Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any "Quota Quickies" Tonight (6.24.14)?

allthumbs

i see there's a night of "American Actors in British Films" on tonight. since i haven't heard much of any of them (except No Orchids for Miss Blandish, which deserves a look/see) and some are pre-WWII, i was thinking maybe there's a "Quota Quickie" in the bunch. are there any?

is there some kind of list of Brit Films that were QQ's?

were there any  QQ's that were actually "good"? (as opposed to "passable" or "tolerable"). if so, there might be the makings of a night of this fare along with some RO comments and an explanation about the law governing QQ's.

• Like 1

I don't know, but I thought the print quality of these films was rather dreadful. The Robinson film seemed like an old copy made forty or fifty years ago for television syndication, and the Bette Davis film was so washed out in spots and then so dark and hard to see in other spots that I gave up-- and I had a feeling it was an interesting story with good performances.  But not worth the aggravation of trying to figure out what was supposed to be on screen.

I don't know, but I thought the print quality of these films was rather dreadful. The Robinson film seemed like an old copy made forty or fifty years ago for television syndication, and the Bette Davis film was so washed out in spots and then so dark and hard to see in other spots that I gave up-- and I had a feeling it was an interesting story with good performances.  But not worth the aggravation of trying to figure out what was supposed to be on screen.

You DO know why this is, doncha TB?

It's 'cause film should always be stored in a cool space.

And unfortunately word from across the pond is that those "cool spaces" were equipped with air-conditioning supplied by the Lucas Electrical Company of Great Britain. Uh-huh, THAT'S right...the same company that supplied the electrical systems for all those old British cars and motorcycles back in the day.

(...and I THINK we ALL know how "reliable" THOSE systems were...yep, once the "smoke" "escaped" out of the wires, it wasn't good anymore!)

You DO know why this is, doncha TB?

It's 'cause film should always be stored in a cool space.

And unfortunately word from across the pond is that those "cool spaces" were equipped with air-conditioning supplied by the Lucas Electrical Company of Great Britain. Uh-huh, THAT'S right...the same company that supplied the electrical systems for all those old British cars and motorcycles back in the day.

(...and I THINK we ALL know how "reliable" THOSE systems were...yep, once the "smoke" "escaped" out of the wires, it wasn't good anymore!)

Thanks Dargo for that comment. I think you are on to something there...still, I wish Criterion or someone else would try to see if they can restore the image quality a bit, if possible, on these films.