Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do thread views mean?

TopBilled

Yes, and we need an index of people who have other people on IGNORE, and a separate index of people who THINK other people have them on IGNORE, split into two sub-indexes: 1) those who are right, and 2) those who are wrong, and a full list of who is ignoring whom, and why, and a separate Index telling us if not, then why not? And another that tells us if so, then why so?

Hey, ya never know - it could reveal why TCM is losing viewers to the Nashville Network.

everybody likes fred. he's the coolest guy in the room. even when he's cranky and gets cross with you, you like it cuz its fred bawling you out

Fred reminds of the "old" guy who yells at the neighborhood kids to stay off his lawn.

But he is also very much like the next door retired neighbor I had growing up who would always be there to answer life's questions and provide great commentary on what he had seen his whole life. Just like Fred does here on the boards. Perspective only Fred can provide!

Keep it coming Fred!!!

• Like 1

Keep all your posts coming TopBilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

TopBilled, I'm co-opting your thread for a moment because I can't possibly find the one on the new boards, and I just wanted to mention in admiration that I like the immediate segue to these here threads when one clicks on 'community'. Previously, it went to the CFU.

Thank you, TCM. I'm getting less patient as I get older. :huh:

Keep all your posts coming TopBilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'd like to see TopBilled have his very own board here at TCM. Along with 'General Discussions' and 'Films and Filmmakers' and 'Off-Topic Chit Chat' and the rest, it'd be great if there was a 'TopBilled's Topics' board.

• Like 1

What do thread views mean?

That countin' beans is much funner. :)

Really, ND?!

Why, I've never noticed accountants being a particularly "fun loving" group!!!

(...what?!...are you NOW gonna tell me that those with engineering degrees are usually "the life of the party" TOO?...'cause I KNOW that AIN'T usually true...no offense to any engineers around here, however) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Since the new website features were launched and all the old thread views were reset at zero, these are my most viewed threads: 

News: ME-TV Cutting in on TCM's Audience............4778

Classic film pairings........4769

Summer Under the Stars Lineup August 2014.......4622

Why are some threads locked, words prohibited?....3543

Guest Programmer Dolores Hart tonight on TCM.....3272

Why do movie stars commit suicide?...2951

Hollywood's depictions of death on screen...2759

Classic yes but is it essential?....2595

News: Director blasts Leonard Maltin for inaccurate review....2476

So how many films have y-o-u recorded…?....2471

News: Kim Novak blasts bullies….2118

September 2014 Schedule.............1941

Any ideas who will be September's SOTM?.....1483

Movie Swan Song...............1074

News: Dame May Whitty more popular than Rock Hudson!...1071

Ruth Roman……..1037

On Broadway, but not in the movie....1022

It happened on this day.....1001

So I did a little homework today. I went back and counted 13 threads that you have started since last month. Some of the above threads were counted. Instead of doing what you did and count just the views, I counted both the views and the replies. And guess what?

Out of 13 threads I counted here on the General Discussions Forum these 13 threads had a total of 25,561 views. Guess how many replies to these 13 threads? 1,083 as of 3:15 PM MT today.

That comes to a grand total of 4.24% replies to your staggering total of 25,561 views. Not bad if you just count the views. But I say that having more replies is the far more important number because it is that number that shows just how many people are taking the time to respond to threads you have started.

Now lets take a thread that was started several years ago over on the Favorites Forum. The Annual Frank Grimes Torture Thread. That thread started by the late and great Kyle in Hollywood rest his soul, has a grand total of 3,784 views. Guess how many replies that thread has received?

12,466. This represents just over a 329% response rate to the total view count.

To me this second figure represents a much more powerful statement about replies than just stating that your threads are viewed more often. Any thoughts?

Frxeyman

There may be a fault with your analysis of the FrankGrimes thread. The total replies include all replies dating back to the inception of the thread. The Views count include ONLY those views that have been generated SINCE this latest upgrade. That's why there are so many more replies than views.

Second, I believe that is impossible to have a higher reply count than view count. I'm not 100% sure of this, but a reply also counts as a view. They are not tabulated separately. For instance, if four people view a thread but don't post, and two others view a thread but do post, the total views would be 6. The data would therefore read, 6 views, 2 replies, and NOT read, 4 views, 2 replies. I believe this is right but would stand corrected

But I agree that the Reply count is more indicative of popularity than the view count. And if there is quite a disparity between views and replies, i.e., 5,000 views, 25 replies, that would represent a lack of popularity. Given the haphazard and sometimes compulsive clicking behavior on a forum such as this, people might click on a thread for a variety of reasons, not necessarily because they think it is hot. In fact, a lot of views that don't result in a reply might indicate that the thread is not compelling, in fact, a downright bust. A reply indicates an active engagement and a much better indicator of popularity IMO.

There may be a fault with your analysis of the FrankGrimes thread. The total replies include all replies dating back to the inception of the thread. The Views count include ONLY those views that have been generated SINCE this latest upgrade. That's why there are so many more replies than views.

Okay, I concede that maybe my calculations could be wrong. This seems to be the only thread on the boards that have this upside down number going for it, of course I have not looked at every thread on the boards. I knew a long time ago that the replies on that thread were extremely high, that is why I selected that thread for a comparison.

So lets say that the actual view number is 25,000 instead of the 3,000 plus number that is stated on the thread. If the view count WAS 25,000 and the actual reply count was 12,487, then the reply % would be just under 50% which is a HUGE %. And that is why I still claim that having more replies is much more important than touting view counts.

But I agree that the Reply count is more indicative of popularity than the view count. And if there is quite a disparity between views and replies, i.e., 5,000 views, 25 replies, that would represent a lack of popularity. Given the haphazard and sometimes compulsive clicking behavior on a forum such as this, people might click on a thread for a variety of reasons, not necessarily because they think it is hot. In fact, a lot of views that don't result in a reply might indicate that the thread is not compelling, in fact, a downright bust. A reply indicates an active engagement and a much better indicator of popularity IMO.

I could not have said that better.

With only one member (that I know of) who cares to think that this stuff means anything at all, it's a little puzzling that you re-booted this topic, fxreyman.

Well let me just say this. Many people here on the message board go back and start up threads again even though some of those threads have not had any views or posts for a while. Do you have a problem with this?

As far as me bringing to light this thread again let me put it to you in a way that you might understand.....

The originator of this thread likes to go on and on about why each one of his other threads have such high view counts, right? Well to respond to him in a way that is not only productive but also to the point, why wouldn't I want go back to a thread where he himself started explaining why view counts matter? He is the one who keeps touting each thread he creates with comments about the number of views. This seemed to be the perfect time to start this thread up again. Not only this, but to comment the way I did limits me going into the other threads he has started and has made similar comments.

• Like 1

Well let me just say this. Many people here on the message board go back and start up threads again even though some of those threads have not had any views or posts for a while. Do you have a problem with this?

As far as me bringing to light this thread again let me put it to you in a way that you might understand.....

The originator of this thread likes to go on and on about why each one of his other threads have such high view counts, right? Well to respond to him in a way that is not only productive but also to the point, why wouldn't I want go back to a thread where he himself started explaining why view counts matter? He is the one who keeps touting each thread he creates with comments about the number of views. This seemed to be the perfect time to start this thread up again. Not only this, but to comment the way I did limits me going into the other threads he has started and has made similar comments.

Oh dear, what happened to the board credo of kindness and friendliness and fairness and freedom of speech for one and all?

You of all people,fxreyman, so beloved, so revered. Please, some dignity and benevolence from one so exalted as yourself.

Thank you so very much for allowing one and all to post their opinions, as we allow you to post your opinion.

Oh dear, what happened to the board credo of kindness and friendliness and fairness and freedom of speech for one and all?

You of all people,fxreyman, so beloved, so revered. Please, some dignity and benevolence from one so exalted as yourself.

Thank you so very much for allowing one and all to post their opinions, as we allow you to post your opinion.

Wow, I did not know that I was so revered and beloved so much around here. I was not aware of this.

You deduced by my comments on here that I was being mean spirited? Geeze, all I decided to do was to start this thread up again and this is the reaction I get from you. Are you sure you and TB are not related?

Well let me write a few things and set you straight, okay?

You don't see me crying wolf whenever someone has:

1. An opposite viewpoint.

2. Offers a legitimate counter opinion.

3. Just asks questions or offers comments and wonders why the other person can not or will not answer back.

4. Hypothesizes.

5. You also don't see me telling people I disagree with them and that I am placing them on ignore.

6. Nor will you ever see me report someone for being a jerk either.

7. I will never ever say the following to anyone here:  "Stop harassing me, or I will report you."

Now does this mean that sometimes I get a little testy with replies? Sure. Anyone who is human does, especially around here. You have.

But I always try to be fair with people. Now maybe what I consider fair others consider being negative like you seem to suggest here. When someone decides to offer their opinions about something and even writes something about hypothesizing, and I counter with a similar opinion, what happens?

That person posts that I am harassing them. That was clearly a leap. Clearly that was not the case on that thread. 

But when you sort of run out of ideas and or ways of describing how you feel and one of the emotions you feel is that some around here are picking on you or writing counter arguments to you, one can only deduce that the person can't stand the heat of the kitchen. In other words, if someone comes on here and starts pontificating their beliefs and or opinions but does not have the stomach for sometimes intense conversations and debates that include a lot of back and forth, then maybe they shouldn't be posting here as often.

No one is wrong here, right? I think for the most part everyone who comes here wants to write about their love of movies, actors, music, and many other things. Many of us have made quite a few friends over the years, we have also lost dear ones as well.

I don't ask a lot around here but what I do find disturbing is the following:

I wished that posters spend a little more time performing basic research before they write something and present something that they believe is a fact when what they are writing is clearly not accurate. That bothers me. Now maybe that bothers me because whenever I read something on threads that interest me or I think I would like to comment, and I don't know enough about the subject an or conversation, I perform as much research as I can before writing something. Many threads are just opinions and more info is not needed to justify a comment.

My feeling is that most folks here are very accomplished fans and that they do their fair share of research or at the very least have knowledge about what they are writing about and people like me don't have to do additional research. But some people are lazy and they want others to do all the heavy lifting for them.

Oh, before I forget.....

Thanks again for saying how revered I am around here. That was very nice of you to write that.

• Like 3

Me still no understand. Me have big problem with who are many people who let thread go away? Me think see obsession very much in fx man.

Me still no understand. Me have big problem with who are many people who let thread go away? Me think see obsession very much in fx man.

Now THAT'S gotta be THE worst Jay Silverheels impression I've EVER heard!!!

(...okay okay...read)

Now THAT'S gotta be THE worst Jay Silverheels impression I've EVER heard!!!

(...okay okay...read)

I see that as more of a caveman impression.  I was going to say the Monster from Frankenstein (because as well all know, the Monster is not named Frankenstein, that is the name of his creator) but the more I thought about it the more I don't recall the Monster ever talking in the classic 1931 movie, though he may have talked later.

Anyway, I digress and it would not be right of me to derail a thread when so often we remind people to stay on topic!

Regardless, let's all play nice folks. :)

Frxeyman

Second, I believe that is impossible to have a higher reply count than view count. I'm not 100% sure of this, but a reply also counts as a view. They are not tabulated separately. For instance, if four people view a thread but don't post, and two others view a thread but do post, the total views would be 6. The data would therefore read, 6 views, 2 replies, and NOT read, 4 views, 2 replies. I believe this is right but would stand corrected

This post makes little sense in my opinion. Not everyone is going to reply (for different reasons). To say that popularity has to be measured by the number of replies is a somewhat feeble attempt to skew the argument. Also, in quite a few cases, a reply consists of a smiley face or an 'I don't agree' or an off-topic joke so that is hardly indicative of a subject's real popularity. Therefore, we could have threads with more views than replies and people who are reading the contents are really digesting the information and on board with it, without having anything to add except maybe a 'like' while there are other threads with more unsubstantial replies (by the same posters).

Again, the above post is an attempt to defuse the claim that thread views count. They do count or TCM's message board would not tabulate them.

This post makes little sense in my opinion. Not everyone is going to reply (for different reasons). To say that popularity has to be measured by the number of replies is a somewhat feeble attempt to skew the argument. Also, in quite a few cases, a reply consists of a smiley face or an 'I don't agree' or an off-topic joke so that is hardly indicative of a subject's real popularity. Therefore, we could have threads with more views than replies and people who are reading the contents are really digesting the information and on board with it, without having anything to add except maybe a 'like' while there are other threads with more unsubstantial replies (by the same posters).

Again, the above post is an attempt to defuse the claim that thread views count. They do count or TCM's message board would not tabulate them.

No, I think what is happening quite often is that you simply do not agree with me and several others here who often post different viewpoints than you agree with. Hence the above referenced line.

Are you not the one trying to make the case that the total amount of views could be or should be the determining factor as to why a thread is popular? I mean aren't you the one who comes on many of the threads you have started and say things like:

"It's interesting to see that when this thread originated, the ME-TV thread had under 5000 views. Now it has reached 13,000 views. And this one has exceeded 1000."

Or this one in the ME-TV thread:

I know without a doubt that this thread will hit 12,000 views. This has been the easiest thread for me post on, because 95% of the replies were ones I could predict and I worked ahead on the counter-claims.  

The opposite is also true TB. I was not trying to skew any argument. You sir are the one who seems to think that the number of views are so important. Where as I believe the opposite.

I think the more replies a thread receives is definitely more important since that is the main goal is it not for posting a thread in the first place?

If some replies are smiley faces or attempts at humor, well that happens on many threads here on the message boards. Many replies are like that. But to sit here and suggest that "in quite a few cases" that is what is happening is patently false. You can look at many threads and the threads have very detailed responses by some folks where as others do not feel the need or desire to go into a lot of detail when responding. Overall I'd have to say that most responses in most threads are shorter ones not the long dissertations someone like me and others likes to write.

Would you only want to create threads and have more views than replies? Does it not seem to be more a possibility that a thread created should receive many replies since you or anyone else for that matter have decided to offer an opinion about something and you want people to comment? Would you rather have a fewer replies or many views?

On some of the threads you have started recently you HAVE posted questions. I am assuming then that if you are posting a question you want to receive answers rather than just views, is this not correct? Then a thread that has many more views than replies is a failure is it not?

You say that "Not everyone is going to reply (for different reasons). Okay, so you have already decided that many of the threads you start really aren't that important to you. You would rather clutter up the Forum with useless threads just so that you can post as many threads as possible to just be able to see how many views your threads get?

IMHO, this is ridiculous position.

• Like 1

I see that as more of a caveman impression.  I was going to say the Monster from Frankenstein (because as well all know, the Monster is not named Frankenstein, that is the name of his creator) but the more I thought about it the more I don't recall the Monster ever talking in the classic 1931 movie, though he may have talked later.

Anyway, I digress and it would not be right of me to derail a thread when so often we remind people to stay on topic!

Regardless, let's all play nice folks. :)

While I certainly loved and appreciated the manner you took in reminding people to "be nice" around here Mr. Admin(and btw, I think a better alternative to my "Jay Silverheels" joke to darkblue would have been to think of and use Tarzan's manner of fracturing the English language and not Frankenstein's Monster) I would like to ask you a question about this whole "going off-topic" thing in this thread.

You see, I've just went back to the OP's original post in his thread and re-read it, and I while I COULD be wrong here, I got the impression that his thread was primarily started to just call attention to his being the originator of so many threads which receive a high number of "viewings", and not so much the question as to "what do thread views mean?".

And so, as it seems to me that his thread title's "question" was offered up more in a rhetorical manner, and thus not apparently in an attempt to discover an answer to this query, I'm wondering here why going "off-topic"(and hopefully in a humorous fashion as I know you know I'm prone to around here) in this particular thread would or could be considered either "rude" and/or an "affront" to the OP or anyone else who's taken the time to reply in this thread?

(...thanks in advance for taking my query seriously and responding to it...oh, and yeah...if you'd like to use a little humor in your reply, that would of course be viewed by me as an "added bonus" TOO!) ;)

• Like 2

Thread views mean nothing.

You can read threads offline and this does not count towards thread views. Yet, the thread has been read.

I logged in, and just viewed this thread four times in succession to see if the counter would move. It never did. I visited other pages in this thead, even opened a window as if to post something.  The counter did not move. I've noticed this on other threads as well.

Therefore, data on thread views is not reliable, and thus, no conclusions can be drawn from data that are not reliable.

• Like 2

Thread views mean nothing.

You can read threads offline and this does not count towards thread views. Yet, the thread has been read.

I logged in, and just viewed this thread four times in succession to see if the counter would move. It never did. I visited other pages in this thead, even opened a window as if to post something.  The counter did not move. I've noticed this on other threads as well.

Therefore, data on thread views is not reliable, and thus, no conclusions can be drawn from data that are not reliable.

I agree. Have done the same thing you have done over multiple days and the same thing happens. The counter does not move.

As I have written several times now the only important number as far as this subject is concerned is the actual number of replies to a thread. If one is to pose a question in the first post of a thread, I think that having responses to that question is far and away the most important thing that can happen. You as the originator of the thread is actually receiving replies to the question you posted.

Making a major point out of having the most views is simply not that important and it should never be. As I wrote earlier, the Frank Grimes Torture Thread has over 12,000 replies. Now that is over a period of six years with more replies coming in certain years over other years, but it averages out to over 2,070 replies per year. When the average thread here probably has less than 100 replies in a year (IMO).

As you have so brilliantly observed, the view amount means really nothing when you look at the actual visitors who come here everyday. On most occasions, there are less than 20 members posting here on any given day or night. But there are many more visitors here or I should say that the people who are looking at threads are either not signed in or they are actual visitors and have not joined the MB community.

They do count or TCM's message board would not tabulate them.

Count for what? What "meaning" do they have?

You do realize that just a few people constantly viewing and posting in a thread can take a count anywhere they want it to go, right? Give the thread a trolling title to guarantee launch and go from there. So, what meaning should we take from that?