Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WARNING: Has Anyone Noticed There Are Few Butterflies Around?

TomJH

Hmmph!  I think those flies you mention simply found their way to MY house!  I don't know HOW they keep getting in, but they find a way.

No shortage of fireflies around here.  We also used to call 'em "lightnin' bugs".  They have black wings bordered with orange and emit light from their b u t t s, it appears.  Nice sight on a mild summer night.  Beats the HELL out of mosquitoes.  I mentioned my close proximity to a creek, and plenty of bugs to go around.  For the second time since I moved to this house, I found a praying mantis clinging to my front screen door this morning.  I'll leave him (or her?) alone for now, doesn't seem to be a threat.

Sepiatone

Hmmph!  I think those flies you mention simply found their way to MY house!  I don't know HOW they keep getting in, but they find a way.

No shortage of fireflies around here.  We also used to call 'em "lightnin' bugs".  They have black wings bordered with orange and emit light from their b u t t s, it appears.  Nice sight on a mild summer night.  Beats the HELL out of mosquitoes.  I mentioned my close proximity to a creek, and plenty of bugs to go around.  For the second time since I moved to this house, I found a praying mantis clinging to my front screen door this morning.  I'll leave him (or her?) alone for now, doesn't seem to be a threat.

Sepiatone

I haven't seen a mantis in years. I remember picking one up as a kid and getting a good sting from him with his pincers. Served me right, too. I think they're one of the more fascinating of insects.

Are you sure those are ladybugs, Ham?  There WAS an invasion of some weird asian beetle that looked a lot like ladybugs, but weren't.  Had tons of them into the flaps of my canvas "gazeebo" patio thing, and my neice had tons of them settled on her front screen door.  I thought they WERE ladybugs until an article in my local paper centered on them and explained what they were.

Sepiatone

Are you sure those are ladybugs, Ham?  There WAS an invasion of some weird asian beetle that looked a lot like ladybugs, but weren't.  Had tons of them into the flaps of my canvas "gazeebo" patio thing, and my neice had tons of them settled on her front screen door.  I thought they WERE ladybugs until an article in my local paper centered on them and explained what they were.

Sepiatone

Whatever they're called, I hate them. (Also the stink bugs) :(

STINKBUG-2-articleLarge.jpg

I'm seeing more and more butterflies around lately. I saw three today - all different patterns and sizes. Sometimes I just sit and watch in amazement as they flutter by in their (apparent) haphazard manner. Sometimes they look as if they just came from Joe's Bar & Grill's Happy Hour. How do they manage to get anywhere? Then I notice they've gone quite a ways in the few seconds I've watched. I think their using some kind of Jedi mind trick on me.

• Like 1

I've been hearing more cicadas lately (even though it's hardly been a hot summer).

However, we are now into August, and I've yet to hear a single cricket this summer or sight a single grasshopper, the first summer I can recall in which that is the case.

I've been hearing more cicadas lately (even though it's hardly been a hot summer).

However, we are now into August, and I've yet to hear a single cricket this summer or sight a single grasshopper, the first summer I can recall in which that is the case.

I've been up in the country a couple of times recently, Putnam County, about 1 1/2 hours north of New York City. There seem to be plenty of insects up there, of all kinds. Didn't see any butterflies, but then I rarely do. But just about everything else.

TomJH, on 06 Aug 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:snapback.png

I've been up in the country a couple of times recently, Putnam County, about 1 1/2 hours north of New York City. There seem to be plenty of insects up there, of all kinds. Didn't see any butterflies, but then I rarely do. But just about everything else.

Explanation

http://www.magicicada.org/magicicada_2014.php

They are referred to as Jar Fly in my area.

I should have won the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes by now - 3 times over.

You've got enough there to open your own Chocolate Covered Lady Bugs operation. The grasshopper version is a thriving business.

Sayy.. maybee...

• 2 weeks later...

As a rather coolish summer approaches its final weeks in southern Ontario, I have to report that nothing has changed since I initiated this thread regarding the relative absence of butterflies. This applies to butterflies of any kind, not just the monarchs that have received so much publicity with their dwindling numbers.

A week ago I encountered a lady with camera in hand in a marsh area nearby, Her hobby is nature photography, and she lamented the absence of butterflies to me before I even had a chance to say anything. There are still a few around, of course, but their decline from just last summer has been DRAMATIC, from my perspective.

The dramatic reduction of bees continues, of course, in this area. I can report having heard cicadas in the past month or so, as well as, crickets, within the past couple of weeks.

On the other hand, I've seen almost no snails, nor do I recall having seen any ladybugs.

Another thing. Having gone out of my way to walk through some patches of tall dry grass I can honestly say that this is the first summer in my life in which I have failed to see ONE SINGLE GRASSHOPPER! And I mean that literally. Not one!

That includes walking through some tall grass in a naturalized area near my home where there were definitely grasshoppers last summer, as there were, indeed, all summers before that.

I could just as well rename this thread:

Has Anyone Noticed There Are No Grasshoppers This Summer?

It's difficult to say if the bird population has been impacted yet.

I will make this observation, though. Every summer I marvel at the large flocks of starlings that will suddenly descend upon lawns or trees, making a loud cacophony of chatter. There appear to be hundreds in these blacks flocks at times, which can suddenly take flight in unison and form dramatic and striking cloud formations in the sky because of their dense numbers.

I have not seen a single starling cloud formation of any kind this summer in southern Ontario.

That makes me wonder if, in turn, whatever appears to be happening to our ecosystem has already gone beyond the insect world, and is reducing the numbers of birds, as well.

As a rather coolish summer approaches its final weeks in southern Ontario, I have to report that nothing has changed since I initiated this thread regarding the relative absence of butterflies. This applies to butterflies of any kind, not just the monarchs that have received so much publicity with their dwindling numbers.

A week ago I encountered a lady with camera in hand in a marsh area nearby, Her hobby is nature photography, and she lamented the absence of butterflies to me before I even had a chance to say anything. There are still a few around, of course, but their decline from just last summer has been DRAMATIC, from my perspective.

The dramatic reduction of bees continues, of course, in this area. I can report having heard cicadas in the past month or so, as well as, crickets, within the past couple of weeks.

On the other hand, I've seen almost no snails, nor do I recall having seen any ladybugs.

Another thing. Having gone out of my way to walk through some patches of tall dry grass I can honestly say that this is the first summer in my life in which I have failed to see ONE SINGLE GRASSHOPPER! And I mean that literally. Not one!

That includes walking through some tall grass in a naturalized area near my home where there were definitely grasshoppers last summer, as there were, indeed, all summers before that.

I could just as well rename this thread:

Has Anyone Noticed There Are No Grasshoppers This Summer?

It's difficult to say if the bird population has been impacted yet.

I will make this observation, though. Every summer I marvel at the large flocks of starlings that will suddenly descend upon lawns or trees, making a loud cacophony of chatter. There appear to be hundreds in these blacks flocks at times, which can suddenly take flight in unison and form dramatic and striking cloud formations in the sky because of their dense numbers.

I have not seen a single starling cloud formation of any kind this summer in southern Ontario.

That makes me wonder if, in turn, whatever appears to be happening to our ecosystem has already gone beyond the insect world, and is reducing the numbers of birds, as well.

It's difficult to second guess Mother Nature. As far as the birds are concerned, it may just be a matter of local weather. They may be right next door somewhere - maybe just some tens or perhaps a hundred kilometers away.

It's the same situation here in my little patch of the woods in Northern California.  No ladybugs, no butterflies, fewer insects in general. Some of our flowers and greenery have died due to the drought, so maybe the critters are going elsewhere.  There will be another six weeks or more of warm weather, so I'll report if there are any sightings.

It's the same situation here in my little patch of the woods in Northern California.  No ladybugs, no butterflies, fewer insects in general. Some of our flowers and greenery have died due to the drought, so maybe the critters are going elsewhere.  There will be another six weeks or more of warm weather, so I'll report if there are any sightings.

I had some perennials to die on me during the past couple of months.  This year has been weird weather wise. 

Just as a quick followup on my post from yesterday, what is the grasshopper situation in anyone's area, and what area would that be?

Are you still seeing them, or, like myself in southern Ontario (at least around Toronto), do they appear to be missing in action?

At least, with butterflies, I have seen a few. That is not at all the case with grasshoppers.They are completely missing. I've never seen a summer before without those hopping grass critters around.

imagesCA0QSXKD_zps83930402.jpg

Central Florida: East of Tampa

No major grasshopper presence - stop - may be too hot - stop - temps in the 90s many days - stop

Kid_Dabb

Your temps are the opposite of southern Ontario, where people are complaining that there's not enough heat.

Still, you indicate that the grasshopper population appears to be down around Tampa. That you have in common with us (our grasshopper population actually non-existent from what I've (not) seen of it so far).

Just as a quick followup on my post from yesterday, what is the grasshopper situation in anyone's area, and what area would that be?

Are you still seeing them, or, like myself in southern Ontario (at least around Toronto), do they appear to be missing in action?

At least, with butterflies, I have seen a few. That is not at all the case with grasshoppers.They are completely missing. I've never seen a summer before without those hopping grass critters around.

imagesCA0QSXKD_zps83930402.jpg

I have not seen a grasshopper here (Northern California) in a few years.

I have not seen a grasshopper here (Northern California) in a few years.

Really? A few years?

Grasshoppers need hot, dry conditions in order to prosper. As I said earlier, it's been a relatively cool summer (no temps over 86 degrees so far for the first time in recorded history, and few even in the 80s) in southern Ontario. Still, I've never seen a complete absence of the insect before.

I've read that hoppers are disappearing across the States (probably not causing many tears from farmers).