Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do thread views mean?

Since the new website features were launched and all the old thread views were reset at zero, these are my most viewed threads: 

News: ME-TV Cutting in on TCM's Audience............4778

Classic film pairings........4769

Summer Under the Stars Lineup August 2014.......4622

Why are some threads locked, words prohibited?....3543

Guest Programmer Dolores Hart tonight on TCM.....3272

Why do movie stars commit suicide?...2951

Hollywood's depictions of death on screen...2759

Classic yes but is it essential?....2595

News: Director blasts Leonard Maltin for inaccurate review....2476

So how many films have y-o-u recorded…?....2471

News: Kim Novak blasts bullies….2118

September 2014 Schedule.............1941

Any ideas who will be September's SOTM?.....1483

Movie Swan Song...............1074

News: Dame May Whitty more popular than Rock Hudson!...1071

Ruth Roman……..1037

On Broadway, but not in the movie....1022

It happened on this day.....1001

• Like 1

This is all I have to say about this thread:

From Dictionary.com:

Egotism: egoism refers to the preoccupation with one's ego or self. Egotism is the common word for obtrusive and excessive reference to and emphasis upon oneself and one's own importance. “His egotism alienated all his friends”. Egoism a less common word, is used especially in philosophy, ethics, or metaphysics, where it emphasizes the importance of or preoccupation with self in relation to other things: “sufficient egoism to understand one's central place in the universe”.

To me that is all what this thread is about plain and simple.

This is all I have to say about this thread:

From Dictionary.com:

Egotism: egoism refers to the preoccupation with one's ego or self. Egotism is the common word for obtrusive and excessive reference to and emphasis upon oneself and one's own importance. “His egotism alienated all his friends”. Egoism a less common word, is used especially in philosophy, ethics, or metaphysics, where it emphasizes the importance of or preoccupation with self in relation to other things: “sufficient egoism to understand one's central place in the universe”.

To me that is all what this thread is about plain and simple.

^Poster trying to start a fight on the boards. 

^Poster trying to start a fight on the boards. 

I am NOT trying to start a fight on the boards. I am just trying to point out the obvious to you...

How absurd is it that you need to start a thread mentioning just how many of your threads have received views since the boards were changed.

To me and some others here, this is an example of how you HAVE to tell us either how important you are or that you need to justify your existence here by pointing out how popular you are with the amount of threads you have created that people have viewed...

It would be far different and much more important if you had just as many REPLIES to your threads than just views. Don't you think?

To me, a more interesting and thought provoking exercise would be to see how many of those threads have replies to them, instead of just views. Views really mean nothing if there are no replies and discussions. Otherwise to me what you did at the start of this thread is just one big exercise in vanity and ego. Hence the dictionary meaning I posted.

And this was NOT meant to start a fight but rather maybe to get you to understand that just because you are able to start many threads on the boards, does not mean that just as many people are replying to your threads. In some cases like the Me-TV thread you are getting a lot of replies, but not every thread you start is doing that. Is there a correlation here?

One last thing. If you are so interested in pointing out various ideas and thoughts about film why not have a blog site? Maybe you do? Maybe people here would be interested in finding this out about you? Several people who post here have their own blog sites. Have you ever thought of this? And then there is the other TCM-related message boards called Silver Screen Oasis. Ever gone there?

• Like 1

How absurd is it that you need to start a thread mentioning just how many of your threads have received views since the boards were changed.

^Poster now on ignore until he can be more friendly.

^Poster now on ignore until he can be more friendly.

Fine. Place me on Ignore. I guess you are not capable of simply replying to a serious interpretive criticism, huh?

Darn it, fxreyman - this pointless thing had almost died and passed from view and then you come along and bump it to the top. I hope you're happy.

Oh no! Now I've done it too! Dang it all anyway - I'm blaming you for this.

Darn it, fxreyman - this pointless thing had almost died and passed from view and then you come along and bump it to the top. I hope you're happy.

Exactly. That is why a harmless little tongue-in-cheek thread ends up zooming to 2000 views in a hurry, because we have posters that cannot stay out of threads bossing other people around. If someone does not like a thread, find another one to post on.  And stop telling others how to post and where to post.  It is very discourteous behavior. 

Exactly. That is why a harmless little tongue-in-cheek thread ends up zooming to 2000 views in a hurry, because we have posters that cannot stay out of threads bossing other people around. If someone does not like a thread, find another one to post on.  And stop telling others how to post and where to post.  It is very discourteous behavior. 

And stop telling others how to post and where to post.

Have you BEEN on message boards lo these 20 years? :o :o :o :o

Well at least you did not place me on Ignore..... like someone did.

Boy how some people get the littlest bit upset when someone has the where with all to ask certain types of questions and or to make comments around here.

I know you have me on Ignore. So be it. It's not like I don't like the thread... all I was referring to was your egotistical behavior like posting this thread about how many views your threads have received since the website was changed. That's all.

If you can't tolerate other people's comments about what you post here then here is a suggestion: Pack it up and leave Dodge City or just stop giving your opinion about other people's threads, because everyone here has opinions and if you don't like someone's opinion then don't read the opinion. Or better yet provide some defense as to why it was so important in the first place to list your threads and the amount of views you have received.

You remind so much of several other posters who no longer post here simply because they could not stand the heat in the kitchen. They were all really big on self congratulating and telling everyone else how important they were.

I have been posting here since July 15, 2007. I think in all those years I have created something like 5 to 10 threads. I have just under 2,300 posts. That comes to an average of 1.12 posts per day. Some days I post a lot and then I go for days and weeks without posting anything else. I mostly read threads here and if I feel compelled to write something, then I do.

I felt like I needed to say something to you about this thread. If you can not defend yourself about why this thread and many of your other threads are so darn important then like I said earlier you should not be commenting on how other people write their threads.

• Like 1

since you enjoy spotting trends and cross referencing you should consider starting a sort of highlight reel thread where you identify threads that have lots of discussion going on and identifying key posts within them and the off topic turns they take, like how the hammer noir thread became a discussion of older men with younger women.

of course that would mean reading posts you wouldnt normally and emptying your ignore list.

Maybe I'm a dummy,  but what I see above is someone telling others how to post and where to post as well as bossing other people around.

No?   Isn't that a fair interpetation of this statement:  If someone does not like a thread, find another one to post on.

Or how about this one related to bossing people around: And stop telling others how to post and where to post.

• Like 2

a who's who sorted by state of residence and forum most frequently posted in

Yes, and we need an index of people who have other people on IGNORE, and a separate index of people who THINK other people have them on IGNORE, split into two sub-indexes: 1) those who are right, and 2) those who are wrong, and a full list of who is ignoring whom, and why, and a separate Index telling us if not, then why not? And another that tells us if so, then why so?

:)

• Like 1

Yes, and we need an index of people who have other people on IGNORE, and a separate index of people who THINK other people have them on IGNORE, split into two sub-indexes: 1) those who are right, and 2) those who are wrong, and a full list of who is ignoring whom, and why, and a separate Index telling us if not, then why not? And another that tells us if so, then why so?

Fred,

I don't understand why you are making light of people using the ignore comment-- especially when a few people think you have them on ignore because you do not directly post with them. I think some of these people do like you and do not know why you sometimes seem to be ignoring them. When feelings get hurt, it doesn't seem like something to joke about. Is it too much for all parties involved to practice a bit more sensitivity and empathy? Just wondering...

Fred,

I don't understand why you are making light of people using the ignore comment-- especially when a few people think you have them on ignore because you do not directly post with them. I think some of these people do like you and didn't know why you seemed to be ignoring them. When feelings get hurt, it doesn't seem like something to joke about. Is it too much for all parties involved to practice a bit more sensitivity and empathy? Just wondering...

Sorry, I was just sort of babbling. It had nothing to do with you, or the other guy.

Just babbling while I waiting for a good movie to appear on TCM. Just a joke, but not a joke about you. :) I read a lot of your research stuff. Interesting stuff.

Fred

everybody likes fred. he's the coolest guy in the room. even when he's cranky and gets cross with you, you like it cuz its fred bawling you out

Well thank you, Lucky.

Just think of it like I'm Gabby Hayes balling you out, you gall-derned son of a rattlesnake! :)

I think I'll change my name and my avitar to Gabby:

Well thank you, Lucky.

Just think of it like I'm Gabby Hayes balling you out, you gall-derned son of a rattlesnake! :)

i didnt even mind you calling me "the other guy." in fact i rather prefer flying under the radar.

you old horse thief