Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News: TO BE OR NOT TO BE airing 4 times this summer on TCM

TopBilled

By now, every time I see To Be Or Not To Be on the schedule, I channel my inner Stanislav Sobinski and schedule a hike out of the theater.  And then I do a search for Concentration Camp Erhardt's phone number and point him towards the schedule maker.

And hell, I LIKE this film.  I can only imagine my reaction if I didn't. :)

• Like 1

1ham.png

To be or not to be watching all these broadcasts, dear Ham-- that is the question.

1haml.png

The Ernst Lubitsch version with Jack Benny is airing three times-- on June 28, July 31 and August 10.

1hamlet.png

Plus we have the Mel Brooks remake on July 31.

imgres-117.jpg

This is actually my least favorite of Lubitsch's well-known films. I think it has been overrated because of Lombard's untimely death before release.

This is actually my least favorite of Lubitsch's well-known films. I think it has been overrated because of Lombard's untimely death before release.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I enjoy it, but it is not a Lubitsch essential or a Lombard essential-- both made other better films. 

And another thing, because it's a UA release, TCM is able to air it more easily. If it was a Paramount picture like many of Lombard and Lubitsch's other works, TCM would not be paying all this money to license it as often from Universal. They would show it, but not so often.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I enjoy it, but it is not a Lubitsch essential or a Lombard essential-- both made other better films. 

And another thing, because it's a UA release, TCM is able to air it more easily. If it was a Paramount picture like many of Lombard and Lubitsch's other works, TCM would not be paying all this money to license it as often from Universal. They would show it, but not so often.

So your saying the more TCM pays for a film the more they show it? .    That makes sense under the concept of 'getting one's monies worth').       (I only ask because I'm not sure what you mean by 'able to air it more EASILY').

I guess TCM pays only a penny for North by NorthWest.

So your saying the more TCM pays for a film the more they show it? .    That makes sense under the concept of 'getting one's monies worth').       (I only ask because I'm not sure what you mean by 'able to air it more EASILY').

I guess TCM pays only a penny for North by NorthWest.

No that is not what I am saying. I know someone is going to come along and post a comment from a TCM exec about this. LOL

Sometimes they lease a rare film just once from Universal-- sometimes it is part of a package with other films from Universal. And sometimes they lease a film for multiple airings if it is going to be used as an Essential or for other special programming.

But many of the UA titles are already in the Turner Library-- so that makes TO BE OR NOT TO BE (the '42 version) something they can access a bit more easily. If this was a film owned by Universal, it would not show up as often on TCM. And then there's the idea that if TO BE OR NOT TO BE was in the public domain, then it would be on TCM all the time.  So thank goodness that is not the case. :)

No that is not what I am saying. I know someone is going to come along and post a comment from a TCM exec about this. LOL

Sometimes they lease a rare film just once from Universal-- sometimes it is part of a package with other films from Universal. And sometimes they lease a film for multiple airings if it is going to be used as an Essential or for other special programming.

But many of the UA titles are already in the Turner Library-- so that makes TO BE OR NOT TO BE (the '42 version) something they can access a bit more easily. If this was a film owned by Universal, it would not show up as often on TCM. And then there's the idea that if TO BE OR NOT TO BE was in the public domain, then it would be on TCM all the time.  So thank goodness that is not the case. :)

Others around here keep saying that TCM no longer has a 'Turner Library' and that they have to lease all the non public domain films they show even the WB and MGM ones (the core of the library).

We need a TCM exec to answer this question.

I wish they'd show Cluny Brown again. It's the great unsung Lubitsch triumph. They aired it on Christmas Eve years ago and Osborne has mentioned it a few times since; I think it maybe played at the festival, am I right?

But I'm pretty sure it has not aired on TCM since.

I cannot think of a child alive whose interest you could hook with To Be or Not to Be.  I hope this is the last summer they feel obliged to pad Hader's ego.

Next year: Das Boot !

• Like 1

Others around here keep saying that TCM no longer has a 'Turner Library' and that they have to lease all the non public domain films they show even the WB and MGM ones (the core of the library).

TCM apparently has to pay Warner to use it but they also seem to get first dibs on everything in it; films from the Turner Library rarely show up on non-Turner channels but the non-Turner Warner films do.

Oh, and To Be or Not to Be isn't a Turner title, not anymore. It was only licensed by them and the group of films it belongs to (which also includes Stagecoach) are now distributed by others (Janus Films over here, StudioCanal in Europe.)

James,

In the archives is a post from TCMProgrammer about the Turner library. When Ted Turner merged his media empire with Time-Warner back in the 1990s, the Turner film library (pre-1986 MGM films, the RKO film library and the pre-1948 Warner films) was part of that deal. Warner Brothers now controls that library.

Like the films it rents from other studios, TCM has to pay Warners for the rental of films they once owned.

James,

In the archives is a post from TCMProgrammer about the Turner library. When Ted Turner merged his media empire with Time-Warner back in the 1990s, the Turner film library (pre-1986 MGM films, the RKO film library and the pre-1948 Warner films) was part of that deal. Warner Brothers now controls that library.

Like the films it rents from other studios, TCM has to pay Warners for the rental of films they once owned.

Ok,  thanks for that info.    Do you know if TCM is paying to rent all of the films that are is this 'Turner library'  or does TCM rent only select films from the library?

Oh,  and how long does it take for TCM to rent a film from said library?    e.g.  programmer places an order over the Internet and a digital copy is sent over all in 'real time'?   

That last questions relates to how long it would take for TCM to aquire films they are NOT currently renting.    Now I assume this time period is very short for films owned by Warners and longer (maybe a lot longer),   for films from studios like Universal, Fox, Paramount and Columbia.  

Interestingly, TO BE OR TO BE had the prime spot on TCM last night-- and it did not make the list of most-searched titles on the database.

Does this mean that people are getting turned off to the film??? The other two Jack Benny films, rare Paramount titles from the 1930s, did make the list.

I consider myself a big Lubitsch fan, but I must admit after the Essentials viewing that To Be Or Not To Be is not my favorite.

Perhaps after all these years of Hogan’s Heroes etc., the charm of the Nazi farce has worn off.  I’m sure at the time, however, this was most daring.

I also had a problem finding so much humor in Carole Lombard’s character inviting the service men back to her dressing room during her husband’s soliloquy.  Guess I’m just not sophisticated enough.

However, thanks to LornaHansonForbes' query and the FredCDobbs link, I also watched Cluny Brown via YouTube.  (Robert mentioned how much he liked it again following To Be Or Not To Be.)  What a charmer - Jennifer Jones’ performance reminded me somewhat of the tone of Amelie.  Charles Boyer was also wonderful, but who knew that the Czechs speak French?!  For Lubitsch completists I recommend it highly.  Hope TCM will schedule it again before too long.  Thanks again LHF and FCD for helping me find it.

• Like 1

I agree, Cluny Brown needs to be seen on TCM again soon, as it is a fantastic film. As for To Be or Not to Be, I like both versions (1942 and 1983) but I think one screening for both of them this summer would be sufficient. (And another Lubitsch film, Trouble in Paradise is showing twice in September, although there is nothing wrong with that, as that too is a wonderful film.)

Lubitsch's best-------THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER, TROUBLE IN PARADISE, HEAVEN CAN WAIT, DESIGN FOR LIVING, NINOTCHKA

thanks for all the positive feedback on Cluny Brown. It is so ahead of its time.

I will forever remember the christmas eve that Osborne had the film shown. I am a very Grinchy person. I do not like Christmas. Cluny Brown cheered me up so.

I will forever be indebted to Bob O. for showing it and brightening what is, sorry, an ick time of year for me; and I always try to catch his "picks" as such.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings