keeps the interest piqued for every foot of this classic film. Mickey O'Shaughnessey and Edgar Buchannan are absolutely wonderful in their character roles. This is a must-see for any fan of Glenn Ford and any fan of the comedic western.

What's the answer?

We have different rules with the user review game. You are welcome to join the fun but please leave the condescending tone behind. Thanks.

I don't think the mr6666 was being condescending, just laying out how he has played the game before.

Nevertheless, this is TB's thread and he can run the game how he likes.

Everyone have fun!

I don't think the mr6666 was being condescending, just laying out how he has played the game before.

Nevertheless, this is TB's thread and he can run the game how he likes.

Everyone have fun!

Thanks. It is a new thread, and I was surprised it was embroiled in a controversy. The other game I started here a year ago about keywords went over well.  Usually what happens is I brainstorm a list of rounds and I get the game going. Then eventually people join in and shape the direction of the game, and when it has lulls, I add some more ideas. I am really not dominating the games I create, just making sure they have steam to keep rolling along.  So I was surprised when a poster hopped on to this thread and was trying to tell us how to play the game, according to the way other games are played. Which did seem a bit strange and bossy.

The purpose of this game is to have fun and to celebrate some of the clever writing and points of view advocated by people who spend time crafting reviews of their favorite classic films. That is all. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great user review:

A 16-year-old singer/actress plays a girl who travels around a city seeking a mysterious white-haired man of power who can make all her dreams come true … where have we seen that since? Though it's a naturalistic (if not realistic) film instead of a fantasy, this film seems to me strikingly close to "The Wizard of Oz" (the legendary 1939 MGM version) not only in its plot structure but its overall approach. I can't help thinking that Judy Garland screened it and based her performance in "Oz" largely on Deanna Durbin's acting here, just as I suspect Victor Fleming studied Henry Koster's direction of this film to figure out ways to make "Oz" believable on screen. Aside from the "Wizard of Oz" parallels, this is a first-rate film, a masterpiece within the limits of its genre, with a class consciousness we're more likely to see from Warners than Universal — one of its most moving aspects is the way the jokes and polite tossed-off remarks of the rich characters become heartbreaking when the poor characters take them all too seriously. Incidentally, apropos of some of the "trivia" entries on this film, the orchestra actually heard in the film was the Philadelphia Orchestra, recorded in the Philadelphia Academy of Music on a multi-channel sound system, the first time one was used in a film (contemporary reports differ on whether 12, 14 or 28 microphones were used); by then Leopold Stokowski was no longer the Philadelphia's main conductor but he was still the orchestra's principal guest conductor and he used them in other movie projects, including "Fantasia" (1940).

Okay.  Here's a review from the IMDB that I have edited so as not to give it completely away:

Neglected MGM musical has some great things going for it.

It has an amusing Adolph & Green (sic) script, some dazzling dance numbers choreographed to perfection, and a simple plot (two gals in love with the same fellow) that never gets in the way of the well staged song-and-dance numbers. It gives a charming look at college life in the 1920s--in non-realistic fashion, of course!

All in all, a fun-filled, tuneful college comedy about academics and football. Lighthearted plot with a solid score!

Okay.  Here's a review from the IMDB that I have edited so as not to give it completely away:

Neglected MGM musical has some great things going for it.

It has an amusing Adolph & Green (sic) script, some dazzling dance numbers choreographed to perfection, and a simple plot (two gals in love with the same fellow) that never gets in the way of the well staged song-and-dance numbers. It gives a charming look at college life in the 1920s--in non-realistic fashion, of course!

All in all, a fun-filled, tuneful college comedy about academics and football. Lighthearted plot with a solid score!

It has to be GOOD NEWS...  The part about college in the '20s gives it away.  I love this film!

That's it, TopBilled.  I love this movie, too.  It's just a lot of fun from beginning to end, and the musical numbers are joyous.

The ball's back in your court.

Thanks.  Do you want to go ahead and post another one? I don't want to dominate the thread-- so go ahead and do another one, please.

Thanks, TopBilled.

A simple little wartime love story about a boy and girl who fall in love during his 24-hour leave is what lies at the heart of this movie. Amazingly, considering how authentic all the New York scenes look, the entire film was done at MGM's studio lot--even the scenes at Penn Station which was recreated by studio craftsmen with startling accuracy.

But the most genuine moments in the film are the performances of the two stars. The freshness of their appeal is evident in every scene.

By all means, catch this little gem if you can. It's one of the best wartime films, a simple romance, honest and warmly appealing. Should make servicemen recall the hectic moments some of them may have gone through themselves.

thanks, starlite

how 'bout this one:

You certainly could have fooled (the producer), who went full-steam ahead with his musicalization of a property that should have been left alone to begin with. Casting actors with little to no musical training & badly dubbing them was bad enough, but choosing a project that worked best in its original format was double trouble.

???

thanks, starlite

how 'bout this one:

You certainly could have fooled (the producer), who went full-steam ahead with his musicalization of a property that should have been left alone to begin with. Casting actors with little to no musical training & badly dubbing them was bad enough, but choosing a project that worked best in its original format was double trouble.

???

Wow, that's a tough one, mr6666-- I can think of several films that fit such a description...can you give us a hint maybe-- like tell us what decade???