Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Attack of The 50 Foot Woman

NipkowDisc

I'd like to see a serious decent remake of this cult classic not like that idiotic 1993 HBO TV-movie with Daryl Hannah. For the title role I think someone hot but with a bitter sour look. The storyline should be faithful to the 1958 film. 

"There you are, you little worm!"  :angry: 

10icx3k.gif

I'd like to see a serious decent remake of this cult classic not like that idiotic 1993 HBO TV-movie with Daryl Hannah. For the title role I think someone hot but with a bitter sour look. The storyline should be faithful to the 1958 film. 

"There you are, you little worm!"  :angry: 

Make it groovy as "Village of the Giants" (1965)

Although I've seen it many times, the main reason to re-watch it is Allison Hayes.  I remember seeing her in a number of sci-fi films of the 50's, as well as westerns and dramas.  For some reason, she never made it big in Hollywood, even with a start as a Universal contractee.   She certainly had the looks and the talent.

The essentials for this evening are all 60s-70s .. stuff. What a programming day..

At least we got to see Leslie Howard and Bette Davis and now Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.

Alright! :lol:

Too bad Liz Taylor's not the 50 foot woman.

I remember reading that she had some health problems that sabotaged her career and caused her early death.  This was her loss and ours.  She was immediately recognizable and I agree that she could act. 

I believe she died of leukemia.

She appeared in many a lousy film, including this one, but she may give her best performance here, as an emotional wreck.  She also gets to wear some interesting outfits, to say the least.

Also, let's give a nod to Yvette Vickers, my favorite tramp ... and I say that with all due respect.  She was great.

The essentials for this evening are all 60s-70s .. stuff. What a programming day..

At least we got to see Leslie Howard and Bette Davis and now Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.

Alright! :lol:

Well actually the Liz and Dick movies tonight are all from the 1960s. It must be the TCM Underground films later that are from the 70s..

I believe she died of leukemia.

She appeared in many a lousy film, including this one, but she may give her best performance here, as an emotional wreck.  She also gets to wear some interesting outfits, to say the least.

Also, let's give a nod to Yvette Vickers, my favorite tramp ... and I say that with all due respect.  She was great.

She does look hot in those two white bedsheets. A whole lotta woman there.  :)

raynux.gif

On another thread, I've been talking about "feminist" roles for actresses.  This could be the ultimate one -- woman rises up and destroys unfaithful male partner.  Anyway, hubby and I had a few good laughs at this one, but he's not scared, since I'm 5'1.5" and not growing taller anytime soon.

On another thread, I've been talking about "feminist" roles for actresses.  This could be the ultimate one -- woman rises up and destroys unfaithful male partner.  Anyway, hubby and I had a few good laughs at this one, but he's not scared, since I'm 5'1.5" and not growing taller anytime soon.

To me this is the utimate un-feminist role.    An actual feminist would realize she made a poor choice and move on with her life.  But of course where would the fun in that be!

As for men;  One is more of a man if they win a women's heart with charm (like Flynn),  then using the John Wayne school of so called manhood.

I bought the movie poster for this quite a few years ago, solely because I thought the poster was hilarious and thought it'd be good home décor.  I hadn't actually seen the movie, however. 

post-28550-0-90268600-1404622451_thumb.jpg

I was so excited to see this film in the schedule, I recorded it this morning.  I'm looking forward to watching it.  I know it'll be campy but I have a feeling that it'll be hilarious (hilarious only in the way that bad 50s sci-fi films can be). 

I want to get "The Amazing Colossal Man" poster too.  I think it'd make a good accompaniment to "The Attack of the 50 Foot Woman."

post-28550-0-68113500-1404622619_thumb.jpg

post-28550-0-90268600-1404622451_thumb.jpg

post-28550-0-68113500-1404622619_thumb.jpg

As for men;  One is more of a man if they win a women's heart with charm (like Flynn),  then using the John Wayne school of so called manhood.

Wow! How coincidental here, James. I "read" that very same thought earlier today around here myself somewhere! ;)

speedracer-if you like this style poster art I recommend the (large format) book REYNOLD BROWN A LIFE IN PICTURES by Daniel Zimmer & Dave Horning. 

Reynold Brown was the artist who made the paintings used for those posters. His work is vast & remarkable.

Watched it again and it is "entertaining."

Spoiler Alert! Funniest parts are confliciting sizes.  One is when she is in the bedroom and all you see is her hand.  Based on the size of the hand, how could the rest of the body fit into the house, much less the bedroom or the bed?

When at the bar, she is about twice as tall as a car, but then towers over the two story "hotel."

When sheriff investigates the space craft, all the doorways are standard 7 ft. height and 30" openings and all items are at normal height and size for humans.  Ceilings appear to be about 8-9 ft.  How on earth did a 50' man get into and out of the ship and walk around in it?

Still worth watching.

Watched it again and it is "entertaining."

Spoiler Alert! Funniest parts are confliciting sizes.  One is when she is in the bedroom and all you see is her hand.  Based on the size of the hand, how could the rest of the body fit into the house, much less the bedroom or the bed?

When at the bar, she is about twice as tall as a car, but then towers over the two story "hotel."

When sheriff investigates the space craft, all the doorways are standard 7 ft. height and 30" openings and all items are at normal height and size for humans.  Ceilings appear to be about 8-9 ft.  How on earth did a 50' man get into and out of the ship and walk around in it?

Still worth watching.

He was transparent.  :lol: 

speedracer-if you like this style poster art I recommend the (large format) book REYNOLD BROWN A LIFE IN PICTURES by Daniel Zimmer & Dave Horning. 

Reynold Brown was the artist who made the paintings used for those posters. His work is vast & remarkable.

I'll have to check that out.  The library doesn't have it... maybe I'll try to find it at the huge bookstore Powell's up in Portland-- it's the largest independent bookstore in the world!

The old sci-fi films have some truly great movie posters.  I bought a calendar of Sci-Fi movie posters for my work area.. (had to put something fun up! Better than the boring temp service calendar).  The posters are truly hilarious. 

I also really love the old pulp fiction covers.  The aforementioned Powell's has a whole section of old pulp fiction books with hilarious covers and tag lines like-- "Twisted passions ruled her wanton body!" (Haha, I almost wrote wonton body). 

Some movies stick with you and they don't even have to be classics or with multi-million dollar budgets.

One of these is "Attack of the 50-Foot Woman" of which I can visualize whole scenes today even though I've not viewed it in many years.

Was not her philandering hubby called "Harry"? I can recall as a kid watching this with my brother and neighborhood kids, and seeing that giant rather flabby hand with the long, painted fingernails going into the bar maybe and trying to grab Harry away from the adorable Yvette Vickers.

Also remember Allison continually calling out Harry's name as she searched for him all over the county while wearing that very attractive towel.

It's a classic scene just as is the scene of Grant Williams fighting the spider in "The Incredible Shrinking Man" or Kevin McCarthy looking into the zombie seed pod eyes of Dana Wynter in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread because I finally watched this movie.  I had recorded it a couple weeks ago when it aired on TCM and at last, I got around to watching it last night.

Loved it!

First off, I really liked the jazzy music that played at the club where Harry and Honey were carrying on their adulterous affair.  I thought that the storyline was pretty decent for a low budget 50s sci fi flick.  In my opinion, remove the giant alien and the 50 foot woman part of it and the storyline could have easily been worked into a film noir storyline.  I kept waiting and waiting for Nancy to grow into the 50 Foot woman.  When they finally showed her hand, it was hilarious.  It looked like paper mache!

After Nancy finally grew into the giant, I was hoping she'd go on a rampage through the town, leaving nothing but debris and carnage in her wake.  Unfortunately, she was just a giant scorned woman on a mission and left pretty much everything else except the club alone. 

It was sweet when she got her revenge on Honey and Harry.  

The closing line was perfect:

"She finally got Harry all to herself."

Then of course, there were all the hilarious mistakes or just shoddy effects which did nothing but enhance the experience watching this film. 

-Nancy has brunette hair when she's normal sized, then when she becomes the 50 foot woman, she's suddenly blonde.

-Nancy's giant hand is obviously made out of paper mache, or plastic or something.  Other close up shots of the big hand also reveal that it's definitely not human skin.

-If Nancy grew into a giant, how did she fit inside her bedroom?

-The double exposure shots of the giant alien and Nancy render them transparent in some scenes.

-When she picks up Harry, his dummy stand-in is way too big.  It doesn't look right in her hand.

It's sad that the three major actors in this film all died tragically.

Alison Hayes (Nancy aka 50 Foot Woman) died at the age of 46 of either leukemia or lead poisoning.  Apparently, she had become ill and did research on her symptoms and found that she was experiencing similar issues as those who worked in factories and had been diagnosed with metal poisoning.  She was taking a calcium supplement and with the help of a doctor was able to trace high levels of lead in this pill.  Later, when she was basically an invalid, she was moved to a care facility where she was diagnosed with leukemia.  Later, she received a blood transfusion and her condition deteriorated rapidly and she died a few days before her 47th birthday.

William Hudson (aka Harry! Harry!) died at the age of 49 from cirrhosis. 

...and perhaps the most grisly story...

Yvette Vickers (Honey).  While she lived to be in her 80s, her actual date of death is unknown.  She was found dead in her home by a neighbor.  Coroners estimated that she had been dead for six months to almost a year.  A small space heater was found running next to the body and as a result of the constant heat, her body mummified.  So sad.

I also really love the old pulp fiction covers.  The aforementioned Powell's has a whole section of old pulp fiction books with hilarious covers and tag lines like-- "Twisted passions ruled her wanton body!" (Haha, I almost wrote wonton body). 

Hard Case Crime is a series of books that are either reprints or newly written ones.  They harken back to the pulp fiction crime/mystery novels. One of their hallmarks is to have new artwork for the covers which is in the 40's and 50's pulp fiction style.  One caution is that the artist may or may not have read the book, so the covers may not acurately reflect the characters in the book.  Great covers though.

HCC has a website and many are still available at Hamiltonbooks.com

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings