Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New to the Message Boards

bhryun

Hi everyone. I'm Jasmineleaf and am new to the boards here. I love watching classic films and find them much more interesting than the current films. I especially like the black and white films. I was wondering if the actors/actresses wore contact lenses in the old films of the 1940's or 1950's. I've never seen anyone wearing glasses and I'm sure they all didn't have 20/20 vision. I didn't think contacts were invented that far back though. In any case, I think TCM is fabulous, it's basically the only cable station I watch.

Welcome to the message board, Jasminegirl1234! You pose an interesting question about actors and actresses using contact lenses. The first contact lenses, which were glass and possibly quite painful, were introduced in the 1870's. It would be interesting to know if any of our favorite stars had to wear them. Anyway, enjoy your time here and let us know which movies and which stars you love. Have fun!

Jasmineleaf, welcome aboard. We can always use a new classic film lover here. Your question is very interesting and is something I never thought of. From what I understand, the first practical plastic lenses were introduced in the late 1930s so I guess some of the stars could have used them. I think it's more likely, they just didn't wear their glasses in the scene since they had memorized their lines. Of course, glass ones where used for special makeup jobs way back in silent days. Lon Chaney used them in a number of films. I'm under the impression that they were pretty painful, but a little thing like pain never stopped Lon.

I think the reason they didn't wear glasses in movies was that the studios thought that it detracted from the stars looks. Interestingly, sometimes when they wanted an actress to look more "intellectual", playing something like a librarian, they'd put glasses on her. I don't think it's much different today, just about everyone wears contacts.

However, if you all can recall, many wore glass's ptimarily to either punctuate a particular scene and/or just for effect. Crawford, Davis, Lupino, Ginger Rodgers and so many more stars all had specs on in many films BUT the men rarely as Gable, Power, Flynn, etc.

Hi again! Thanks for that nice "welcome". I've been reading some of the past threads and they look very interesting. It will take me a while to get through all of them.

Hi keithfrom & bggalaxy! I don't really have too many favorites - I just like watching black and white movies from the old days. I guess if I had to pick a couple of actors/actresses I like they would be Vivien Leigh, Clarke Gable, Marlon Brando, Bette Davis, James Cagney, Cary Grant, Robert Mitchum, James Stewart. They were all terrific. My favorite movies are, Gone With The Wind, Streetcar Named Desire, Wizard of Oz, Gaslight, North By Northwest, On The Waterfront and From Here to Eternity - just to name a few.

• 3 weeks later...

HI Jasminegirl.

Welcome and I am also new to the forum. I am so glad to have found it. I also love the movies of yesterday rather than any of the current ones. I collect old movies and their memoriabilia....I have a pretty good collection for one so young. Anyways...it is great to have you make sure to look in on some of the trivia threads, it's pretty exciting!

Oh, and some of my fav actors/actress are

claudette colbert

ginger rogers

jean arthur

dorothy mcguire

myrna loy

cary grant

robert young

ray milland

william powell

tabitha in tucson

Welcome to the boards.

I recently read "The Bennetts" and Joan Bennett wore glasses in real life, but not in the movies.

The only other stars I ever recall seeing with glasses, was when they were older. So, I don't know if it was just an age thing, or if they had worn them when they were younger.

Welcome Jasminegirl. Im not really new, but Ive been away for a couple of months. Hope you enjoy it here. Aside from my friends next door, the people here are the only ones I know that can understand a love/obsession with classic films, and can answer almost any question on the subject!

My favorites are the old horror films, silent films, and comedies.

Hi Jasmine! Welcome! I am fairly new too, and so glad I found these boards - now they can't shut me up. lol It's so wonderful to be able to talk about my obsession - classic movies - cuz other than my mother, there is no one around here to talk to about them. :-)

Interesting question about glasses - very interesting, IMO. Maybe the reason they never had anyone wearing glasses is cuz a lot of people are shallow - like me hehe. I have never in my life been 'attracted' to anyone wearing glasses. Not saying I never dated anyone who wore them - but I've never initially found anyone sexually appealing who wore glasses. And we all know that physical appeal is one thing that sells movies. Just my opinion.