Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was the first movie you saw in a theater?

terrya

I don't know if this question has been asked. Pardon me if it has been asked.

But what was the first movie you saw in a theater?

The first one I remember was "Jason and the Argonauts". I saw it at the Rogers Theater in Decatur, Illinois, where I was born and raised. It was quite an experience for a young kid such as myself.

It was a Mexican movie, not sure of the name, although it might've been called LA LLORONA, since they was what it was about. It totally terrified. I also remember one of the very first being a Spanish language version of Disney's PINOCCHIO, or as I knew it, PINOCHO.

Other than Donald Duck and Bugs Bunny cartoons, the first feature movie I remember seeing was The Mob, a Broderick Crawford programmer from 1951, when I was six or seven.  But since I went to see it because of being sold on it by the preview, that means I must have been to another movie the week before, probably a Saturday afternoon Western whose name I can't remember.

The movie I really remember most from that year, however, was the only movie my parents refused to let me go to:  The Day The Earth Stood Still, a vaguely propagandistic movie that was partly shot on location here in Washington.  I tried for weeks to get them to change their minds, but they ran out the clock on the run, and I never got to see it until the AFI showed it a good 20 years later.  Of course as it turned out it wasn't that great a movie, but it was the principle of the thing. ;)

As to why my parents let me see a gangster movie while barring me from The Day The Earth Stood Still, the answer is simple:  I wasn't so stupid as to tell them what I was going to see  when I went to the Crawford movie, and they probably just assumed it was another Western.  This was in the days when parents didn't think their children were going to die if they let them walk unaccompanied a mile or two to the movie theater.

I have no idea. I was too young at the time to remember what was playing.

However, the first movie I can remember being taken to a theatre to see (by my grandmother it was) was 'The Clown' starring Red Skelton. I was just under 4.

I remember that the movie wasn't funny. I think my grandmother expected it to be. Strange thing is she took me to see it again a year later at a different theatre. Weird.

I know we were very poor and so there was no money for snacks or anything at the show. A kindly usher brought me some free popcorn. Funny how much I remember about my early life - it astounds some people.

I don't know if this question has been asked. Pardon me if it has been asked.

But what was the first movie you saw in a theater?

The first one I remember was "Jason and the Argonauts". I saw it at the Rogers Theater in Decatur, Illinois, where I was born and raised. It was quite an experience for a young kid such as myself.

"The Jungle Book" far as I can remember.

Lady and the Tramp and I remember seeing Daddy Long Legs I was under the age of 5 and fell in love with the song Somethings Gotta Give. I also remember that I was under the age of 6 when I saw I WANT TO LIVE LOL- It probably as Andy wrote was a double feature or my parents may not have been able to afford a babysitter and the movie tickets, so my sister and I came along.

It was almost certainly something from Disney - possibly THE JUNGLE BOOK, MARY POPPINS,101 DALMATIANS, LADY AND THE TRAMP, SONG OF THE SOUTH, BAMBI, DUMBO, PINOCCHIO ... not really sure. Seemed like there was a Disney re-release constantly playing in what at the time was the only movie theater in my childhood town. But I have no idea which one I saw first.

"The Jungle Book" far as I can remember.

I would also have to say The Jungle Book,  but of course that was a while back and I could be wrong.   But I do clearly remember mom and dad taking us kids to see this movie.   We loved and I still get enjoyment out of it.   I was surprised my Dad was so into the movie but found out later he was a big Louis Prima fan.    My dad was kind of an accountant type,  if you know what I mean,  but when Prima was playing he couldn't help but shake his hips! 

I have a very vague memory of going to downtown Los Angeles(and where primarily most of the old "first-run" movie houses were located in the greater L.A. area at the time) with my parents and seeing DeMille's "The Ten Commandments"(no, NOT his friggin' 1923 version, the '56 version...I'm not THAT old, ya know!!! LOL), and with one scene in it making a particular impression upon me which I remember to this day.

It's this scene where Moses' birth mother is about to be crushed between two enormous stones being pushed together while they're making one of the pyramids...

the_ten_commandments_martha_scott_debra_

...but of course, Moses comes to the rescue just in time.

(...I guess prophets CAN sometimes be rather handy to have around, huh!)

Mulan in 1998.

I just realized this thread could just be a way to find out how old we are!   It also appears that in your case that would be younger than most of us around here.     I said my first movie was Jungle Book.   At least it wasn't the Wizard of Oz!

Not really, one could be a shunned Amish and get their first movie experience at age 20+

LOL

Yeah, that's true, Ham.

(...but how ironic it would be if the first movie such a person would have seen in a theater was "Witness", HUH?!)

In mycase, I was only three at the time. Sometimes, I wish I was born earlier, as I missed the original releases of all the best films.

Well, I hate to rub it in here kid, but this whole "missin' out on seein' first-run movies of the bygone era" isn't the ONLY reason you should feel sorry for not bein' a "Boomer" like ME!!!!

(...'cause kid, WE had the BEST OF IT back in the day!) 

I just realized this thread could just be a way to find out how old we are! 

It wasn't my first movie, but I took my first date in 9th grade to see the first run screening of Auntie Mame.

The second date wasn't quite as sophisticated, though:  I took her to see The Blob.

I just realized this thread could just be a way to find out how old we are! 

It wasn't my first movie, but I took my first date in 9th grade to see the first run screening of Auntie Mame.

The second date wasn't quite as sophisticated, though:  I took her to see The Blob.

Well Andy, at least you didn't make the same mistake I once did on a first date back in the day.

In efforts to show "how sophisticated" I was, I took a girl I had had a major crush on all through high school and when I finally screwed up enough courage to ask her out in our senior year, to so see that most "uplifting" saga of marathon dancing, "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?".

(...we both were so depressed as we walked out of that theater, that it, well let us just say, "didn't inspire a whole lot of post-screening passion") 

Well, I hate to rub it in here kid, but this whole "missin' out on seein' first-run movies of the bygone era" isn't the ONLY reason you should feel sorry for not bein' a "Boomer" like ME!!!!

(...'cause kid, WE had the BEST OF IT back in the day!)

You got that right Dargo :) I was a little girl in the '50's, but my older sister taught me how to do the lindy, the stroll while wathcing AMERICAN BANDSTAND, all that great rock n roll 50's songs. A pre-teen in the early '60's, and the best music and clothes as a teen in the mid to late '60's.

Back to movies, I also remember very vivdly seeing Cinderella and Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs in a theater.They re-released those Disney films. also remember crying hysterically at the end of the Lana, Sandra version of IMITATION of LIFE. Sat. were sci-fi movies. THER INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED. All these under the age of 10. Saw Psycho way before I was 10,every summer Hitchcock films THE BIRDS,MARNIE.

So yes Dargo, best years to grow up in.

It is not possible for me to say which movie I watched first for several reasons:

My uncle would babysit me when my mother worked. He put my highchair next to his projector while he showed movies. It is in this way that I saw my first theatrical-release movie when I was perhaps six months of age. Problem with this is that I do not know if it qualifies for your question as it was not in building-built-to-be-theater as he showed movies in old factories and basements and other such places and there was no refreshment stand or ushers or other such things.

I might have been two or three years of age when I sat alone for first time in built-to-be-a-theater room. It would have been a foreign movie as it was in hotel which catered to foreign visitors in which my father worked. They showed movies at all times of day for families of guests while the guests were performing the business which brought them to the city.

I know that I must have watched: Tretya meshchanskaya (1927) when very young because a family story is that I wanted a thing at the market it because it was like the one: "the pretty lady has." No person knew what I meant until my uncle recognized it as being in that movie. It is likely that I saw that in legitimate theater open to the public.

I am sorry to say that I can put no chronology to movies which I remember watching when very young because available movies were of many eras and were not limited to recently released ordering.

I'm not sure.  One day I will have to look up back issues of the small town newspaper where I grew up for showtimes, but I suspect I saw either Hansel and Gretel:  An Opera Fantasy and the Disney animated version of Robin Hood before I saw The Shaggy Dog.

I saw so many films during their original run, in theaters.  However, the first two I actually recall seeing during their initial releases are LADY AND THE TRAMP and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY, so I assume, without actually looking them up, they were released in the same year.

I don't think there are any Amish at this forum.  Otherwise we would see post asking why TCM didn't honor the Amish with Amish movies on Amish day.   ;)

My fiance has a framed postcard which was sent to him by an unknown person. It reads: "This is the Amish Virus. Please respect our religion's refusal to use technology, and delete all the files on your computer yourself."

• Like 1

Well Andy, at least you didn't make the same mistake I once did on a first date back in the day.

In efforts to show "how sophisticated" I was, I took a girl I had had a major crush on all through high school and when I finally screwed up enough courage to ask her out in our senior year, to so see that most "uplifting" saga of marathon dancing, "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?".

Which ironically is nearly the only Jane Fonda movie I can bear to watch, other than Walk on the Wild Side and maybe Klute

But that said, I doubt I would've chosen They Shoot Horses, Don't They? for my first date.  By the time that movie came around, my then-GF and I were well past the stage of needing movies to act as an aphrodisiac.  We both just thought it was a terrific movie, beginning with one of the best soundtrack themes ever.

I saw the re-release of Disney's "The Aristocats" in 1987 when I was 3.

I suppose that "The Aristocats" was a bit more suitable for a 3 year old than "The Aristocrats", though I don't think that Uncle Walt had much to do with that one. ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings