Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quality items for the discerning scrounger

NipkowDisc

This is not film-related but I gotta crow about my good fortune. :) I'm always looking for good quality items in this trash area I frequent. Last nite I found a discarded CD sound system, a Philips fw-c250 mini hifi system to be exact. It has a 3-disc changer and a dual cassette deck too. I have yet to check it out with my headphones today to see if it works. What I'm really delighted about though are the speakers. Two very snazzy-looking realistic Minimus 7 speakers. Each is silver with a polished aluminum body. Two vintage items there. They don't make 'em like that anymore.  :)  They are small but heavy. I like that. Heavy duty paperweights.  :D  The unit puts out 60 watts. 30 watts for each speaker and the Minimus 7s handle up to 40 watts. Well, whatta yooz guys think?  ;)

sdd0y9.jpg

What do I think, ND? Well, I think you made a great find here.

(...though I ALSO think, and not to nitpick here, that your thread probably belongs in the "Off Topic Chit-Chat" forum, instead) ;)

What do I think, ND? Well, I think you made a great find here.

(...though I ALSO think, and not to nitpick here, that your thread probably belongs in the "Off Topic Chit-Chat" forum, instead) ;)

Don't forget about that other thread about what to do with your old vhs tapes and DVDs.  :D

Don't forget about that other thread about what to do with your old vhs tapes and DVDs.  :D

Well, you might have a point here, ND, and seein' as how that other thread IS about the technology of electronic equipment and all. BUT, that other thread I believe is also kinda sorta about a certain (and now dated) format of keeping MOVIES in one's personal library.

And so while there MAY be some common ground here, seein' as how your thread seems to be a little more about a technology geared toward receiving and emitting sound recordings and less so images, I still believe you might have posted it in "Chit-Chat" forum instead.

(...not that this is any great issue here, of course)

***edit to follow***

I see you took my suggestion and moved it. 

Edited by Dargo

:D  :D Man, I be a happy space cadet. Here's the dope. I hadda go thru a drawer where I stuff my cables, wires and whatzitz because the unit was minus a power cord. The ones you get with electric shavers with the 2 holes that fit over 2 prongs. Luckily I found a couple of those cords in said drawer. I plugged in the unit and confirmed to myself that scrounging can and does pay off. A CD played perfectly as if the unit was new and it saying on the back made in 2001. Not too much wear on the laser I guess.  So tomorrow I will disconnect my old system ( a 15+ year old piece of crap that never delivered the kind of sound one would expect for the price paid ) and replace it with this discarded unit. These Realistic Minimus 7s are real vintage collector's items and am reading many good things about them on google. These little dynamos' performance belie their tiny size. 40 dollars a pair sometimes on ebay. Mine are beautiful with their heavy silver brushed aluminum bodies.  Vigilance in scrounging and you might find some treasures. Over the years I've grabbed 2 VCRs and a wooden appliance cart and now a CD sound system but those minimus 7 speakers are the most. Ya got walnut and 3 varieties of metal housings, white, satin black and silver. I now got the 2 silver jobs. Lucky, lucky, lucky me. These minimus 7s are the kinda thing you might stumble upon in a thrift store. Man, I be a happy space cadet. Here's the dope. I hadda go thru a drawer where I stuff my cables, wires and whatzitz because the unit was minus a power cord. The ones you get with electric shavers with the 2 holes that fit over 2 prongs. Luckily I found a couple of those cords in said drawer. I plugged in the unit and confirmed to myself that scrounging can and does pay off. A CD played perfectly as if the unit was new and it saying on the back made in 2001. Not too much wear on the laser I guess.  So tomorrow I will disconnect my old system ( a 15+ year old piece of crap that never delivered the kind of sound one would expect for the price paid ) and replace it with this discarded unit. These Realistic Minimus 7s are real vintage collector's items and am reading many good things about them on google. These little dynamos' performance belie their tiny size. 40 dollars a pair sometimes on ebay. Mine are beautiful with their heavy silver brushed aluminum bodies.Vigilance in scrounging and you might find some treasures. Over the years I've grabbed 2 VCRs and a wooden appliance cart.and now a CD sound system but those minimus 7 speakers are the most. Ya got walnut and 3 varieties of metal housings, white, satin black and silver. I now got the 2 silver jobs. Lucky, lucky, lucky me. These minimus 7s are the kinda thing you might stumble upon in a thrift store. 

5efu6v.jpg

:D  :D  :D

So like I was sayin'. Here I am burdened with this near useless dust collecting hulk, a Sharp CD-BA200. 200 watts and bulky 4-way speakers. A hundred watts each to power a subwoofer, another woofer, midrange and a super tweeter. Nothin', just alotta muffled not very clear oomph. For years I tolerated it and the dust it collected. Over the years I have managed to scrounge two vcrs, a nice appliance cart, one of them laminated particle board deals you assemble yourself. Passed on some discarded crt TVs but then the other nite lady luck shines on me with this discarded system.. The CD mechanism works great and I got me some still working collector's item die-cast aluminum realistic minimus 7 speakers, four and a half pounders. Not bad for frequenting a trash depot.  :D