Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sandra Dee & Connie Stevens

kaslovesTCM

I doubt it.  One was a big movie star, and the other was, mostly, a television star.  I always felt that Connie Steves was way underrated and underutilized.  I think she is a fine actress.  Dee, on the other hand, is cute and perky, with limited ability.  Not bad, just limited.

Well, seein' as how "keeping Stats" seems to be the latest trend around here...

NEWS FLASH:

So far in this baby we have TWO votes for Connie, ONE for Sandra, and ONE vote that they're pretty much the same!

OH, and yeah...one vote who wanted to know if Eddie Fisher found Connie anything like Debbie Reynolds...that was my vote.

(...stay tuned...more "news" to follow as more "stats" come in)

Connie Stevens seems to have lived a happy life and found her fortune in cosmetics after her career waned (which wasnt much to begin with) Sandra Dee, lived a sad life and died young.....

I dont think they were carbon copies except being blondes. Connie often played the bad girl, Sandra the good...

I wonder if there was ever a rivalry between the two

Only for Troy's affections LOL

As previously posted Connie did more TV work with Hawaiian Eye and those WB shows, Sandra didn't.Later on Sandra could be seen as a guest star in shows like THRILLER, NIGHT GALLERY every so often.

Connie certainly had a much better life than Sandra. Yes, they were both typecast.Connie was more of the sexy bad girl (with the good heart) and Sandra was always the good girl.They were both fine for the times and fine in soap opera guilty pleasure films.

Only for Troy's affections LOL

As previously posted Connie did more TV work with Hawaiian Eye and those WB shows, Sandra didn't.Later on Sandra could be seen as a guest star in shows like THRILLER, NIGHT GALLERY every so often.

Connie certainly had a much better life than Sandra. Yes, they were both typecast.Connie was more of the sexy bad girl (with the good heart) and Sandra was always the good girl.They were both fine for the times and fine in soap opera guilty pleasure films.

Yes, I enjoy those WB glossy soap operas from that period. Some are better than others. Some so bad, they're good!

Yes, I enjoy those WB glossy soap operas from that period. Some are better than others. Some so bad, they're good!

Me too, when I'm in the mood for that type of film. Wish PORTRAIT IN BLACK would be in TCM's rotation again. Lana, Sandra,Anthony Quinn and Lloyd Nolan. Certainly not a great film, but again one those guilty pleasure type of films. These types of films are perfect on a rainy Sat afternoon when someone wants to just relax and not have to think much! LOL

it's understandable, Connie was cast as the sexy bad girl (with the good heart)she was also thin but full figured, Sandra we all now know suffered from anorexia, and her figure always looked like a girl, rather than womanly, so no wonder a guy would find Connie more appealing and Sandra not so much.

• Like 1

I've always thought Connie Stevens was cute-hot. She was mostly in TV, Warners series at first, then TV movies later. Not a great actress, but usually a pleasant presence.

Dee's appeal has always eluded me.

I keep wishing TCM underground would show Torchy some early 70's AIP exploitation flick with Connie playing a policewoman. I hear its a hoot!

It seemed like Universal was molding Dee into a younger version of Doris Day, but that didnt last too long as the 60s were a'changin'. and I think they dumped her in 68 or 69. She also did an AIP horror flick called the Dunwich Horror.  She did some tv work after that, but not much. In her later years, I heard she rarely left the house and had to live with a "keeper" due to her drinking. Very sad. I think she died of liver failure. Luckily for her, she had a devoted son who looked after her. Oddly enough it didnt affect her looks. I saw pictures of her in later years and she still looked great. I think she was a better actress than she was given credit for. They just gave her saccharine parts......

• Like 1

Keeping in mind the old saying that comparisons are odious, I'll just say how much I enjoy many of Sandra Dee's movies, especially Gidget, A Summer Place, Come September, If a Man Answers, Take Her She's Mine, I'd Rather Be Rich, and That Funny Feeling.  Mostly light fare, but great fun, and she possessed a sweet, special quality.  I'm sure it's up for debate, but I thought she was a quite a good actress, certainly entertaining, and so pretty.  It's a shame her life took such a sad turn.

• Like 2

For some reason (because I am old and my mind keeps all this trivial stuff and throws out the important stuff), I am reminded of when Connie Steves co-hosted the Mike Douglas Show.  They did a couple of "Candid Camera-like" segments with her, where she played different types of women in situations where she encountered people on the street, and she was really great in every one of those.  I remember being so impressed by her.  I also recall a TV movie she did (because an old friend of mine was in it), where she was a fraternity house-mother, that I enjoyed.  I remember nothing about it, other than she sang "Cone On-A My House" over the credits.   The title might have been "Call Me Mom",  I need to look it up.

it's understandable, Connie was cast as the sexy bad girl (with the good heart)she was also thin but full figured, Sandra we all now know suffered from anorexia, and her figure always looked like a girl, rather than womanly, so no wonder a guy would find Connie more appealing and Sandra not so much.

Stevens was more of a looker than Dee.

I've never seen any similiarities between the two.  Connie Stevens, to me, is sort of a cross between Debbie Reynolds and Joey Heatherton.  Sandra Dee is completely unique.  No one like her, at all, imo.

I'm just going by mental image, but didn't Connie Stevens resemble Ann-Margret?

For some reason (because I am old and my mind keeps all this trivial stuff and throws out the important stuff), I am reminded of when Connie Steves co-hosted the Mike Douglas Show.  They did a couple of "Candid Camera-like" segments with her, where she played different types of women in situations where she encountered people on the street, and she was really great in every one of those.  I remember being so impressed by her.  I also recall a TV movie she did (because an old friend of mine was in it), where she was a fraternity house-mother, that I enjoyed.  I remember nothing about it, other than she sang "Cone On-A My House" over the credits.   The title might have been "Call Me Mom",  I need to look it up.

Yes, I think it was called Call Me Mom or Call Her Mom. I didnt see it though.........

Me too, when I'm in the mood for that type of film. Wish PORTRAIT IN BLACK would be in TCM's rotation again. Lana, Sandra,Anthony Quinn and Lloyd Nolan. Certainly not a great film, but again one those guilty pleasure type of films. These types of films are perfect on a rainy Sat afternoon when someone wants to just relax and not have to think much! LOL

YES! You cant beat Ross Hunter for that type of film. Guilty Pleasures......

I'm just going by mental image, but didn't Connie Stevens resemble Ann-Margret?

Well I don't think so.   Ann Margret projects a lot more of a sexual image while Stevens is more wholesome looking.  

Dee has that cute thing going for her but that can get annoying.   To me Dee is similar to the love of your life; Drew!  

Well I don't think so.   Ann Margret is projects a lot more of a sexual image while Stevens is more wholesome looking.  

Dee has that cute thing going for her but that can get annoying.   To me Dee is similar to the love of your life; Drew!  

LOL. Definitely a turn off for finance...........

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings