Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Orchids for Miss Blandish (1948) tonight Brit/American crooks

FredCDobbs

I love this film.

This is an American-style crime noir, made with British actors who are pretending to be Americans in or around New York. I think the only American in the film is Jack La Rue.

(On later tonight)

I love this film as well. The cable guide gives it one star-- but in my view, it's two and a half, almost three. It is very stylish and the subject matter is very daring for its time.  Robert Aldrich redid the story in the 70s as THE GRISSOM GANG.

I remember being hugely disappointed in No Orchids for Miss Blandish when I saw it on TCM a few years back.

Yes, theoretically it should be a fine little noir, but it just doesn't "work".  (for me, anyway.)

I don't think any of the performers are particularly good, and the fact that these British actors are putting on obviously fake American accents doesn't help.

Plus, I have trouble buying the "Stockholm Syndrome" thing. There doesn't seem to be any reason, not even just chemistry, for Miss B. to fall in love with her kidnapper. Except that it fits the plot.

It looks good on paper. And in fact, it was originally paper, being a book by James Hadley Chase. Kind of a British Dashiell Hammet, I suppose.

It ought to be good, but somehow it falls flat. And it isn't because it's a British production, there are lots of good British noirs, or even American noirs set in Britain (like Night and the City.)

I think a Jack La Rue double feature would be great-- THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE and NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH together one evening on TCM. Each story involves the mishandling of a female, and La Rue is outstanding in both pictures. I suspect that his work in TEMPLE DRAKE is what led to his casting in MISS BLANDISH.

I think a Jack La Rue double feature would be great-- THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE and NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH together one evening on TCM. Each story involves the mishandling of a female, and La Rue is outstanding in both pictures. I suspect that his work in TEMPLE DRAKE is what led to his casting in MISS BLANDISH.

I agree. I think Jack La Rue was a great character actor as a "bad guy", especially with women. I love his films. :)

• Like 1

I'm quite fond of this British attempt at an American tough guy drama. Not many will ever nominate Jack LaRue as a great actor but I found his casting very effective.

His decidedly casual attitude as he shoots someone effectively adds to the cold bloodedness of the moment.

Admittedly (the film is set in the U.S. if memory serves me correctly) the British accents are a bit jarring, but it's still a stylish and fun production, beautifully photographed with some great nightclub set design. I believe that British critics at the time of its release, however, turned on the film because of their perception of its nastiness.

de9c81e2-c887-4bde-b31a-8df4f307e6c2_zps

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings