Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Could TCM give "My Fair Lady" a rest for a while?

terrya

Don't get me wrong, I love this movie. And I love musicals. But really, TCM seems to show "My Fair Lady" every month. Yes, it's on again in July. Some suggestions for other musicals to show: "The King and I", "Flower Drum Song".

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I love this movie. And I love musicals. But really, TCM seems to show "My Fair Lady" every month. Yes, it's on again in July. Some suggestions for other musicals to show: "The King and I", "Flower Drum Song".

Here's the official list of 10 acceptable musicals, in chronological order.  Kindly send all other musicals into the dumpster and substitute noirs and gangster movies in their place. :)

42nd Street

Gold Diggers of 1933

Footlight Parade

Little Big Shot (well, it's got two boffo musical numbers)

Singin' in the Rain

A Star is Born (Garland version)

Guys and Dolls

Damn Yankees

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

My Fair Lady

Cabaret (leave in the musical numbers, cut the rest of the movie)

Good choices!

I'd add "The Bandwagon", which I like more than "Singin' in the Rain". The only problem with "Guys and Dolls" is it was miscast: Sinatra should have played Skye Masterson.

Here's the official list of 10 acceptable musicals, in chronological order.  Kindly send all other musicals into the dumpster and substitute noirs and gangster movies in their place. :)

42nd Street

Gold Diggers of 1933

Footlight Parade

Singin' in the Rain

Guys and Dolls

Damn Yankees

My Fair Lady

42nd Street

Gold Diggers of 1933

Footlight Parade

Singin' in the Rain

Guys and Dolls

Damn Yankees

My Fair Lady

The first three are fine.  After that, ewww!

Okay, if you want to restrict it to just those first three, then fine.  In fact, if you just want to run the "Shanghai Lil" number in Footlight Parade in an endless loop anytime you feel the musical urge coming on, that would also be "o" with me, as Guy Kibbee might have put it.  Just don't try slipping in anything else.

And BTW have you actually seen Little Big Shot?  Sybil Jason's sidewalk renditions of the title song and "I'm Rolling in Money" are complete gems that make the whole movie worth watching.  It's a crime that these seem to be forever removed from YouTube, as otherwise I'd link to them.

• Like 1

Okay, if you want to restrict it to just those first three, then fine.  In fact, if you just want to run the "Shanghai Lil" number in Footlight Parade in an endless loop anytime you feel the musical urge coming on, that would also be "o" with me, as Guy Kibbee might have put it.  Just don't try slipping in anything else.

And BTW have you actually seen Little Big Shot?  Sybil Jason's sidewalk renditions of the title song and "I'm Rolling in Money" are complete gems that make the whole movie worth watching.  It's a crime that these seem to be forever removed from YouTube, as otherwise I'd link to them.

Yes, I have seen it, and I agree.

It's Always "Fair" Weather for showing that film, apparently!

You make me laugh. Due to watching too many movies in my ill-begotten life, the old chestnuts being shown over and over again, occasionally distress me also. But then I try to be magnanimous and remember that there was a first time I saw films like "Casablanca" and "MFL" and to go read a book for that two hour period and give the tv a rest and let those who have not ever seen such a classic get the chance.

I do feel though that being a curmudgeon and whiner and complainer, is fitting though as a movie fan, since there are so many characters in films like that. One of my favorite downer type actors is Oscar Levant, who I believe once said he knew Doris Day "before she was a virgin" so I am sure he would approve of anyone showing distaste for the millionth showing of "MFL" or something like "The Sound of Music".

An interesting question for film buffs would be...what film in all history has been played on tv the most times.

• Like 1

An interesting question for film buffs would be...what film in all history has been played on tv the most times.

My first instinct might have been to say Casablanca, or one of the many public domain titles that used to run over and over on late night TV,  but then I started thinking of the Fox Movie Channel and the many movies they've been showing a dozen or more times a year ever since they launched the network.  And doesn't HBO show lots and lots of repeats?

EDIT:  Thinking about it a bit more, in the early days of television (i.e. before cable), there were hundreds of stations all over the country running late night movies on a regular basis, each with independently chosen selections.  Many of these stations tried to save money by choosing their films from the public domain, and copies of those films were often easily available for less than $100 each, with no restrictions on multiple showings.  I wouldn't want to guess which film among those was shown more times than any other, but I'd bet the answer to your question would be found there, and not among the realm of films like North By Northwest or My Fair Lady.

I'd say, in response to your question, "The Wizard of Oz".

I'm 58, and I remember when "The Wizard of Oz" was shown, faithfully, every year on television. CBS, as I recall.

It's Always "Fair" Weather for showing that film, apparently!

You make me laugh. Due to watching too many movies in my ill-begotten life, the old chestnuts being shown over and over again, occasionally distress me also. But then I try to be magnanimous and remember that there was a first time I saw films like "Casablanca" and "MFL" and to go read a book for that two hour period and give the tv a rest and let those who have not ever seen such a classic get the chance.

I do feel though that being a curmudgeon and whiner and complainer, is fitting though as a movie fan, since there are so many characters in films like that. One of my favorite downer type actors is Oscar Levant, who I believe once said he knew Doris Day "before she was a virgin" so I am sure he would approve of anyone showing distaste for the millionth showing of "MFL" or something like "The Sound of Music".

It seems to have passed NBNW in showings lately. Must have a good rental agreement and it fills up a lot of time on the schedule........

By 'good rental agreement' I assume you mean that TCM is required to show the movie a certain number of times based on the leasing agreement.  So this is 'good' for the owner of the film (since I believe they get paid more for each showing),  but not so 'good' for TCM viewers.

By 'good rental agreement' I assume you mean that TCM is required to show the movie a certain number of times based on the leasing agreement.  So this is 'good' for the owner of the film (since I believe they get paid more for each showing),  but not so 'good' for TCM viewers.

LOL. No..........

LOL. No..........

Well who is that rental agreement good for then,  if not the owner of the rights?    TCM?   I don't think so since TCM is locked into showing a movie a certain number of times under that type of agreement.   This info was provided in the interview with the VP at TCM.  TCM only signs these because otherwise they would have NO access to certain films.    (just like TCM is required to take movies they don't want as part of a leasing package bundle).  

Well who is that rental agreement good for then,  if not the owner of the rights?    TCM?   I don't think so since TCM is locked into showing a movie a certain number of times under that type of agreement.   This info was provided in the interview with the VP at TCM.  TCM only signs these because otherwise they would have NO access to certain films.    (just like TCM is required to take movies they don't want as part of a leasing package bundle).  

I'm sure if TCM wasnt getting a good rate for showing it, they wouldnt have bought the rental rights for whatever amount of time. It also fills a 3 hour slot in their schedule........

Since I don't like 'MY FAIR LADY' (cos I don't like the music) that would be quite all right with me if TCM didn't air it for a while.  If TCM aired the 1975 British musical 'THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP' (aka:  "Mr. Quilp") un-cut that would be peachy.  I've not seen it in quite some time.  (NOTE:  Cut version = 91 minutes / Un-Cut version = 114 minutes). 

I recorded all Sybil Jason films and got "The Singing Kid" on Ebay.

Poor Sybil was simply given low quality material to work with in some of her other films so I don't blame her, only Warner Brothers.  Her voice pattern is virtually identical to Shirley Temple's and this scene in "Now and forever" proves even Shirley can look bad if given rotten stuff.  No wonder this movie is not shown.

I have to admit I love Sybil Jason so much that the overall quality of her other movies is secondary.  When they had her 80th birthday tribute in 2009 (which was the last time they showed any of her films back-to-back) I got Little Big Shot, the two with Kay Francis (I Found Stella Parrish and Comet Over Broadway), and the one with Bogart, Ann Sheridan, and Pat O'Brien (The Great O'Malley).  The one I didn't record (like an idiot) was The Captain's Kid, which with any other child star would've been a complete turkey, but with Jason playing off Guy Kibbee it was hilarious.  It was briefly on YouTube, and the scene where Sybil hands Kibbee a giant knife and tells him to use it on the judge is one of my favorite comic moments in cinematic history.  I just wish that TCM would give Jason another mini-slot one of these days, because IMO she's every bit as good as Shirley.

Good choices!

I'd add "The Bandwagon", which I like more than "Singin' in the Rain". The only problem with "Guys and Dolls" is it was miscast: Sinatra should have played Skye Masterson.

Another example of Brando being miscast! How come he was cast in so many unsuitable roles?

DESIREE is one of the worst movies I have ever suffered. Not only was MB all wrong as Napoleon, but that clunker actually achieved the unbelievable feat of making Napoleon's very exciting life seem boring and without any interest.

Another example of Brando being miscast! How come he was cast in so many unsuitable roles?

DESIREE is one of the worst movies I have ever suffered. Not only was MB all wrong as Napoleon, but that clunker actually achieved the unbelievable feat of making Napoleon's very exciting life seem boring and without any interest.

When you're as hot as Brando was, any role is considered a suitable role.

terrya, on 01 Jul 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:snapback.png

The only problem with "Guys and Dolls" is it was miscast

I think there might be one or two who'd say the interminable length and slack direction are a touch problematic too.

Oh, and that stupid trip to Cuba, what the hell is that about?

...that stupid trip to Cuba, what the hell is that about?

Oooh, I love the Cuban sequence. That is my favorite part of the film. It was refreshing to see Simmons and Brando sing and dance in GUYS AND DOLLS-- something they rarely do in their other more dramatic pictures.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings