Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FIRST A GIRL, 1935

Did anyone happen to see First a Girl, 1935, last night?  (Or morning maybe, for some.)  It was based on the German Viktor und Viktoria, 1933 and a precursor to the much ballyhooed Victor and Victor.  (Clearly many are aware of this, so forgive me if I state the obvious.)  What a delight, especially the performance of Jessie Matthews, a British actress I'd not heard of.  It also starred the charming Anna Lee and actor Sonnie Hale.  I don't know if TCM has aired this before (I've not seen it in my many years of watching), but hope it's shown more regularly.  

I did not have opportunity to watch it when it aired and so it was recorded. I am waiting for a time when I will not be disturbed to watch it. I have not watched it in many years and I remember it fondly.

I like Jessie Matthews very much. I will recommend: There Goes the Bride (1932) and It's Love Again (1936).

Yes, TCM has aired this little charmer a number of times in the past, though not recently.  And I imagine they will air it again, rarely, so be ready with your recorders.

Jessie Matthews was a huge star in England in her day.  Something like Judy Garland, Ginger Rogers, Jane Powell, and Ann Miller combined.  She was almost unknown here, maybe because she wanted to keep her focus on her home country, or because her appeal was particularly for the British.  Can't understand that.  I fell in love with her the moment she first appeared on the screen.

• Like 1

I did not have opportunity to watch it when it aired and so it was recorded. I am waiting for a time when I will not be disturbed to watch it. I have not watched it in many years and I remember it fondly.

I like Jessie Matthews very much. I will recommend: There Goes the Bride (1932) and It's Love Again (1936).

I'll look for those movies.  She was a revelation!  

Yes, TCM has aired this little charmer a number of times in the past, though not recently.  And I imagine they will air it again, rarely, so be ready with your recorders.

Jessie Matthews was a huge star in England in her day.  Something like Judy Garland, Ginger Rogers, Jane Powell, and Ann Miller combined.  She was almost unknown here, maybe because she wanted to keep her focus on her home country, or because her appeal was particularly for the British.  Can't understand that.  I fell in love with her the moment she first appeared on the screen.

She is captivating.  I hope TCM airs more of her movies.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Jessie Matthews very much. I will recommend: There Goes the Bride (1932) and It's Love Again(1936)

I KNEW there had to be more Jessie Matthews than just FIRST A GIRL and EVERGREEN, the only 2 I've ever seen on TCM. 

People are obviously captivated by her (me included) why aren't her films more circulated? I can't even find her films on DVD.

• Like 1

I like Jessie Matthews very much. I will recommend: There Goes the Bride (1932) and It's Love Again(1936)

I KNEW there had to be more Jessie Matthews than just FIRST A GIRL and EVERGREEN, the only 2 I've ever seen on TCM. 

People are obviously captivated by her (me included) why aren't her films more circulated? I can't even find her films on DVD.

Good question, TikiSoo.  I've watched lots of clips and a documentary online since seeing First a Girl and would love to see all of her movies.  Maybe TCM will consider a Jessie Matthews evening?  Early morning?  I'll take anything!

A few years ago my film group screened EVERGREEN and was instantly hooked. 

I caught half of THERE GOES THE BRIDE on my PBS movie channel, so that indicates her movies most likely are offered in a public domain broadcast "package".  That broadcast was so grainy & tinny (unwatchable) so possibly anything available isn't up to TCMs standards.

I asked my movie buddy about it and he is stumped too. Jessie Matthews was so wildly popular in her day, it's amazing there are no "restoration" version box sets of her movies out there.

Josephine Baker movies are pretty esoteric, and those have been restored and released on DVD, why not Jessie Matthews?

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago my film group screened EVERGREEN and was instantly hooked. 

I caught half of THERE GOES THE BRIDE on my PBS movie channel, so that indicates her movies most likely are offered in a public domain broadcast "package".  That broadcast was so grainy & tinny (unwatchable) so possibly anything available isn't up to TCMs standards.

I asked my movie buddy about it and he is stumped too. Jessie Matthews was so wildly popular in her day, it's amazing there are no "restoration" version box sets of her movies out there.

Josephine Baker movies are pretty esoteric, and those have been restored and released on DVD, why not Jessie Matthews?

I agree; she should be remembered!  I wonder if her films are available at all in England.  Someone so wonderfully talented and special shouldn't be allowed to slip into obscurity.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings