Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bad Recordings of Movies Shown By Turner Classic Movies

Mario500

My home's only DVD recorder was recording Turner Classic Movies' broadcast of "The Raven" (the one originally released in 1963) this morning until my cable TV system had a problem that left the channel with the movie blank during the first 30 minutes of its broadcast. I was unaware of the channel being blank since I was in a different room watching the movie on a different TV set while in bed.

I hope the movie becomes available through Turner Classic Movies' video-on-demand service soon or someone at Turner Classic Movies decides to have it broadcast again soon (I had been preparing for today's broadcast for months).

There have been a few times when the same thing you describe happened.  Or the picture freezes at one point and remains that way for the rest of the recording.  It does not happen much now. 

Don't despair about The Raven.  TCM shows it once in a while.

You're upset about missing a chance to copy THE RAVEN?  Really, dude?  You do know that film is on DVD and you can get a copy of it for under ten bucks, right?

The only time I get angry with TCM is when they screw-up or pull a showing of a very rare film that's not available from any other (legit) source.

My home's only DVD recorder was recording Turner Classic Movies' broadcast of "The Raven" (the one originally released in 1963) this morning until my cable TV system had a problem that left the channel with the movie blank during the first 30 minutes of its broadcast. I was unaware of the channel being blank since I was in a different room watching the movie on a different TV set while in bed.

I hope the movie becomes available through Turner Classic Movies' video-on-demand service soon or someone at Turner Classic Movies decides to have it broadcast again soon (I had been preparing for today's broadcast for months).

Try oldies.com or ccvideo.com for DVD's.  Lots of them.   Oldies.com has a ton or old movies.

• Like 1

Once in a while I have noticed my cable dvr playback will be blank.   What I have done in the past is go back to the recording later that day or another day and it has reappeared, completely in tact.  I have the newer cloud based dvrs and they seem to be a bit temperamental to say the least.  I actually hate them :). I don't know if you have that type or as you say, it is simply blank for the first 30 minutes.   

It also enjoy that movie and I am sure TCM will show it again soon. 

You're upset about missing a chance to copy THE RAVEN?  Really, dude?  You do know that film is on DVD and you can get a copy of it for under ten bucks, right?

The only time I get angry with TCM is when they screw-up or pull a showing of a very rare film that's not available from any other (legit) source.

I'm sorry but this is a bit unfair.  Not everyone wants or needs to spend $10 for a movie.    That is the reason people have cable and a dvr so that they can record and view movies later.   Unfortunately this time he was not able to watch it.   Hopefully it will air again soon.  I"m sure it will.

• Like 1

Once in a while I have noticed my cable dvr playback will be blank.   What I have done in the past is go back to the recording later that day or another day and it has reappeared, completely in tact.  I have the newer cloud based dvrs and they seem to be a bit temperamental to say the least.  I actually hate them :). I don't know if you have that type or as you say, it is simply blank for the first 30 minutes.   

It also enjoy that movie and I am sure TCM will show it again soon. 

I did not check the digital recording made by the cable TV receiver I used to record the movie onto DVD. I probably should have let the receiver record the movie first before deciding whether to record it onto DVD (I had originally planned on this, but I managed to wake up shortly before the movie was broadcast and thought it was best to have it on DVD all ready), but I was afraid it would not record the entire movie just like the time it did not record all of TCM's recent broadcast of a restored version of "The Gold Rush" due to my setting its recording hours in advance (I had planned on recording their next broadcast of "The Gold Rush" onto DVD also since they had planned on broadcasting it again this July, but I may use the recording feature of the cable TV receiver first and not have its recording set hours in advance. I had planned on using the recording feature this way long before their broadcast of "The Raven" not only due to the way it recorded "The Gold Rush" before, but due to the possibility that TCM may not broadcast the same restored version again this July).

By the way, the blank DVD I used to record "The Raven" was a DVD+R, meaning I cannot use it to record the movie again in the same recording mode ("SP") due to the space used to record it in the first place not being reusable, but I still have plenty of other DVD+Rs from which it came and I could still use the one I used for "The Raven" to record a different movie.

By the way, the blank DVD I used to record "The Raven" was a DVD-R, meaning I cannot use it to record the movie again in the same recording mode ("SP") due to the space used to record it in the first place not being reusable, but I still have plenty of other DVD-Rs from which it came and I could still use the one I used for "The Raven" to record a different movie.

I always use RW disks.  That way, if I record a movie I don't care for, I can erase it and re-record as many times as I want.

I intend on purchasing some more DVD-RWs in the future since I do have any blank DVD-RWs at the moment and the only blank DVDs available to me at this time are the those of the DVD+R DL variety that came with my first set of blank DVD-RWs and those of the DVD+R variety that were obtained by members of my family for any one of us to use for recording.

By the way, I corrected my previous message in which I had "DVD-R" by mistake. I meant to type DVD+R.