Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lawrence Tierney Tonight!

Hibi

Thanks for the heads up, Hibi ! Born to Kill is pretty good, it's got Claire Trevor in it, and you can't go wrong with her.

I'm hoping I can stay awake for The Hoodlum.

Yeah, I saw Born to Kill the last Tierney night, so I'll skip it this time around. I dont think I've seen the films following it. Hope I have enough space on the DVR..........

Lawrence Tierney Tonight!

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like some weird new one-man-show theatrical production? But instead of homespun witticisms a la Mark Twain Tonight!, Larry will be going into the audience and beating up selected theatregoers.

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like some weird new one-man-show theatrical production? But instead of homespun witticisms a la Mark Twain Tonight!, Larry will be going into the audience and beating up selected theatregoers.

LMREO!!!! I shudder to think what a Lawrence Tierney Tonight show would entail. I wouldnt want to be in the first rows.........

Gawk ! I'd better pick a seat near the back, then !

Yeah, RichardKimble, I've heard stories about how Lawrence Tierney in real life was just as scary as his movie persona.

He made an appearance on an early Seinfeld show (I didnt know it was him until someone here pointed it out he had aged so much) and everyone was afraid of him! (LOL)...He played Elaine's dad.

He made an appearance on an early Seinfeld show (I didnt know it was him until someone here pointed it out he had aged so much) and everyone was afraid of him! (LOL)...He played Elaine's dad.

He also appeared in the very last Hill Street Blues. IIRC, he had the last line of dialogue and is the last person seen on screen.

He also appeared in the very last Hill Street Blues. IIRC, he had the last line of dialogue and is the last person seen on screen.

I didnt know that. I never watched that show. Seems fitting.......

Tierney also had a major role in the 1992 gangster movie Reservoir Dogs.  He was the same old Lawrence Tierney that we all have come to love (and keep our distance from).

LOL. That's right!

here's the schedule from the Tierney thread in 'Favorites':

8:00 PM Dillinger (1945)

The legendary gunman plots a series of daring heists.

DirMax Nosseck CastLawrence Tierney , Edmund Lowe , Anne Jeffreys .

BW-70 mins, CC,

9:15 PM Badman's Territory (1946)

A sheriff and a newspaperwoman take on a band of outlaws invading the Oklahoma panhandle.

DirTim Whelan CastRandolph Scott , George "Gabby" Hayes , Ann Richards .

BW-98 mins, CC,

11:00 PM Born to Kill (1947)

A murderer marries a young innocent then goes after her more experienced sister.

DirRobert Wise CastClaire Trevor , Lawrence Tierney , Walter Slezak .

BW-92 mins, CC,

12:45 AM Hoodlum, The (1951)

The rise and fall of a habitual criminal, and the havoc he wreaks on the lives of his loved ones.

DirMax Nosseck CastLawrence Tierney , Allene Roberts , Marjorie Riordan .

BW-62 mins, CC,

2:00 AM Step By Step (1946)

The FBI trails a young couple suspected of stealing government plans.

DirPhil Rosen CastLawrence Tierney , Anne Jeffreys , Lowell Gilmore .

BW-61 mins,

3:15 AM Back To Bataan (1945)

An Army colonel leads a guerrilla campaign against the Japanese in the Philippines.

DirEdward Dmytryk CastJohn Wayne , Anthony Quinn , Beulah Bondi .

BW-95 mins, CC,

5:00 AM San Quentin (1946)

An ex-con sets up a program to straighten out hard-core prisoners.

DirGordon M. Douglas CastLawrence Tierney , Marian Carr , Barton MacLane .

BW-66 mins,

Lawrence Tierney: George Raft with a body weight and height increase of approximately 20%, with approximately 15% better line-reading ability, and with overall approximately 10% better acting ability than Raft.

(...well, at least those are MY 'figures" anyway...though as usual, yours may vary)

Funny thing is that even with those modest increased "figures", I can usually believe Tierney in his roles, but whereas I could NEVER believe Raft in almost anything he was ever in...though once again with the exception of his turn in "Some Like It Hot", and where he was basically just parodying himself.

• Like 2

THE HOODLUM turned into a silent movie about 20 minutes in, just after we cut from the girl on the roof. It's just as well, the dialogue in this is just awful.

I guess this isn't the 2009 restored print from the UCLA.

Ahh - the sound is back, but the dialogue is still bad.

My sister who is two years older came home from an afternoon in Manhattan back around 1968 or so. She mentioned that she and her friends were walking near Central Park and horse lover that she is, she gave a horse an apple that she had with her. The coach driver thanked her for her kindness and in talking, he let it be known that he was in movies "before you were born."

She asked his name and said "I'll bet my brother knows of you, he knows all about films from those days." He told her to bring me around some day, we would get a free ride. We happened to be in the city a few weeks later, but we didn't spot him over by the park. I was sure that he didn't want to see me anyway.

• Like 1

Born to Kill, was that fun or what? Great sleezy characters!

So what was the deal with Mrs. Kraft & Laury and Steve & Marty, anyway? and how did Mrs. Kraft get away from Steve on the beach? We know Steve's a psycho, but wasn't Claire Trevor a wonderful cold-hearted stinker!?

Great flick! :)

220px-Borntokill.jpg

Born to Kill, was that fun or what? Great sleezy characters!

So what was the deal with Mrs. Kraft & Laury and Steve & Marty, anyway? and how did Mrs. Kraft get away from Steve on the beach? We know Steve's a psycho, but wasn't Claire Trevor a wonderful cold-hearted stinker!?

Great flick! :)

220px-Borntokill.jpg

THAT was Lawrence Tierney? I had seen Born to Kill a number of times, and never realized it was Elaine's father! Didn't see it last night, mr6666, sorry. Step By Step was an excellent little movie - Timmy's grandfather from Lassie, Marion Kirby from Topper, and Perry White from Superman! A baby boomer's delight - did RKO own the early television shows? I'm sorry I missed The Hoodlum.

RO said LT was a tough character even back then irl, and so they never made him a star. I thought Mitchum was a tough guy too, why wasn't LT given the same free pass?

His turn on Seinfeld still remains a must-see - George telling Elaine he's in da ba-troom was hilarious.

Thanks, TCM, wish I was paying more attention, you slipped in a classically classic on me. Glad I caught Step By Step.

Tierney was intended to be a a recurring guest star on Seinfeld, but those plans were dropped when he stole a knife from the kitchen set and hid it under his jacket. When questioned about it by Seinfeld, Tierney pulled it out and proceeded to mock stab Jerry in the heart, saying it was an idea for a joke he had. He was not invited back.

• Like 1

Tierney was intended to be a a recurring guest star on Seinfeld, but those plans were dropped when he stole a knife from the kitchen set and hid it under his jacket. When questioned about it by Seinfeld, Tierney pulled it out and proceeded to mock stab Jerry in the heart, saying it was an idea for a joke he had. He was not invited back.

As Elaine would say, get OUT of here! Thanks for the fascinating tidbit.

OMG, the guy was a looney! I love it, my kind of guy. I bet the Hollyweird gaggle of sheeple gave him wide berth.

Oh man, thanks mr6666. I 'think' I saw The Devil Thumbs A Ride, but I want to see it again, as well as Born To Kill. And all the others I missed yesterday. AND Reservoir Dogs, which I can barely watch, but don't recall his scenes, more's the pity. I'll have to re-watch it with one eye closed.

As I said, I think he wuz robbed - or born too early, take your pick - Mitchum was a tough guy irl, and did just fine. Johnny Cash went to prison, and did just fine. The idiots of today in Hollyweird who practically rob and kill do just fine.

Meanwhile, Scott Brady his brother is known for what? Was he a bowl of cream of wheat? :wacko:

I think I have a new hero. :) And yes, I am being partially facetious, as I am sure he was as much if not more of a misogynist than Lee Marvin.

• Like 1

Wow, that was a GREAT vintage clip, mr6666. It must have been from TCM's very early years, no?  I sure don't remember it over the past few days.

Big time old time, Andy. The woman doing the ads for TCM is long gone, unless I am mistaken. It had that classically classic feel to it.

mr6666, any idea on the narrator?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings