Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

conan o'brien intros to johnny carson clips

kaslovesTCM

I've never been a fan of these airing on the channel. Often, clips are selected with stars whose films do not air on TCM-- when was the last time we saw a Mary Tyler Moore picture; and only two Burt Reynolds ever air (because they both have Sally Field in them) and it's been awhile since we have seen those.

Today they ran one with James Stewart and he spent a few minutes talking about THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. It's been several years since that film was broadcast on TCM. So even when we have classic movie stars in the clips, they are not referencing what we actually see them do on the channel.

This is not a classic television channel, it's a classic movie channel-- and for those that like seeing Carson again, it's not a classic pop culture channel either.

I've never been a fan of these airing on the channel. Often, clips are selected with stars whose films do not air on TCM-- when was the last time we saw a Mary Tyler Moore picture; and only two Burt Reynolds ever air (because they both have Sally Field in them) and it's been awhile since we have seen those.

Today they ran one with James Stewart and he spent a few minutes talking about THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH. It's been several years since that film was broadcast on TCM. So even when we have classic movie stars in the clips, they are not referencing what we actually see them do on the channel.

This is not a classic television channel, it's a classic movie channel-- and for those that like seeing Carson again, it's not a classic pop culture channel either.

But most people who are interested in classic movies are also interested in classic TV, classic misic, and all forms of classic entertainment.

But most people who are interested in classic movies are also interested in classic TV, classic misic, and all forms of classic entertainment.

Are you talking about pop culture? TCM is not a pop culture channel. If you said these same viewers were also interested in classical music or anchovies on their pizza, would TCM have to cater to that as well?

Are you talking about pop culture? TCM is not a pop culture channel. If you said these same viewers were also interested in classical music or anchovies on their pizza, would TCM have to cater to that as well?

"Travel Talks" has nothing to do with movies either, but they are shown on TCM. Why? Because they were made in the same time period as many classic movies. I would guess that most TCM fans  are also interested in U.S. entertainment and social history, 1920-1970, which encompasses a lot of areas. I know I am.

Well I think the Carson series 'fits' the TCM brand,  but only when there is a some type of tie in between the actors being interviewed and the movies being shown.    As noted,  that wasn't the case.  

I think the Conan O'Brien intros air when they're specifically featuring their Carson on TCM segment like they did Tuesday nights back in March. Other than that, I think TCM uses the interviews as filler when there are time gaps between films. They probably cut Conan's remarks for time purposes.

Personally, I enjoy the Carson on TCM feature. It's fun and very interesting. The people they do select are in film, or people like Carol Burnett and Candice Bergen for example, are well known television stars whom the TCM audience may enjoy seeing as they were "back in the day." It's not like TCM is airing full episodes of Johnny Carson featuring people only relevant at the time of their interview.

TCM aired Mitzi Gaynor's 1974 television special a few months ago and that seems to have gone over fairly well. I don't see what the big deal is when TCM wants to fill 15 minutes with an interview from Mary Tyler Moore, for example.

If TCM is not supposed to broadcast classic tv shows than how are the Carson clips any different from the Mitzi Gaynor tv special that aired a few weeks ago (that many posters loved) except that was an hour long and the Carson clips are 15 minutes?

If TCM is not supposed to broadcast classic tv shows than how are the Carson clips any different from the Mitzi Gaynor tv special that aired a few weeks ago (that many posters loved) except that was an hour long and the Carson clips are 15 minutes?

Who said TCM couldn't broadcast classic TV shows-- certainly TCM can, and it does. But I think that if too much of it is shown, it does take us away from the M in TCM.  

The Gaynor special...the Sweeney Todd special when Angela Lansbury was SOTM...the live television kinescopes when Grace Kelly was SOTM...the Screen Directors Playhouse episodes that are in frequent rotation...the Carson clips...the Dick Cavett shows...the...the...the...oh wait a second, that's quite a bit of Turner Classic Television as opposed to Turner Classic Movies. 

Glad people like it...but this is a movie channel first and foremost...balance, or rebranding...?

Today they ran one with James Stewart and he spent a few minutes talking about THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

HEY TOM!!! Hope you missed this one!

(...as I now know how much Jimmy really freaks you out in that one) ;)

LOL

Who said TCM couldn't broadcast classic TV shows-- certainly TCM can, and it does. But I think that if too much of it is shown, it does take us away from the M in TCM.  

The Gaynor special...the Sweeney Todd special when Angela Lansbury was SOTM...the live television kinescopes when Grace Kelly was SOTM...the Screen Directors Playhouse episodes that are in frequent rotation...the Carson clips...the Dick Cavett shows...the...the...the...oh wait a second, that's quite a bit of Turner Classic Television as opposed to Turner Classic Movies. 

Glad people like it...but this is a movie channel first and foremost...balance, or rebranding...?

I assume what your saying is 'quite a bit of Turner Classic Television' is less then 1% of TCM's overall programming.

This thread is funny. Some of you are taking all of this way too seriously.

Not ME! 'Cause MY only contribution to this thread was to lightly poke fun at a certain Canadian friend of mine's "coulrophobia"!!!

BUT, I have to say I DO find it rather ironic that the OP's initial post which was more or less just an innocent question about if "Conan's TCM presence is now over", was turned by you into a "serious" statement of your dislike for these Carson interviews being shown on TCM, and that you now have stated "people are now taking this too seriously".

(...yep, ya see, SOMETIMES "sidetracking" ISN'T always done JUST by means of a humorous comment being inserted into a thread, huh!)

LOL

TCM does show television. So why downplay that, especially when the argument about how much people like it is hard to back up with data.

TCM is changing. For some who like change, that is a good thing. For others who may be insecure and do not deal with change easily, it's a bad bad very bad thing.

I feel a News thread coming on...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings