Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any ideas who will be October's SOTM?

TopBilled

Last year it was Vincent Price.

These seem like the most classic choices if we're going with a star who appeared memorably in the horror genre:

Peter Lorre (selected in 2004)

Christopher Lee

Boris Karloff (selected in 2003)

Peter Cushing

Lon Chaney

Bela Lugosi

Mia Farrow

Anthony Perkins

Janet Leigh

These seem like the most classic choices if we're going with a star who appeared memorably in the horror genre:

Peter Lorre (selected in 2004)

Christopher Lee

Boris Karloff (selected in 2003)

Peter Cushing

Lon Chaney

Bela Lugosi

Mia Farrow

Anthony Perkins

Janet Leigh

DING, DING, LADIES AND MONSTERS, WE HAVE A WINNER!

• Like 1

I'd like to add the possibility of Jack Palance. He may not be as much of a star or as "classic" as some others, but memorable in the horror genre he definitely was. I think he'd be a great choice. He always lit up the films he was in, horror or otherwise.

But Lon Chaney should not be kept on hold any longer! In addition to the horror movies in regular rotation there are many of his films that have never or almost never been shown. He's the natural choice that they don't want to resort to, probably because just about all his films are silent. That shouldn't keep anyone away, not classic film fans, and especially not TCM programmers!

2 votes for Lon Chaney. :)

• Like 2

Considering her iconic status and the fact she was an MGM contractee (with many of her films in the Turner Library), it is surprising that in 20 years TCM has never featured Janet Leigh as a Star of the Month.

Wonder why she's been overlooked...?

Another slightly less obvious choice, if we're thinking about performers best known for their work in the horror genre, would be Fay Wray

Among her most notable entries in the genre: King Kong ('33), The Most Dangerous Game ('32), Mystery of the Wax Museum ('33), The Vampire Bat ('33), and Doctor X ('32). 

Another slightly less obvious choice, if we're thinking about performers best known for their work in the horror genre, would be Fay Wray

Among her most notable entries in the genre: King Kong ('33), The Most Dangerous Game ('32), Mystery of the Wax Museum ('33), The Vampire Bat ('33), and Doctor X ('32). 

I agree that Fay Wray would be a good choice. If we add in her smaller supporting roles from the 1950s, there are enough of her films in the Turner Library to make such a tribute feasible.  Plus, it would be nice for a change to see a female star representing the horror genre in October.

Considering her iconic status and the fact she was an MGM contractee (with many of her films in the Turner Library), it is surprising that in 20 years TCM has never featured Janet Leigh as a Star of the Month.

Wonder why she's been overlooked...?

I'm also surprised that Janet Leigh has never been SOTM, although I think Susan Hayeard deserves it much more. Maybe Janet Leigh, while she was alive, turned down TCM's requests to do on-air comments.

I'm also surprised that Janet Leigh has never been SOTM, although I think Susan Hayeard deserves it much more. Maybe Janet Leigh, while she was alive, turned down TCM's requests to do on-air comments.

Actually, she did a very loving voice over in memory of Norma Shearer (who discovered her), and TCM airs it fairly often.  

They should feature her as SOTM, and it would be nice if they had her daughters Kelly and Jamie Lee do a voice over for her.

Actually, she did a very loving voice over in memory of Norma Shearer (who discovered her), and TCM airs it fairly often.  

They should feature her as SOTM, and it would be nice if they had her daughters Kelly and Jamie Lee do a voice over for her.

I thought I had recalled Janet doing something in that realm. I'll bet if she was still alive, she'd be SOTM.

I thought I had recalled Janet doing something in that realm. I'll bet if she was still alive, she'd be SOTM.

If my records are correct,  Tony Curtis has never been SOTM.    Doesn't he have a strong set of films than his ex-wife?

Maybe TCM should have both of them as SOTM in the same month.    This way TCM could focus more on their pre-1970 films (that would keep Fred happy!).

If my records are correct,  Tony Curtis has never been SOTM.    Doesn't he have a strong set of films than his ex-wife?

Maybe TCM should have both of them as SOTM in the same month.    This way TCM could focus more on their pre-1970 films (that would keep Fred happy!).

Yes, neither one has been a Star of the Month on TCM. Curtis was under contract with Universal for much of his motion picture career, so it wouldn't be as easy for TCM to create a month-long tribute for him as it would for Leigh, who spent years at MGM. Though if TCM could do a month for Rock Hudson, they surely could try to do one for Tony Curtis. 

Both Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh, however, did have SUTS tributes back in 2008-- and their days were back to back.

Yes, neither one has been a Star of the Month on TCM. Curtis was under contract with Universal for much of his motion picture career, so it wouldn't be as easy for TCM to create a month-long tribute for him as it would for Leigh, who spent years at MGM. Though if TCM could do a month for Rock Hudson, they surely could try to do one for Tony Curtis. 

Both Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh, however, did have SUTS tributes back in 2008-- and their days were back to back.

Well being back to back in 2008 was as close as those two came after they spli!      (it is clear from that Osborne interview of Tony that he is very bitter towards Janet).

Well being back to back in 2008 was as close as those two came after they spli!      (it is clear from that Osborne interview of Tony that he is very bitter towards Janet).

I don't think she was bitter towards him, at least not after awhile. She said some very positive things about his career and legacy before she died. I don't know the whole family business, and he had a child with another one of his wives, but I think he felt that he provided substantially for his kids over the years and they did not appreciate him, which is something he blamed on the mothers. At least that is my take on it.

I don't think she was bitter towards him, at least not after awhile. She said some very positive things about his career and legacy before she died. I don't know the whole family business, and he had a child with another one of his wives, but I think he felt that he provided substantially for his kids over the years and they did not appreciate him, which is something he blamed on the mothers. At least that is my take on it.

My 'take on it' is very similar to yours (but I didn't know how Janet felt towards him).     I can't remember ever seeing an interview where a person was so open about themselves.

That Tony has never been SOTM is a MAJOR shock. Is somebody going to play the anti-semitism card?

I am not expecting it to happen but I would love for Bela Lugosi to be October's SOTM.  It would require them to show many of his Universal films which could be a problem, but he is well over due for this honor.  I seem to recall some years ago, at least 10, he was hilighted in the month of October for one night only. 

Janet Leigh deserves to be a SOTM some time, but I think TCM might go for Lon Chaney this October.

Maybe you don't like to compare who should be SOTM before someone else,  so feel free to ignore my question;

But doesn't Leigh's ex-husband,  Tony Curtis have a stronger legacy of films than Leigh?    But to avoid having to make a choice I proposed that TCM have a Husband\Wife SOTM;   The format would be the same as SOTM (one day per week, with about 4 films),  but they could pick films from either of the two.    Of course often these couples stared in a few films togethere.  

This could be a way to feature stars like Granger\Bennett etc...    For those with multiple spouses TCM could feature even more than two stars!  

I think both Curtis and Leigh would be great choices, whether apart or together.  Both actors have films that I'd be interested in seeing. 

Did they ever make a film together?

Some other SOTM choices I'd like to see:

Claude Rains

Anne Baxter

Alan Hale

Jack Lemmon

William Holden

Rita Hayworth

Glenn Ford

Basil Rathbone

Jean Arthur

Carole Lombard

Claudette Colbert

I think both Curtis and Leigh would be great choices, whether apart or together.  Both actors have films that I'd be interested in seeing. 

They made several together:

HOUDINI (1953)

THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH (1954)

THE VIKINGS (1958)

THE PERFECT FURLOUGH (1958)

WHO WAS THAT LADY? (1960)...this one airs occasionally on TCM.

And they both had cameos in PEPE (1960).

Some other SOTM choices I'd like to see:

Claude Rains

Anne Baxter

Alan Hale

Jack Lemmon

William Holden

Rita Hayworth

Glenn Ford

Basil Rathbone

Jean Arthur

Carole Lombard

Claudette Colbert

Well all of the above have been SOTM except Anne Baxter, Alan Hale and Basil Rathbone.    Both Baxter and Rathbone were stars but Hale was only a supporting player.    Of course with Hale you would get more Flynn films!   (along with a lot of other Warner stars like Cagney).

Note I'm not sayin I don't want stars to be SOTM more than once but other may feel that there are other stars that have never been SOTM that should get their due first.     But hey,  like you with Flynn,   I can't get enough of Jean Arthur!   (I just wish TCM would get access to more of her early Columbia films).

Well all of the above have been SOTM except Anne Baxter, Alan Hale and Basil Rathbone.    Both Baxter and Rathbone were stars but Hale was only a supporting player.    Of course with Hale you would get more Flynn films!   (along with a lot of other Warner stars like Cagney).

Note I'm not sayin I don't want stars to be SOTM more than once but other may feel that there are other stars that have never been SOTM that should get their due first.     But hey,  like you with Flynn,   I can't get enough of Jean Arthur!   (I just wish TCM would get access to more of her early Columbia films).

A lot of people I'd like to see featured as SOTM I see have been featured, some multiple times.  I haven't had TCM since its inception like a lot people here on the board seem to have.  Part of it is due to my age, when TCM debuted, I was 10, so obviously, I didn't have much of a say in what cable package my parents selected.  We had the channel for a few years when it first premiered as it was part of Comcast (I think it was Viacom at the time)'s extended basic cable package, which is what my parents always had.  Of course, being only a preteen/early teenager, I wasn't really researching the schedules to see who was SOTM.  I didn't subscribe to the "Now Playing" guide and didn't watch the channel on a regular basis.  At that age, I was (and still am) a huge Lucille Ball, Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn and Bette Davis fan.  I used to search the schedules just to see if any of my favorites were going to be on and if the movie was on at a reasonable time.  I'd try to set stuff up on the VCR to record, but it was only reliable about 50% of the time.  Then at some point in the late 90s/early 00s, TCM became a premium channel and I lost access to it.  I could only watch AMC, which was okay; but they rarely played movies I wanted to see.  I used to watch the Laurel & Hardy, Three Stooges and Marx Brothers marathons they'd have; but that's about it.   

Suffice it to say, I didn't get TCM again until I got my first real apartment in 2007.  Then I made sure to get the digital cable package that included TCM.  At last my favorite channel and I were reunited.  Anyway, so it seems that a lot of my favorite stars were featured as SOTM prior to 2007, so I'd love to see them featured; even though I'm sure many here would find those stars tiresome. 

Anyway, I'm always trying to work more angles to get more Flynn on the schedule.  Except at this point, I own/seen most of his films, so I'm not deprived at all.  I'm willing to see more stars featured aside from my beloved Errol.  I'd also like to see Arthur showcased, I missed her the first time around and haven't seen much of her work and I'd like to. 

I have another suggestion for SOTM: Raymond Massey.  I enjoyed him in Arsenic and Old Lace, Santa Fe Trail, and The Woman in the Window and I'd like to see more of his work.

They made several together:

HOUDINI (1953)

THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH (1954)

THE VIKINGS (1958)

THE PERFECT FURLOUGH (1958)

WHO WAS THAT LADY? (1960)...this one airs occasionally on TCM.

And they both had cameos in PEPE (1960).

If they were SOTM together, that would imply that they were a long-term happily married couple, like Newman and Woodward. That was not the case.

If they were SOTM together, that would imply that they were a long-term happily married couple, like Newman and Woodward. That was not the case.

Kate Hepburn and John Wayne, who only made one film together and were not romantically involved, were SOTM together. 

The only time I think there should be more than one SOTM at the same time is if it was a famous act that defined a large part of their career by appearing together on stage, television and in films. There are many of those, mostly comedy acts, that would qualify. But a husband-wife duo that made a few films together isn't exactly what I'm thinking.

A lot of people I'd like to see featured as SOTM I see have been featured, some multiple times.  I haven't had TCM since its inception like a lot people here on the board seem to have.  Part of it is due to my age, when TCM debuted, I was 10, so obviously, I didn't have much of a say in what cable package my parents selected.  We had the channel for a few years when it first premiered as it was part of Comcast (I think it was Viacom at the time)'s extended basic cable package, which is what my parents always had.  Of course, being only a preteen/early teenager, I wasn't really researching the schedules to see who was SOTM.  I didn't subscribe to the "Now Playing" guide and didn't watch the channel on a regular basis.  At that age, I was (and still am) a huge Lucille Ball, Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn and Bette Davis fan.  I used to search the schedules just to see if any of my favorites were going to be on and if the movie was on at a reasonable time.  I'd try to set stuff up on the VCR to record, but it was only reliable about 50% of the time.  Then at some point in the late 90s/early 00s, TCM became a premium channel and I lost access to it.  I could only watch AMC, which was okay; but they rarely played movies I wanted to see.  I used to watch the Laurel & Hardy, Three Stooges and Marx Brothers marathons they'd have; but that's about it.   

Suffice it to say, I didn't get TCM again until I got my first real apartment in 2007.  Then I made sure to get the digital cable package that included TCM.  At last my favorite channel and I were reunited.  Anyway, so it seems that a lot of my favorite stars were featured as SOTM prior to 2007, so I'd love to see them featured; even though I'm sure many here would find those stars tiresome. 

Anyway, I'm always trying to work more angles to get more Flynn on the schedule.  Except at this point, I own/seen most of his films, so I'm not deprived at all.  I'm willing to see more stars featured aside from my beloved Errol.  I'd also like to see Arthur showcased, I missed her the first time around and haven't seen much of her work and I'd like to. 

I have another suggestion for SOTM: Raymond Massey.  I enjoyed him in Arsenic and Old Lace, Santa Fe Trail, and The Woman in the Window and I'd like to see more of his work.

I understand that.many of your favorites.have been SOTM before you became a regular.TCM viewer. But these stars get TCM love all year, every year; there is no dearth of their films being.shown on the station. There are many other legitimate.golden.era.stars that.have not been so honored, and. I feel that.TCM should make more of an effort.to feature them before repeating someone that has already been SOTM. Most of the stars.working largely for Fox, Paramount and Universal have that as an obstacle. But many also did films.elsewhere, and TCM has played movies from these.studios recently, especially Fox. Last night's tribute to SOTM Maureen O'Hara.is a good illustration,.with two.premieres of movies she did.at Fox.

With regards to Raymond Massey;  Check out The Scarlet Primpernel with Leslie Howard and Merle Oberron.   Massey gives a great full of life performance in this very fine movie.   

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings