Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ding Dong, Salinger's Dead!

CaveGirl

Now that good old J.D. has croaked...I mean, died, maybe his estate will allow "TCITR" to be filmed.

And if so, who should play Holden?

I realize we have some great possibilities here, right at the TCM site but who would YOU choose?

Maybe they will do something on the Glass family also, and other of his works.

I think he was wise to not marry Oona, as she would have dumped him for Chaplin eventually anyway doncha think?

At first I was going to suggest Liev Schrieber, but that was before I realized you were talking about who could play Holden Caulfied. I was thinking, if they made a bio-pic about J.D. Salinger, Liev would be a good choice to play J.D. himself.

We all know old J. D. would jump out of his grave and stop any making of a "Catcher in the Rye" movie, if he could. Maybe he'll haunt the set.

As for Holden Caulfield, I think an unknown actor would be best.

And he would have to be pretty young. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with current teenage actors to suggest one. (Maybe Tobey Maguire, if this were twenty years ago...)

Don't forget how much Holden himself despised movies and popular entertainment. I think both he and his creator would jump straight into a duck pond (or maybe a fish pond) if they could see all the nonsense going on in moviedom these days.

• Like 1

he said at one point he was considering leaving film rights to his wife and daughter as an insurance policy. with the recent internet leak of three unpublished works that may cost the estate millions there may be some new motivation for them to do so.

i'm not the fan of "catcher" that many are. i'd rather see a cinematic version of "esme."

How are you holding up?

Edited to say that I probably shouldn't reply to posts after taking a sleeping pill!

Quite well, quite well ... my riddle is an allusion touching upon the present subject.

A little off the, uh, wall, granted ... I'm hoping someone might be able to pick up on it

It has something to do with the 'love and squalor' story..

:)

Quite well, quite well ... my riddle is an allusion touching upon the present subject.

A little off the, uh, wall, granted ... I'm hoping someone might be able to pick up on it

It has something to do with the 'love and squalor' story..

Yes, that dawned on me a little too late.   :huh:   I look forward to the answer!

As a sidenote, I thought that My Foolish Heart was a much better film than Salinger gave it credit for being.

i think his objection was not that the film was poor but that it had nothing or very little to do with his story.

And bless you for "liking" my blunder!

He may have not liked your blunder for the reason you think. I thought your "How are you holding up?" was cute, I think he might have simply liked the idea that Laffite might have actually gone off the deep end.

:P

;)

• Like 1

gay your "how are you holding up?" reply is just as good as "meet you at the corner."

lafitte, i had forgotten that little bit. you've inspired me to dust off my copy of "nine stories" and reacquaint myself with esme, x and chales.

• Like 1

I think you are dead on, Miss W.! Natch I forgot how much Holden despised mass cultural things and he would be disgusted to be portrayed in such.

Golly gee, if I could have cast it way back I would have chosen that cherub-faced Brandon DeWilde as seeing him spit and be all disgusting would have been so enjoyable.

So sad that he got killed at such an early age...

Thanks for your thoughts and say "hi" to The Fat Man!

Dear Rewrite,

I live in Indiana...we just got the news about Salinger croaking.

LD, yes...Esme would be a good idea for a film, maybe before TCITR.

And Laffite, I just love your Member Portrait of "Lazy Legs".

Who painted that for the film...maybe John Decker?

Forget about movies, I am finding it much more interesting to follow the fascinating insinuations in this thread about some perhaps former member nicknamed "She Who Must Not Be Named". I only know of "She Who Must Be Obeyed" from that Ursula A. film, and am so insanely curious as to exactly who is being discussed here by Laffite, Swithin and others.

This mystery is almost as exciting to me, as the Rex Ingram one which involved his wife, Alice Terry and a whole cast of accomplices in North Africa or the man who used to post on this site, who liked to pretend he was the heir to the Doheny estate and I believe his name was Larry.

Unfortunately for him, casting himself as the scion of a daughter of the family who had failed to give birth or even adopt ever, was his downfall.

It was just like an old "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode in retribution when he was outed.

Thanks to those here who have whetted my interest in the mystery of SWMNBN. Salinger could not have written a better story. Maybe Fitzgerald could have though since he did write that "Myra Meets the Family" one, I think...

gay your "how are you holding up?" reply is just as good as "meet you at the corner."

lafitte, i had forgotten that little bit. you've inspired me to dust off my copy of "nine stories" and reacquaint myself with esme, x and chales.

I agree, GayD's answer to the riddle is just as good, but for Heaven's sake, don't tell Charles, he'll really have a fit this time.

:D

The critics lauded Salinger for his realistic depiction of children, something (apparently) not all good (or even great) authors can do. Nine Stories is full of them, if I may. The title character of "Teddy" a precocious (most of Salingers' "children" are precocious) child who, among other things, gets a kick of observing a mass of orange peels being thrown overboard as he peers through a port hole; a young girl in "Uncle Wiggily in Connecticutd" who has an imaginary friend, variously named Jimmy Jimmerino or Steve Steverino (this second name may be wrong but you get the idea); a little boy (a rare non-precocious one as I remember) who says "I don't care" and pays for it; and of course Sybil in "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" who invents the title non-existent species that has a deleterious effect (the invention part, that is) on Seymour. There may be more. Gosh, it's been literally decades, surprised I can remember this much. And Phoebe, Holden' younger sister, is another one. Gosh, Holden himself is practically a child. There, that will send you back to dust off the old books, it may do the same for me.

• Like 1

Forget about movies, I am finding it much more interesting to follow the fascinating insinuations in this thread about some perhaps former member nicknamed "She Who Must Not Be Named". I only know of "She Who Must Be Obeyed" from that Ursula A. film, and am so insanely curious as to exactly who is being discussed here by Laffite, Swithin and others.

This mystery is almost as exciting to me, as the Rex Ingram one which involved his wife, Alice Terry and a whole cast of accomplices in North Africa or the man who used to post on this site, who liked to pretend he was the heir to the Doheny estate and I believe his name was Larry.

Unfortunately for him, casting himself as the scion of a daughter of the family who had failed to give birth or even adopt ever, was his downfall.

It was just like an old "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" episode in retribution when he was outed.

Thanks to those here who have whetted my interest in the mystery of SWMNBN. Salinger could not have written a better story. Maybe Fitzgerald could have though since he did write that "Myra Meets the Family" one, I think...

I dedicate this post to Swithin and hope that he/she doesn't mind if I reveal the mystery:

Salinger's title "Raise High The Roof Beam, Carpernter" comes from SWMNBN. This latter is not a former member here. She is, in fact, a poetess of Ancient Greece, the great and famous S A P P H O, who cannot be named here on the site because her name is censored. Here she is merely ****. If you drop down to OFF-TOPIC CHIT CHAT, you will find a marvelous tribute to Sappho, a thread assiduously and with dedication maintained by Swithin. If you like poetry, or even don't like poetry, you might drop down and have a look. The title RHTRBC is the first line of one of her poems.

Swithin, I hope I haven't rained on your parade by revealing this.

BTW, CaveG, yes, Decker painted Lazy Legs, as well as all the other paintings in the movie. I see on IMBD that an exhibition of these paintings was held in New York in '46.

Thanks for liking the avatar. I have to tell you, my plan was to change it every once in a while but I have had such good reaction to this one, I am loathe to move on to another. I think I'm stuck with her.

• Like 1

very impressive lafitte. i actually did a little reading last night about "uncle wiggily" on a salinger site last night was reminded the jimmy jimereeno was killed by a car only to be immediately replaced by mickey mickaranno.

one piece i found mentioned that the dialogue driven story would have been better suited for a stage adaptation rather than film. i thought, damn, toss some stage direction into just about any salinger story and youve got a decent one-act play.

very impressive lafitte. i actually did a little reading last night about "uncle wiggily" on a salinger site last night was reminded the jimmy jimereeno was killed by a car only to be immediately replaced by mickey mickaranno.

one piece i found mentioned that the dialogue driven story would have been better suited for a stage adaptation rather than film. i thought, damn, toss some stage direction into just about any salinger story and youve got a decent one-act play.

Ah, mickey mickaroono, I knew that Steve one wasn't right, it made me think of Steve Allen and I thought 'no can't be'.

God forbid if anyone might have tried to either film or stage a Salinger story while he was living. In fact, I think they tried. I wonder what the situation is now. Does the Estate of J.D. Salinger have lawyers that are snortin' and ready to go if anyone should try to do so, even though he is now deceased?

One lingering mystery, namely, did he write stuff during all those years of self-imposed seclusion, and if so, will it ever see the light of day?

--

lafitte, how active an author he was in his reclusive years i don't know, but his unauthorized biographer (whom he sued) wrote in "in search of jd salinger" that he had two (i think) full length manuscripts locked in a safe.

then as i recently learned there were three unpublished stories that were leaked on the internet a year or so ago. don't know much more about them but if i find them i will post them here. what could happen?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings