Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kay Francis appreciation thread

TopBilled

I told myself I was going to start a thread like this, and I need to make good on it. I hope it leads to a lot of nice comments. I have personal reasons for appreciating Kay Francis.

What are your favorite Kay Francis films and why?

Favorite Kay Francis movies?  While she's so drop-dead gorgeous I find myself compelled to watch every one I can, the only ones that come to mind as being much above average are Trouble in Paradise, Jewel Robbery, One Way Passage, and The House on 56th Street. And only in the last of those is she really the main character in terms of charisma, though in Trouble in Paradise she's terrific in her (slightly) secondary role.

Not that there aren't many others that I enjoy, but they're almost all formula movies, usually soapers,  where her chief attributes are her beauty and her ability to evoke sincerity.  She's not even remotely on the same page as the truly great actresses of her era such as Stanwyck, Davis, Crawford, Harlow, Loy, Arthur, Colbert, etc.

I told myself I was going to start a thread like this, and I need to make good on it. I hope it leads to a lot of nice comments. I have personal reasons for appreciating Kay Francis.

What are your favorite Kay Francis films and why?

Okay then, TB. If you're lookin' for a lot of nice comments here, allow me to get the following mentioned and out of the way for the rest of your thread's duration...

Elmer Fudd

Barbara Walters

Bennett Cerf

...hmmmm...I know there's somebody else but I can't think of 'em right now.

LOL

(...sorry, couldn't resist...but yeah, and for the record, I think Kay was a very good actress and always enjoy watching her movies)

I have liked all of the films of hers that I have seen. But my favorite is Trouble in Paradise.

I'd venture to opine that Trouble in Paradise is one of the most unanimously appreciated films in the entire TCM repertory.  The screwball fans love it, the pre-code fans love it, the fans of the three leading actors love it----and please note that it couldn't have been made under the Breen code.  It's also one of those movies that just gets better and better no matter how many times you watch it.

• Like 1

Okay then, TB. If you're lookin' for a lot of nice comments here, allow me to get the following mentioned and out of the way for the rest of your thread's duration...

Elmer Fudd

Barbara Walters

Bennett Cerf

...hmmmm...I know there's somebody else but I can't think of 'em right now.

LOL

(...sorry, couldn't resist...but yeah, and for the record, I think Kay was a very good actress and always enjoy watching her movies)

Mean..........

In addition to those films already mentioned, I'd like to add Confession. A film out of the ordinary in her resume and which required her to act, which she did superbly. Most of her vehicles didnt require much of her (weepers with outlandish plots), but she somehow made you think SHE believed them in her acting...........Too bad she didnt stay at Paramount. Would have been a better fit for her. WB wasted her.

• Like 1

Mean..........

Well, like I just told darkblue in ANOTHER thread here today, Hibi...

Yeah...and SO unlike me, huh..err..eh, ol' buddy?! LOL

(...of course, you'll have to change my endearment of "ol' buddy" to the more gender appropriate "dear lady" to get the full and proper effect in your case here)

LOL

Well, like I just told darkblue in ANOTHER thread here today, Hibi...

(...of course, you'll have to change my endearment of "ol' buddy" to the more gender appropriate "dear lady" to get the full and proper effect in your case here)

LOL

I dont find her lisp that noticeable. I know people make fun of it, but I hardly notice it when she talks... Just seems a bit mean to make fun of some affliction someone has/had. But I know that's how it goes.........

I've probably posted this at least 4 or 5 times over the years, since there have been many Kay Francis threads. I do love her though. TROUBLE IN PARADISE, CONFESSION and MANDALAY are my favorites. Loved her beauty and style, but there have been quite a few over the top hats LOL She had beautiful eyes and an intelligent face. Whenever there's a Kay film on, whether it's a good one or not I do my best to be home to watch it.

One Way Passage is also one of my favorite tearjerkers, Her nasty role in In Name Only was exceptional, and Jewel Robbery was a delightful bauble. Living on Velvet was also quite good, as was Another Dawn. And The Feminine Touch. And For the Defense. And The White Angel. And The Goose and the Gander. And, well maybe I should stop while I am ahead. She is simply one of my favorite actresses.

Yes, I'd forgotten In Name Only. It's too bad WB didnt put her in more comedies as she had a flair for them. Once the soap opera genre clicked they rarely cast her in anything else...........

I dont find her lisp that noticeable. I know people make fun of it, but I hardly notice it when she talks... Just seems a bit mean to make fun of some affliction someone has/had. But I know that's how it goes.........

Well first Hibi, the correct term to describe this vocal phenomenon of substituting the "R' sound for a "W" sound isn't a "lisp". It's known as "Rhotacism".

Secondly, I agree with you that Kay's "affliction"(as you stated) isn't all that pronounced.

And thirdly, I must assume you ALSO must have thought the late great SNL comedienne Gilda Radner was always being "mean" whenever she did her "Baba Wawa" shtick back in the day, RIGHT?!

(..I mean, I guess "consistency" might count for SOMTHIN' anyway, huh?!)

I've probably posted this at least 4 or 5 times over the years, since there have been many Kay Francis threads. I do love her though. TROUBLE IN PARADISE, CONFESSION and MANDALAY are my favorites. Loved her beauty and style, but there have been quite a few over the top hats LOL She had beautiful eyes and an intelligent face. Whenever there's a Kay film on, whether it's a good one or not I do my best to be home to watch it.

Yes, Mandalay is fun. What outfits! I had read that white clinging gown she wore as Spot White was so tight she tripped and fell down those stairs in one take.........

Well first Hibi, the correct term to describe this vocal phenomenon of substituting the "R' sound for a "W" sound isn't a "lisp". It's known as "Rhotacism".

Secondly, I agree with you that Kay's "affliction"(as you stated) isn't all that pronounced.

And thirdly, I must assume you ALSO must have thought the late great SNL comedienne Gilda Radner was always being "mean" whenever she did her "Baba Wawa" shtick back in the day, RIGHT?!

(..I mean, I guess "consistency" might count for SOMTHIN' anyway, huh?!)

Yes, I KNOW. We've been down this road before several times (rhotacism) It gets old........

Yes, I KNOW. We've been down this road before several times (rhotacism) It gets old........

And thus why I "got it out of the way" EARLY in this baby!!! LOL

(...man...sometimes Hibi, I'm sorry here but I think you "run hot-and-cold" around here sometimes with what you find "funny" and what you don't...and soooooo, my apologies here to both YOU for my attempt at "humor" AND to Mr. TB for my little offhanded joke)

(...man...sometimes Hibi, I'm sorry here but I think you "run hot-and-cold" around here sometimes with what you find "funny" and what you don't...and soooooo, my apologies here to both YOU for my attempt at "humor" AND to Mr. TB for my little offhanded joke)

No big deal. Sometimes I think I've been on the boards too long. Stuff gets recycled and repetitious.  No apologies necessary really.

No big deal. Sometimes I think I've been on the boards too long. Stuff gets recycled and repetitious.  No apologies necessary really.

No harm, no foul then.

And now in an attempt to lighten your present mood, might I suggest you head over to the George Brent thread and poke a little fun at the size of his behind.

(...oooh, THAT'S right...you find doin' stuff like that "mean" and "repetitive" now, doncha...never mind then!) LOL

Here is a good website to get started with information about how harmful it is when people bully or make fun of others with lisps, stammering and speech impediments.  I think Dargo needs to make good on his apology and edit his earlier posts.

http://www.bullyonline.org/related/stammer.htm

No harm, no foul then.

And now in an attempt to lighten your present mood, might I suggest you head over to the George Brent thread and poke a little fun at the size of his behind.

(...oooh, THAT'S right...you find doin' stuff like that "mean" and "repetitive" now, doncha...never mind then!) LOL

Dargo, you are very off-topic in this thread. I would appreciate your sticking to the topic of Kay Francis movies. Thank you.

Yes, that dress Kay wore as SPOT WHITE coming down that staircase in MANDALAY is gorgeous. MANDALAY is a very racey movie and also could never have passed that Breen code.

Forgot to mention PLAY GIRL. Thought Kay was funny in that one as the goldigger.

I am glad you mentioned PLAY GIRL. If you notice, I did not list my favorite films in the OP, because quite frankly I have many favorite Kay Francis films. But I did consider mentioning PLAY GIRL, which shows how great she still was, after she left Warners. I love the relationship/scenes between Kay and Margaret Hamilton in this film.

Jeez, I've never really noticed that Kay Francis had a lisp, and I've certainly never caught myself thinking about George Brent's rear end.

OTOH I did notice that Phyllis Dietrichson's hair was suspiciously light colored, so it's not as if all subtle touches in movies escape my eagle eyes and ears.  I'm not even 100% certain that that was really Audrey belting out all those tunes in My Fair Lady, but that's probably just excessive cynicism on my part.

One Way Passage is also one of my favorite tearjerkers, Her nasty role in In Name Only was exceptional, and Jewel Robbery was a delightful bauble. Living on Velvet was also quite good, as was Another Dawn. And The Feminine Touch. And For the Defense. And The White Angel. And The Goose and the Gander. And, well maybe I should stop while I am ahead. She is simply one of my favorite actresses.

Mine too. Even in a mediocre programmer, she is still stunning and fun to watch. I love every film of hers I've seen...even the one where she plays the mistress of Edward G. Robinson, which really seemed like a stretch!

Dargo, you are very off-topic in this thread. I would appreciate your sticking to the topic of Kay Francis movies. Thank you.

I think I already apologized to you for this, TB.

(...hmmmm..."apologize"...what a great concept, HUH?!...hint, hint) LOL

Jeez, I've never really noticed that Kay Francis had a lisp,

Actually, not a lisp per se, more of a "substitution" problem, where one sound

replaces another.

But for me, it never gets in the way of enjoying her movies.

I would be interested in knowing if she ever made any attempt to go to

speech therapy to help alleviate the problem...

Overeasy

How did I miss this thread??  I love Kay.  Even in her most overwrought roles she brings

style and a sense of humor to everything she does.  I have always thought her pairings with

William Powell were particularly fun but she could co-star with anyone (and pretty much did)

and have great chemistry. If you have read either of her bios (horribly written but each does give a wee bit of insight into Kay) you can tell that she carried her celebrity lightly and never took herself too seriously. 

Among my favorites:

Guilty Hands

One Way Passage

Another Dawn

Mandalay

Jewel Robbery

Mary Stevens, MD

Kay is such a guilty pleasure . . .

Lydecker

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings