Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fassbinder's "Berlin Alexanderplatz"

CaveGirl

It would seem that the perfect place to showcase this magnificent film by Rainier Werner Fassbinder would be the Turner Classic Movie channel.

It's like fifteen and a half hours long, and could be shown in installments like a mini-series.

Though I've spent a lot of money on movies in my time, hundreds for boxed sets of stuff that I had to have...this is one I've never bought.

Is there anyone else here who would like to see it play on TCM, besides me?

The last film I bought of Fassbinder's was "Querelle" which I am going to admit holds a strange distinction in my film library. I am equally thrilled and repulsed by it at the same time.

It is freakishly unique, and perhaps this is due to being a tale from the pen of the notorious Jean Genet. The voiceovers are mesmerizing, and Brad Davis is great but the standout performance in my estimation is Franco Nero, as the smitten military head entranced with Davis.

Jeanne Moreau is something else too but I digress. Fassbinder is unique in cinema and another of his films that would be fun to see is "Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven".

I think "Querelle" might just be a bit too much for TCM, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I don't know whether it'd ever be possible, but I'd sure second your wish.  I almost bought the boxed set during one of Criterion's half price sales, but we'd just replaced our roof and I was talked out of it.  Given my love for Pabst and Lang and the other great Weimar directors, it'd be fascinating to see a "modern" director's take on that era. 

And what the hell, I'd just love to see the Weimar studios be given a month's worth of Friday nights all by themselves.  People who aren't acquainted with some of their best work (which gets shown in dribs and drabs on TCM, but seldom in bunches) simply don't know what they're missing.

Ah, you mention the sacred word..."Criterion", Andy!

I once entered a contest in which the prize was a copy of every Criterion film on dvd.

At the time, "Playtime" had been out of print for awhile, and selling on Ebay for like 150 bucks, and it was included in the package but alas I did not win. Happily though, they did finally rerelease Tati's film and I was satisfied.

I love Fritz and Pabst and agree that a week of such films might be in order, and if there was not a protest I'd also like to see some of the work of Leni Reifenstahl who was a superlative director in spite of her, shall we say...unsavory predilections.

I think she later discounted such connections, but still...

I'm glad you chose a roof over buying a Criterion film, Andy...good choice if it rains in your area!

Thanks so much for your note of approval!

• Like 1

Ah, you mention the sacred word..."Criterion", Andy!

Sacred is right. The last time I was in Barnes & Noble, I ventured down to their DVD section, where Criterion has a section all of its own, appropriately placed right next to the section for foreign films.

And after about ten minutes of careful counting and remembering, I realized that over the past five years I'd recorded over 70 of those Criterions when they'd been playing on TCM.

I felt so guilty I bought La Haine and the 5-disk set of Nikkatsu Noir (what a find!), and it didn't even bother me when I later saw La Haine was scheduled on TCM this coming July 27th.   I do my share of kvetching about the number of stale old chestnuts that TCM plays too many times, but after going through that Criterion section the conviction has largely gone out of my complaining. :)

And guess what?  I just now discovered that B&N is having another Criterion half price sale that extends through July 28th.   Berlin Alexanderplatz is now "only" $62.49, and hmmmmmm.... my wife's out of town, and the roof is all paid for. ;)  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings