Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mae West spotlight tonight (July 3)

HoldenIsHere

I'm looking forward to TCM's spotlight on Mae West tonight.

I've actually never seen ANY of her movies although I am aware of her persona. 

Of the 5 movies being shown, which ones are must-sees?

SHE DONE HIM WRONG (featuring her performance of "Frankie and Johnny")  is one I definitely plan to watch.

Oh, good! Thanks for the reminder. Her first two films were her best along with Klondike Annie. Chickadee has its moments.

I meant by first two, her first two starring films. I'd forgotten about Night After Night........

Here's to the lady who indirectly lead to the founding of the Legion of Decency! Long may she reign and make uncomfortable the stuffed shirts and tightly-clenched bums of the self-righteous! 

LOL! Sad but true! Think it was a radio show w/Charlie McCarthy that did it......

• Like 1

NIGHT AFTER NIGHT is my favorite of hers-- she is only fourth-billed, but she becomes an instant movie star with this picture. George Raft, years later, said she stole everything but the cameras. 

imgres-118.jpg

In this film, she is paired with Alison Skipworth (known as Skippy by her pals at Paramount). And there is something very funny about Mae and Skippy playing off each other-- such complete opposites. Proving that you do not have to be a starlet to capture viewers' attention-- Mae was 39 and Skippy was 69 when NIGHT AFTER NIGHT premiered.

I'm looking forward to TCM's spotlight on Mae West tonight.

I've actually never seen ANY of her movies although I am aware of her persona. 

Of the 5 movies being shown, which ones are must-sees?

SHE DONE HIM WRONG (featuring her performance of "Frankie and Johnny")  is one I definitely plan to watch.

Oh, you're in for a great treat!  

. Night After Night has her in a supporting role and she steals the film from George Raft.

Oh, like that was a real hard thing to do. I've seen films where George was outshone by the opening credits.

But yeah, it's wunderbar that Mae is getting some TCM-love. The only thing that worries me is that I live on the East Coast and- ALL DAY TODAY- the National Weather Service has interrupted every channel once every ten minutes (I'm not exaggerating) with that screeching-hawk sound, followed by a grainy recording that sounds like it's coming through the speaker at a McDonald's drive-thru informing me that there is a flash flood watch or a tornado warning.

So, I'm thinking I'm in for: "Why doncha' come up and see...SCREEEEEEEEE SCREEEEEEEE SCREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!" tonight.

Thanks, TCM, for the Mae West tribute.

She is truly deserving of all the superlatives given to her both as a performer and a writer. 

I think my favorite of her movies that aired last night was I'M NO ANGEL. Her questioning of the witnesses in the courtroom scene (followed by her sauntering past the jury) was especially funny, a truly laugh out loud performance.

I also liked SHE DONE HIM WRONG, but I was a little disappointed that she did not finish the "Frankie and Johnny" song.

I loved the classroom scene in MY LITTLE CHICKADEE with Mae West filling in for the teacher. Her explanation of subtraction and her "propaganda" remark were hilarious. And when the boys whistled at her and she said "Enough of that," it was clear that she enjoyed being the "hot substitute."

• Like 2

I loved the classroom scene in MY LITTLE CHICKADEE with Mae West filling in for the teacher. Her explanation of subtraction and her "propaganda" remark were hilarious. And when the boys whistled at her and she said "Enough of that," it was clear that she enjoyed being the "hot substitute."

I love the part on the train, near the beginning of the film, where Fields proposes to her and asks if she'll take him. She looks at a bag of cash on the floor and says 'oh, I'll take you, and how!' 

Unfortunately, a good friend called me last night and needed to have a one-on-one b*tch session, so I had to forego the first few Mae features. But I did catch Belle of the Nineties, and I loved the line in retort to "all that girl thinks about is having a good time":

"I don't just think about it honey."

(I paraphrase from memory, but oh it was good.)

Thanks TCM, and I hope this means a defrost in the relations with Paramount- so many titles from them that we all want to see.

I think She Done Him Wrong needs to be added to the "Pre-Codes that Pushed the Envelope" thread.  Here's Diamond Lil, who (spoiler) kills a character, the body gets dumped off somewhere, and she ends up in a cab with Cary Grant, who is offering to marry her.  

She's also been two-timing her convict boyfriend with the saloon owner.  Talk about no bad deed going unpunished. Then, there are the double entendres.  I especially like the one when Grant puts the cuffs on her.  She says something like "You don't need your hands for everything."

I think She Done Him Wrong needs to be added to the "Pre-Codes that Pushed the Envelope" thread.  Here's Diamond Lil, who (spoiler) kills a character, the body gets dumped off somewhere, and she ends up in a cab with Cary Grant, who is offering to marry her.  

She's also been two-timing her convict boyfriend with the saloon owner.  Talk about no bad deed going unpunished. Then, there are the double entendres.  I especially like the one when Grant puts the cuffs on her.  She says something like "You don't need your hands for everything."

Actually I felt like a lot of Ben's remarks last night (along with Mae's films) would fit the Precode Friday Night Spotlight in September.

Though I love the two basics (I'm No Angel, She Done Him Wrong), 

I'm still waiting for my favorite, Every Day's a Holiday. Favorite line (Lloyd Nolan to Mae West): "So, Mademoiselle Fifi is Peaches O'Day!"

And still waiting for Klondike Annie. Favorite line:

Mae West to Soo Yong: "Fah Wong, turn down the bedsheets! I'm headed for the arms of Morpheus!"

• Like 1

I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner last night (not MINE, ladies ... what's up?), but I recorded, I think, four of the movies and plan to watch them at some future date. The only one I've ever seen is SHE DONE HIM WRONG, which TCM aired during 31 Days of Oscar a looong time ago (2005? 2006?). I, too, was very happy to see a whole evening's slate of Paramount and Universal films and hope that bodes well for the future. I would dig seeing a retrospective of Cary Grant's Paramount work from the early to mid '30s, for example.

I would dig seeing a retrospective of Cary Grant's Paramount work from the early to mid '30s, for example.

I got home just in time to catch the last five minutes or so of She Done Him Wrong and was struck by how different Grant was from his later persona.

Not bad, but a little stiff, a little uncomfortable. It's the only film I've seen him in where he seems to be really trying to come off as distinctly American (and tough)- before he adopted the hybridized British+American= cultured "Cary Grant Accent" that he is so known for.

Along with Sylvia Scarlett, it is a fascinating insight into Cary Grant before he really became CARY GRANT.

(If that makes any sense.)

ps- I recall from a (TCM produced?)  documentary on Grant that- as per a close friend of his- Cary hated Mae West and resented her taking credit for "discovering" him.

Oh, like that was a real hard thing to do. I've seen films where George was outshone by the opening credits.

But yeah, it's wunderbar that Mae is getting some TCM-love. The only thing that worries me is that I live on the East Coast and- ALL DAY TODAY- the National Weather Service has interrupted every channel once every ten minutes (I'm not exaggerating) with that screeching-hawk sound, followed by a grainy recording that sounds like it's coming through the speaker at a McDonald's drive-thru informing me that there is a flash flood watch or a tornado warning.

So, I'm thinking I'm in for: "Why doncha' come up and see...SCREEEEEEEEE SCREEEEEEEE SCREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!" tonight.

I know those well. You poor thing!

I got home just in time to catch the last five minutes or so of She Done Him Wrong and was struck by how different Grant was from his later persona.

Not bad, but a little stiff, a little uncomfortable. It's the only film I've seen him in where he seems to be really trying to come off as distinctly American (and tough)- before he adopted the hybridized British+American= cultured "Cary Grant Accent" that he is so known for.

Along with Sylvia Scarlett, it is a fascinating insight into Cary Grant before he really became CARY GRANT.

(If that makes any sense.)

ps- I recall from a (TCM produced?)  documentary on Grant that- as per a close friend of his- Cary hated Mae West and resented her taking credit for "discovering" him.

Yes, I recall some disparaging remarks he made about her late in life. Mainly concerning her ego. All she cared about was herself and her part etc. (which was true, Mae had a HUGE ego........)

Homegirl had HUGE everything.

Thank God she never made a film with Brent; that's how tsunamis happen.

I've read that when she was in Broadway doing Darling Lil, the origin play to She Done Him Wrong, she had the actresses blacken their teeth so that hers could stand out more. 

It could be worse. You could be a well-known, recognized actress who deserves top billing, and do a film with Meryl Streep and get second-tiered recognition for sharing the bill. 

Mae and Meryl have a lot in common, but I do prefer West more, because its not like she was that calculating. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings