Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Kid for Two Farthings

kingrat

I'd like to recommend the Essentials Jr. movie for Saturday, A Kid for Two Farthings. This unusual fable, funny and sad and romantic and wistful in various parts, is a most imaginative choice for the series. During WWII, a boy whose father is away at the war believes that the one-horned goat he finds at the market is a unicorn. Carol Reed is an excellent director of children, as The Fallen Idol demonstrates. The boy is the son of the wonderful character actress Rosalie Crutchley.

Celia Johnson plays the boy's mother, and Diana Dors adds some spice to the romantic subplot. This gentle fantasy, firmly set in London's East End, isn't for all tastes, but those who like it may like quite a lot.

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to this. I did tape it (as in, on VHS) once before but never got around to viewing it. I'll be able to watch it "live" this weekend though. Yea.

I requested the book on an inter-library loan but it still hasn't come in.

I saw A Kid for Two Farthings when TCM aired it a view years ago. In fact, I taped it. It's still kicking around somewhere; I would not tape over it because a) It's a pretty rare and unusual film, rare in that it seldom gets shown, and unusual in its story  and B) I liked it.

It's a sweet, gentle, and rather low-key little movie. Everyone in it is good, especially the kid. (couldn't resist ! you have to figure out which one I mean !)

What a wonderful film.

I am so glad that TCM aired it as part of the Essentials Jr schedule.

It was emotionally moving without being manipulative . . . or at least I did not feel that my emotions were being manipulated as happens so often in movies. But perhaps a skillful manipulator is one who can manipulate without seeming to do so  . . .

At any rate, I was genuinely moved to tears by this movie.

There were no montages (underscored by music) of the goat's cute antics, but I cared about the little "unicorn" all the same.

SPOLIER ALERT

I came to A KID FOR TWO FARTHINGS expecting a sad ending as so often happens in movies about animals yet somewhere along the way I found myself hoping against hope for a "magical" twist.

(After all, I expected the cat in I REMEMBER MAMA to die and was surprised by its recovery.)  

The movie's final image of Mr. Kandinsky (David Kossoff) carrying the "unicorn" was extremely powerful.

Ultimately, although there was no magical twist at the end, I think the movie is about the power of hope.

What did the boy say to his mother about the unicorn's eye in that scene before they left for the wrestling match?

I couldn't understand the word he was using. Maybe it was primarily a British one. 

a-kid-for-two-farthings.jpg?1317756173

kid%2B2%2Bfarthings03.jpg

• Like 2

It's a genuinely sweet and innocent movie, no saccharine, no manipulation of the audience's emotions. Or if there is, it's done so subtly that we don't notice or mind.

The poor little boy! What an innocent kid (it's awkward, you can't use the word "kid" when talking about this movie without specifying....)  I meant the boy, not the goat (unicorn.)

Although it was worlds apart in time and setting, it reminded me a little of The Yearling in the feeling it created, and in its depiction of an innocent young boy, a family who's experienced loss, and a creature who inspires love and hope in the child. Both films can make me feel like I'm going to cry, and I usually resist that in movies.

• Like 1

Although it was worlds apart in time and setting, it reminded me a little of The Yearling in the feeling it created, and in its depiction of an innocent young boy, a family who's experienced loss, and a creature who inspires love and hope in the child. Both films can make me feel like I'm going to cry, and I usually resist that in movies.

Yes, it definitely reminded me of THE YEARLING also . . . which is why I I think I had this feeling of foreboding early in the fim---thinking about THE YEARLING and actually most movies about animals.

But somewhere along the way I found myself hoping that somehow the magic of the "unicorn" would make wishes come true, just as the boy Joe did.

What a wonderful film.

I am so glad that TCM aired it as part of the Essentials Jr schedule.

(snip)

At any rate, I was genuinely moved to tears by this movie.

There were no montages (underscored by music) of the goat's cute antics, but I cared about the little "unicorn" all the same.

(snip)

I came to A KID FOR TWO FARTHINGS expecting a sad ending as so often happens in movies about animals yet somewhere along the way I found myself hoping against hope for a "magical" twist.

You summarized my own feelings about the film very well so I'll just add that, for me, it had something of an air of a Paul Gallico story with a twist of Thurber, or maybe Sturgeon. The wistful, whimsical parts were balanced by the glimpses of worry & day-to-day concerns on the lane. I was so hoping for a bit of magic there at the end though.

What did the boy say to his mother about the unicorn's eye in that scene before they left for the wrestling match?

I couldn't understand the word he was using. Maybe it was primarily a British one. 

I couldn't understand him either, just that one word. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings