Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Susan Hayward: Remembering/Birthdate.. June 30

Ginger514

Classic film actress, Susan Hayward, would have been 97 years old today. What a beautiful actress and what an extraordinary legacy she has left to her family, her friends, and those of us who are fans and admirers! 

She was nominated for an Oscar 5 times and finally won for "I Want To Live." 

She worked very hard at her craft. She did not consider herself a movie star, but a working girl.post-42471-0-08180100-1404117392_thumb.jpg

She was a fighter throughout her life, and in the end when she was suffering from cancer, she still fought so hard.  She had twin sons, who are today successful and have beautiful families of their own. She would be proud of her sons, her grandchildren, and her great grandchildren who are also very proud of her. I think she would be astonished that she is so well remembered by others, and I think she would be surprised at a growing number of younger people who appreciate her work.

She would often say .."I'll see you in the funny papers."  

Thank you, Susan Hayward, for making our lives richer, and we'll see you in the movies,.

post-42471-0-08180100-1404117392_thumb.jpg

Usually TCM does a better job of its birthday tributes, but because of the memorial tribute for Eli Wallach today, Susan Hayward and her fans have definitely been short shrifted.  If they were going to keep two titles, then why not RAWHIDE or THE LUSTY MEN. Instead, they're showing the B-film GIRLS ON PROBATION (where she is 9th billed) and THE HAIRY APE, with a terrible public domain print. 

• Like 1

Usually TCM does a better job of its birthday tributes, but because of the memorial tribute for Eli Wallach today, Susan Hayward and her fans have definitely been short shrifted.  If they were going to keep two titles, then why not RAWHIDE or THE LUSTY MEN. Instead, they're showing the B-film GIRLS ON PROBATION (where she is 9th billed) and THE HAIRY APE, with a terrible public domain print. 

Short shrifted? They are really short shrifted by her never having been SOTM.

• Like 1

Well Fox, which showed WOMAN OBSESSED (1959) today, will be showing a few of Susan Hayward's movies this week.

From the FMC Website:

Tuesday, July 1:

7:20 am est, 4:20 am pst:

I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE

A model (Susan Hayward) climbs the ranks of the fashion industry to become a top designer and is pursued by men for her talent as well as her affection.

Cast: Dan Dailey, George Sanders, Michael Gordon, Randy Stuart, Sam Jaffe, Susan Hayward

Director: Michael Gordon

10:20 am est, 7:20 am pst:

WHITE WITCH DOCTOR

The Belgian Congo is the backdrop for a dedicated nurse (Hayward), a hunter (Mitchum) and his greedy partner (Slezak) as they trek through a jungle adventure.

Cast: Henry Hathaway, Mashood Ajala, Robert Mitchum, Susan Hayward, Timothy Carey, Walter Slezak

Director: Henry Hathaway

Thursday, July 3:

11:35 am est, 8:35 am pst:

THE MARRIAGE-GO-ROUND

A conservative college professor (Mason) and his wife (Hayward) get more than they bargained for when a free-love Swedish girl (Newmar) becomes their houseguest.

Cast: James Mason, Julie Newmar, Susan Hayward

• Like 2

From the FMC Website:

Tuesday, July 1:

A model (Susan Hayward) climbs the ranks of the fashion industry to become a top designer and is pursued by men for her talent as well as her affection.

Cast: Dan Dailey, George Sanders, Michael Gordon, Randy Stuart, Sam Jaffe, Susan Hayward

Don't miss this one if you've never seen it.   It's one of Hayward's best roles, both dated and "modern" in the same breath, but always keeping your interest and attention.

I can't think of any good reason why Hayward shouldn't be a SOTM. 

• Like 1

well, we can still be happy with the fact that TCM finally got to air With a Song in My Heart this year.

It's been on, I think , twice now, and and while it's a real ball of early fifties cheese, it's a prime example of our girl Susie at her Haywardiest- dodging the gooey sentimentality of the story and refusing to play for tragedy.

She plays a singer who endures a tragic airplane crash during a USO tour in WWII. Does that get Susan GODDAMNN Hayward down? Hell no. She throws on an evening gown; sings a medley of songs saluting the states; and personally commandeers a fleet of bombers to attack Hitler at his mountain retreat.

(Okay, that last part doesn't happen; but it would be great to see a scene of Hitler playing a game of Risk with Eva as two guards charge into the room shouting: "Ach der Lieben! Main Fuhrer! Suzan Hayvard is attacking !" )

Then the Flight of the Valkyries starts to play as they scatter for cover...

• Like 2

Speaking of Susan Hayward, did anyone realize that she was born on the same day (June 30, 1917) as another Brooklynite named Lena Horne?

BLU

Yes, same day, same year, and same city... amazing!

Speaking of Susan Hayward, did anyone realize that she was born on the same day (June 30, 1917) as another Brooklynite named Lena Horne?

BLU

Yes, same day, same year, and same city.. Amazing!

It is a marvelous film that is always worth watching.

"I Can Get It For You Wholesale"....Susan Hayward was often ahead of her time. She was never afraid to play a strong woman and reflected that she was on equal ground with the men. This was a long view for the early 1950's. Susan had a unique gift for winning the admiration and affection of both men and women. The men loved her beauty, and the women also loved her beauty, but more importantly, women related to the messages she gave out to them --survivor, strong,determined...but also, feminine and always that touching vulnerability that endeared her to us. Susan's character in the film was male in the book and on stage.

• Like 2

Well Fox, which showed WOMAN OBSESSED (1959) today, will be showing a few of Susan Hayward's movies this week.

From the FMC Website:

Tuesday, July 1:

10:20 am est, 7:20 am pst:

WHITE WITCH DOCTOR

The Belgian Congo is the backdrop for a dedicated nurse (Hayward), a hunter (Mitchum) and his greedy partner (Slezak) as they trek through a jungle adventure.

Cast: Henry Hathaway, Mashood Ajala, Robert Mitchum, Susan Hayward, Timothy Carey, Walter Slezak

Director: Henry Hathaway

Thursday, July 3:

11:35 am est, 8:35 am pst:

THE MARRIAGE-GO-ROUND

A conservative college professor (Mason) and his wife (Hayward) get more than they bargained for when a free-love Swedish girl (Newmar) becomes their houseguest.

Cast: James Mason, Julie Newmar, Susan Hayward

Thank you for posting that list, Arturo.

Thank you for posting that list, Arturo.

Check your cable system to see if you have access to FXM On Demand. After clicking it, you can get either FXM Retro or FXM Blockbusters (recent movie hits). Retro usually has some of the classic movies shown on the Fox Movie Channel. This month's Retro offerings include "I Can Get It for You Wholesale" and "The Marriage Go-Round."

WHERE is finance on this thread??????????

My gym schedule has been busier than ever......... Susan Hayward deserves more than anyone else who has not yet been so honored to be SOTM. It's not the Fox affiliation which is holding her back, but the fact that studio honchos found her difficult.,

My gym schedule has been busier than ever......... Susan Hayward deserves more than anyone else who has not yet been so honored to be SOTM. It's not the Fox affiliation which is holding her back, but the fact that studio honchos found her difficult.,

I agree that Susan is a very worthy candidate for SOTM, moreso than anyone already so honored. It isn't just that she was under contract to Fox during the height of her popularity, but she also was with Paramount early on, when she made a name for herself as a scene stealer while playing second leads. TCM does not have access to many of these films.apparently.

As to being someone with a reputation of being difficult with the studio honchos, if TCM were to blacklist the stars that were also difficult, we wouldn't see much from artists ranging from Bette Davis to Mario Lanza. This is obviously not the case.

Get TV had a mini tribute to Susan Hayward  (like TCM) on her birthday. Like the other "old movie" channels  Get TV has a schedule that will play select films many times over a one or two week period.  TULSA has been on lately, a color film when new, but the print they have been showing looks rather bad, and of course they have the commercials in there.

Get TV had a mini tribute to Susan Hayward  (like TCM) on her birthday. Like the other "old movie" channels  Get TV has a schedule that will play select films many times over a one or two week period.  TULSA has been on lately, a color film when new, but the print they have been showing looks rather bad, and of course they have the commercials in there.

It's in the public domain, so that gawdawful print was free for them to broadcast. All the commercial ad revunes were pure profit.

No, I think its Drew (LOL).........

So because studio honchos found Susan difficult,  that makes it difficult for TCM to aquire her films from Fox and Paramount?   i.e. payback time????   

I assume that isn't where you were going but where are you going with that comment?

It's in the public domain, so that gawdawful print was free for them to broadcast. All the commercial ad revunes were pure profit.

I saw TULSA  (good film by the way) a few years ago (TCM possibly? ) and the picture quality  looked pretty decent.  So there must be a number of prints circulating out there.  So when TCM gets slammed for showing a bad issue of a film I guess they aren't the only ones guilty of that practice at times .

So because studio honchos found Susan difficult,  that makes it difficult for TCM to aquire her films from Fox and Paramount?   i.e. payback time????   

I assume that isn't where you were going but where are you going with that comment?

Just trying to be funny. Emphasis on TRYING........

I've said this before, I still think TCM could do a SOTM for Susan w/out many of her Fox films (they have shown some of them, so they must be available). Not every Fox film was so great. They've shown enough of her other films (some of her best btw) to have enough for SOTM. I dont understand why they dont do it..........

I saw TULSA  (good film by the way) a few years ago (TCM possibly? ) and the picture quality  looked pretty decent.  So there must be a number of prints circulating out there.  So when TCM gets slammed for showing a bad issue of a film I guess they aren't the only ones guilty of that practice at times .

No..TCM is not the only one, but we do expect TCM to maintain a higher standard. I think they have also used a public domain print of TULSA-- the colors do not look good in the version I recorded when TCM last aired it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings