Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No love for Canada on Canada Day, TCM?

July 1st is Canada Day - the anniversary of the birth of our great nation.

Canada has been a major influence on Hollywood from the beginning.

I was disappointed to see no special programming on July 1st, 2014.

Anyone else feel the same way?   Thanks.   Mark   London Ontario

As far as I can recall, TCM has never done a tribute for their northern neighbour, not even on the day it celebrates its existence.

I think once, years ago, they did some kind of series on Canadian films -and of course, there are lots of great made-in-Canada movies (tell that to most Canadians!)

I've tried telling our American pals here how many Hollywood stars past and present (especially past) hail from Canada. Hume Cronym, for instance (maybe not a "star" per sec) comes from your town. I think there's a residential street named after him there.

I've tried telling our American pals here how many Hollywood stars past and present (especially past) hail from Canada. Hume Cronym, for instance

Of all the Canadians you could have picked (Mary Pickford, Glenn Ford, Walter Pidgeon, Mack Sennett, Donald Sutherland, Genevieve Bujold, Lorne Greene, Leslie Nielsen, Margot Kidder, Michael Sarrazin, Susan Clark, Kate Nelligan, John Vernon, various SNL and SCTV alumni, and that's just off the top of my head), you picked Hume Cronyn?

There's just something very Canadian about that

The reason I picked Hume Cronyn was simply because the original poster said he was from London, (Ontario), and so was Hume Cronyn.

Maybe I should have mentioned Kate Nelligan ( as you do.) She's from London too.

I'm very impressed with your familiarity with Canadian-born film stars.

• Like 1

Didn't any of you guys notice that TCM is doing a whole day of Canadian films? Oh, wait, they couldn't get  the Canadian rights. 

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. ;)

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

The reason I picked Hume Cronyn was simply because the original poster said he was from London, (Ontario), and so was Hume Cronyn.

Maybe I should have mentioned Kate Nelligan ( as you do.) She's from London too.

I'm very impressed with your familiarity with Canadian-born film stars.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness, Miss Wonderly.   I went to South, the same High School as Kate Nelligan.

Co-stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams were both born in the same hospital here, too.   Cheers! 

As far as I can recall, TCM has never done a tribute for their northern neighbour, not even on the day it celebrates its existence.

I think once, years ago, they did some kind of series on Canadian films -and of course, there are lots of great made-in-Canada movies (tell that to most Canadians!)

I've tried telling our American pals here how many Hollywood stars past and present (especially past) hail from Canada. Hume Cronym, for instance (maybe not a "star" per sec) comes from your town. I think there's a residential street named after him there.

..and Louis B.Mayer and Jack Warner both hail from Canada.

I don't get this, I really don't. TCM has a Canadian schedule (notice I didn't say Canada schedule, idiot media?), Americans swoon over Tim Horton donuts (okay, wait, that's just me!), there are many Canadians on this board, it hasn't declared war on us, it is still a major tourist attraction, even if do you make it harder for us to get in (and out) - okay, my long-winded point:

Canada is a major source of money for all things American (unless you manufacture your own goods, I bet you buy the c-r-a-p we sell that we get from Third World countries), and TCM STILL can't see their way to give a tribute to Canada today?

Seriously, TCM? All those stars and you can't find a movie each to show? Wouldn't it be better than the garbage that you have on today?

Okay, next up, my pushing for a day of tribute to Minnesota and 24 hours of Warren William movies. I'm guessing there are other movie stars born in Minnesota, I betcha. :D

I don't get this, I really don't. TCM has a Canadian schedule (notice I didn't say Canada schedule, idiot media?), Americans swoon over Tim Horton donuts (okay, wait, that's just me!), there are many Canadians on this board, it hasn't declared war on us, it is still a major tourist attraction, even if do you make it harder for us to get in (and out) - okay, my long-winded point:

Canada is a major source of money for all things American (unless you manufacture your own goods, I bet you buy the c-r-a-p we sell that we get from Third World countries), and TCM STILL can't see their way to give a tribute to Canada today?

Seriously, TCM? All those stars and you can't find a movie each to show? Wouldn't it be better than the garbage that you have on today?

Okay, next up, my pushing for a day of tribute to Minnesota and 24 hours of Warren William movies. I'm guessing there are other movie stars born in Minnesota, I betcha. :D

I have been pushing for Warren William to be SOTM

July 1st is Canada Day - the anniversary of the birth of our great nation.

Canada has been a major influence on Hollywood from the beginning.

I was disappointed to see no special programming on July 1st, 2014.

Anyone else feel the same way?   Thanks.   Mark   London Ontario

This thread might be seen as supporting those notions. There was someone in the thread who said TCM has never recognized Canada on Canada Day, and that simply is not true.

I record films on DVD and categorize them by theme. It was either last year or the year before (probably two years ago) that I recorded three films from TCM with a Canadian theme and I labeled it Canada Day. 

NORTHWEST RANGERS, RIVER'S END and NORTHERN PURSUIT were the ones I recorded that day. And I know there was at least another one or two more titles that I did not record that day because I already had them. Someone with an old Now Playing guide can go back and confirm this. Like I said it was probably two years ago.

Come on, Canadian posters, when you are not griping about the pre-emptions you are trying to suggest that TCM does not value your patronage. Wrong. Wrong. And wrong again.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Needlessly attacking an entire nation

Settle down, TB. The only one who's all worked up into a tizzy around here is you.

There's no "ingratitude", no "clinging to a persecution complex" on the part of me or any other Canadian posters here.

"Persecution complex" ? Really?? !

I get frustrated (as do other Canadians) when TCM airs a movie I'm interested in but cannot watch because TCM does not have the rights to broadcast it in Canada. It is frustrating, and I often express that feeling on the boards here, almost always in a good-natured semi-humourous way.

Let's look at these films you dredged up for mention:

Northwest Rangers 1942 : haven't seen it, but looks like yet another old American movie, directed by an American, supposedly about Canadians. At that time, it seems the only thing Americans associated with Canada were Quebecois habitants and Mounties. Played by Americans.

River's End 1930: haven't seen it, but looks like yet another old American movie, directed by an American -no, a Hungarian-American, supposedly about Canadians. More Mounties. Based on a book by an American.

Northern Pursuit 1943: haven't seen it, but looks like yet another old American movie, directed by an American, featuring, guess what ?  MOUNTIES !

It's kind of funny, actually. There are a myriad of great Canadian-made - and by that I mean written, directed, and produced by Canadians - movies. I'll admit, the majority of them were made post 1970, they don't fall into that "classic" era many TCM viewers are so fond of.

But shirley (by the way, I say "shirley" because of how funny Leslie Nielsen was using this word in "Airplane". Mr. Nielsen, as shirley everyone knows, was Canadian)...shirley Turner Classic Movies could get the rights to air at least a few of the many excellent Canadian- genuinely Canadian-films that have been made over the past two or three decades, whether in French or English.

You know, my "Aargh !" syndrome whenever I can't see a film I'm interested due to NCR on TCM is just about the only thing I ever complain about when it comes to TCM.

So "ingratitude" is just a ridiculous word to use. Neither I nor any other Canadian poster that I know of has expressed "ingratitude" towards TCM about anything. In fact, I've said repeatedly that I love the station, that I don't have a problem when it shows movies I'm not interested in, but am very glad when it does air something I want to see. I think I complain about the station less than a lot of other people around here.

You know what I think? I think that somewhere along the line you heard that "Canadians have a persecution complex when it comes to the States", and decided to throw that into the mix here.

Now I'm off to put on my red suit and boots, and go consume some beer and poutine while I watch hockey highlights in French.

I can attest to some of these films. "Last Night" is wonderful, along with "The Sweet Hereafter". And if TCM wants to add to their Underground collection, I'd like to suggest the films of Guy Maddin, a truly unique film director. "The Saddest Music in the World", "My Winnipeg"...interesting films. And very Canadian.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000091175/

Well MissW, here's what I think.

I THINK those fellas down there in Atlanta who schedule(pronounced "SKED-u-al", NOT "SHED-u-al" btw) TCM's programming are probably just waitin' 'til you folks up that-a-way to TOTALLY cut those ol' British apron strings and stop doin stuff like spellin' certain words with that...well, YOU know...and begin to show how truly "Independent" you folks up there can be, and just like we 'Mericans are. I mean, what good is havin' "your own" country when ya still are kind'a sort'a tied to that old country sittin' off the coast of continental Europe? I mean, what's with this whole "Commonwealth" thing anyway, HUH?..err, I guess, EH?! This IS the 21st Century now, ya know!

And then once you folks up there start doin' THAT sort'a thing, and show some TRUE "independent thought", those aforementioned folks in Atlanta MIGHT just be impressed enough which ya to throw you guys up there a bone and do what you're askin' for here.

(...yep, that's what I'M thinkin' here!)

;)

I'd like to give a plug to WHY ROCK THE BOAT?, made by the National Film Board of Canada in 1974.

It's a gentle romantic comedy involving the newspaper business, set in Montreal 1947, with Canadian-born Stuart Gillard (a sort of awkward everyman Jimmy Stewart-type) cast as a naive cub reporter hired by a terrible newspaper ruled over by a despotic publisher (played with invective zeal by Henry Beckman).

Everyone keeps their job on the paper with their minimum pay by the cheap skate publisher as long as, of course, they don't rock the boat. Well, Gillard is the last person to ever want to rock any boat. Tell him how high to jump and he'll try his best to make that leap. That changes for him, gradually, after he meets a beautiful idealistic reporter (Tiiu Leek) of a rival paper, who wants to form a journalism union to strike a blow against the tyrants in the trade, such as Beckman.

The film has elements, I suppose, of Capra in its presentation. The virtues of this film are many. It's a wonderfully atmospheric period piece, set in a Montreal of the late '40s beseiged by winter. The musical score by John Howe, a slightly jazzy nostalgic piece, I loved so much that I was ready to replay the opening titles of the film (which I recorded off a Canadian cable station) just to listen to it again and again.

Most of the performances in the film are near perfect. Aside from the marvelous contributions of Gillard and, his character's polar opposite, Beckman, there is a quite magnificent portrayal from Ken James as a cynical, old time news photographer on the paper, who takes Gillard under his wing and becomes something of a mentor. Admittedly, though, hardcore cynic that he is, he is a man who might talk about rocking the boat a bit, but never actually does, because he needs that paycheque. Gillard and James have a wonderful comaraderie.

The only weak link in the cast is the rather wooden Tiiu Leek, as the lady reporter that inspires Gillard to be more than just a cog in the wheel, leading, in turn, to the film's Capraesque climax. But Leek is also classy and very beautiful, and it's easy to see why an eager young man, conservative as he may be, would be willing to put everything on the line in order to try to impress her.

One more thing, arguably the film's crowning gem scene is a seduction sequence, in which the newspaper's editor's randy wife (played with stunning sensuality by Pat Gage) sits before a fireplace with the viriginal Gillard, and begins to talk, suggestively, ever so suggestively, about the sounds of the "pops" made by popcorn. Well, there's something in Gillard that starts to pop, too, as this cougar (before that term was coined) decides to bed the young innocent. This is a scene that is guranteed to be discussed by viewers of the film after it is over.

WHY ROCK THE BOAT? is a pure Canadian joy in filmmaking, one that I believe would be enjoyed by most who saw it. You don't have to be Canadian to enjoy it. A little remembered production, though, I'm not certain that it has ever had any kind of home video availability.

It would be lovely if TCM would snag this one for broadcast on their channel. And, if, by chance, irony of ironies, there was some kind of rights issues, so that the film couldn't actually be shown in Canada, be prepared for some heavy duty howling from this particular Canadian poster.

Chuck Tabesh, please? WHY ROCK THE BOAT?

84T2IOrraunIEAVRjemzyBWaYZo.jpg

For awhile, I have felt the Canadian posters are ungrateful and clinging to a persecution complex. This thread might be seen as supporting those notions. There was someone in the thread who said TCM has never recognized Canada on Canada Day, and that simply is not true.

I record films on DVD and categorize them by theme. It was either last year or the year before (probably two years ago) that I recorded three films from TCM with a Canadian theme and I labeled it Canada Day. 

NORTHWEST RANGERS, RIVER'S END and NORTHERN PURSUIT were the ones I recorded that day. And I know there was at least another one or two more titles that I did not record that day because I already had them. Someone with an old Now Playing guide can go back and confirm this. Like I said it was probably two years ago.

Come on, Canadian posters, when you are not griping about the pre-emptions you are trying to suggest that TCM does not value your patronage. Wrong. Wrong. And wrong again.

this entire post reeks of amerocentrism and canaphobia. i find it highly offensive in this day and age.

For awhile, I have felt the Canadian posters are ungrateful and clinging to a persecution complex. This thread might be seen as supporting those notions. There was someone in the thread who said TCM has never recognized Canada on Canada Day, and that simply is not true.

this entire post reeks of amerocentrism and canaphobia. i find it highly offensive in this day and age.

Well, Dargo, my friend, the only person off-hand I can think of who still feels connected to Britain and the Queen and all that is my mother-in-law.  And she's 86 years old.

I can't think of any other Canadian I know who gives a timbit about those things you cite.

As for spelling, more than half of all Canadians do not use the "superfluous "U" ", and otherwise spell words the "American" way.  

But let's say we did drop the "U" and started using American style spelling. All of us. Wouldn't that just be transferring our "dependence" from Britain to the U.S.?

I sort of like that fact that we're half and half about this spelling business. Kind of makes us unique.

ps: again, I assure you, there are very few Canadians who care about England or the U.K. or the Queen (maysheliveforever) or any of that "ties to Britain" stuff. And a very large percentage of our population came from other parts of the world, far away from both Canada and Britain. I'm sure they don't give a frig about the Commonwealth.  (btw, "frig" is an English slang word. But I just use it because I like it, not because it's British. Also it doesn't get **** out, probably because the Autocensor doesn't recognize it.)

Tom, thanks for the tribute to Why Rock the Boat?  I've heard of this movie, but as you said, it's difficult to find. Don't know why, it sounds great. I'd love to see it.

A truly memorable all-Canadian film I saw recently is Goin' Down the Road. Directed by Don Shebib, came out in 1970.

A really good little movie, although some here might say "nothing happens in it."

I so agree!

In protest, I shall ban TCM from my abode for a 24-hour period and just watch my complete SCTV dvd boxed set.

I also shall drink only Canada Dry all day and eat Canadian Bacon and tomato and lettuce sandwiches.

Uh, maybe might have some Canadian Club also!

Thanks, MissW. I've yet to see Goin' Down the Road. Hopefully one day I'll see it.

I really wish that Why Rock the Boat? wasn't so tough to find.

Well, Dargo, my friend, the only person off-hand I can think of who still feels connected to Britain and the Queen and all that is my mother-in-law.  And she's 86 years old.

As for spelling, more than half of all Canadians do not use the "superfluous "U" ", and otherwise spell words the "American" way.  

But let's say we did drop the "U" and started using American style spelling. All of us. Wouldn't that just be transferring our "dependence" from Britain to the U.S.?

I sort of like that fact that we're half and half about this spelling business. Kind of makes us unique.

Okay then, just FORGET about all that "British" stuff here, then.

Then MAYBE it's this thing that YOU'VE just pointed out here...that there seems to be no "continuity" with you folks up there that's leavin' those scheduling fellas in Atlanta so seemingly unimpressed with you guys. HUH?!...okay, okay..EH?!

(...hey, I'm JUST tryin' to help ya out here and throwin' out ideas that I think might be the cause of all this, ya know...and THIS is the THANKS I get???...just see I ever try helpin' around here AGAIN!!!)

I so agree!

In protest, I shall ban TCM from my abode for a 24-hour period and just watch my complete SCTV dvd boxed set.

I also shall drink only Canada Dry all day and eat Canadian Bacon and tomato and lettuce sandwiches.

Uh, maybe might have some Canadian Club also!

If you're having a SCTV marathon you've got a day full of belly laughs coming your way.

I never heard that tomato and lettuces sandwiches are particularly Canadian. But I am a Canuck and I love the things. Think I'll go fix myself one right now.