Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The little look for the silver lining jingle

fssbdgtsue59

I have tried to understand all the words in that bit of music but I'll be darned if I can't make out one word. It starts off as "look for the silver lining/when there are _________ clouds in the blue, etc. Can somebody fill in that word for me before I go nuts???? :) Sue

here you go Sue, except these are the entire lyrics for the chorus--Chet Baker's version is the 1st 3 lines and the last 2

Look for the silver lining

When e'er a cloud appears in the blue.

Remember some where the sun is shining,

And so the right thing to do,

Is make it shine for you.

A heart, full of joy and gladness,

Will always banish sadness and strife.

So always look for the silver lining,

And try to find the sunny side of life.

Just my opinion, but that "look for the silver lining" song on TCM is about the most annoying thing I've heard. I put my t.v. on "mute" whenever it comes on. The guy singing it sounds like he's singing out of tune through a straw underwater. I can't wait until they come up with a better jingle.

Brackenhe--thank you, thank you, thank you! That jingle has haunted me since the first time I heard it. My upper range hearing is impaired so when he goes up to sing er'e(sp) I just couldn't catch it. Even went through the alphabet to try to conjure up something. You have made my day! Thanks! :) Sue

TCM desperately needs to replace all four of their intros. I'm sick to death of all of them, with the possible exception of the 'big band' one shown during the day. I see that one the least, but even it's beginning to wear out its' welcome.

I agree. TCM needs to spruce up their in-betweens. I'd like to see more of those penlight portrayals-I get mesmerized just watching them all work backwards and getting it to come out so good. I'd really like to see the very first one they aired-but alas, they have never shown it again. Instead they concentrate on just a few, over and over, which is getting boring, too. And I'd like to see more of "What A Character." The one about Edna May Oliver was great so let's see some more. I also kind of like the Robert Benchley shorts. He's funny and can get into so many predicaments that it's almost unbelievable. Cracks me up. I'm sure that TCM programmer can come up with some new in-betweens and let the present ones RIP. JMHO :) Sue

The big band sequence during the day used to be even longer. It started with an exterior shot of train slowly pulling out of a station (taken from a Judy Garland movie I can't name at the moment), but the whole sequence was cut short to show only the band playing.

It's true, these intros are old and grating. The same ones have been used since the beginning.

The night train shot that gives the rating does not go back to the beginning though. TCM used to have the rating flash in the corner during the MGM lion roar, or the TKO world with the plane flying around, etc. (Like IFC does)

Chet Baker's song is not so bad and I like the art. Elsewhere on the forum here, somebody identified the artist whose work is themed here. I can't remember who it was. In my area of the country, this intro is used in the dead middle of the night. I supposed TCM thinks that those who are still up and watching are either insomniacs or depressives and need some cheering up.

Oh, I would have loved to see Ednay May Oliver in the What A Character segment. I've never seen any of them. I like the Robert Benchley shorts, they are verrrry clever.

Does anyone here remember the old timey radio announcer on AMC? Turns out (unless I've very much mistaken) he's now the shrink on the Law and Order show. The oily salesman from Remember WENN shows up on Law and Order now and again as well.

;-) I don't consider myself depressed or necessarily in need of cheering up but I probably can be classified as an insomniac... LOL I do like the old intros. I find them comforting in that they are so familiar. Mind you, I'd never balk at something new being thrown into the mix as well tho.

As for the silver lining jingle -- it *is* cheery, isn't it?! Nice way to start a day... or for some of us, end one. :-)

• 5 weeks later...

Bracken--I've been listening really closely lately to that little jingle and it doesn't really match your first verse. It goes: Look for the silver lining

when ____clouds_____in the blue

remember somewhere the sun is shining

so always look for the silver lining

and try to find the sunny side of life

Help again please. Everyone else is invited to join in too. :) Sue

Sue, I think Brackenhe was saying---and it looks like her post was unfinished---that of the two stanzas she printed out, the first three lines of the first stanza and the last two lines of the second stanza is what is being sung, which is what I hear when I listened to it, to wit see the bold:

Look for the silver lining

When e'er a cloud appears in the blue.

Remember some where the sun is shining,

And so the right thing to do,

Is make it shine for you.

A heart, full of joy and gladness,

Will always banish sadness and strife.

So always look for the silver lining,

And try to find the sunny side of life.

Brackenhe, do I understand correctly.

Hi Helen! I'm back, too, after some more miseries you don't want to hear about. But, yes, you are right as you usually are. I listened to it very closely several times and it comes out the way you put it. It was a matter of emphasis and the way in which he sang the words that got me all muddled up. I have lost some of my upper range hearing so tenors and sopranos drive me crazy--give me a baritone any day!! Thanks! :):) Sue

Look For The Silver Lining is a Jerome Kern standard song and is public domain. That's probably why they used it. :)

You can obtain the original sheet music and lyrics for it on the Lester Levy Sheet Music site. It's at:

http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/cgi-bin/display.pl?record=189.112b.000&pages=5

Marilyn Miller (i.e. Sunny, Suzy) is on the front cover but the song dates back to 1920, hence its public domain status.