Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

**** Under The Stars

ElCid

24 hours dedicated to one star (or actor) is really too much.  TCM needs to offer variety every day. There are some actors that I just do not care for and SUTS blocks a whole day of TCM for me-maybe even several days.

BTW, wish Now Playing would state when film is in a foreign language.  For some reason, programmers  have become fascinated with French and Japanese films lately-and some German.  Never know until you watch it that it is in French with subtitles.  Would probably record more of them if knew they were in English. Jeanne Moreau is on for 24 hours, August 8th.

• Like 1

24 hours dedicated to one star (or actor) is really too much.  TCM needs to offer variety every day. There are some actors that I just do not care for and SUTS blocks a whole day of TCM for me-maybe even several days.

BTW, wish Now Playing would state when film is in a foreign language.  For some reason, programmers  have become fascinated with French and Japanese films lately-and some German.  Never know until you watch it that it is in French with subtitles.  Would probably record more of them if knew they were in English. Jeanne Moreau is on for 24 hours, August 8th.

Go to the IMDB or to wiki and you will see what the language is for any given film. Of course, it is a bit more difficult to discern if a film is made in more than one language-- like with characters speaking English and in a few other tongues.

As for SUTS 24 hour blocks-- maybe you can get caught up on your reading if there is a day devoted to a star you do not like.

It usually represents many consecutive days - sometimes weeks - of no TCM watching for me, as I've not much interest in "golden age" productions.

On the other hand, when there is someone interesting to me highlighted on a day, it gives me a chance to add some desired titles to my library that are rarely offered at other times.

So, I take the good with the not so good and wait for the best time of year - October and November.

Does the thread title begin with stars or is the auto censor at work?

I personally enjoy SUTS. I scope out who is featured on each day and the associated films and set them up on the DVR. If that day doesn't interest me, then I don't record anything. No big deal to me. It's not like I have a lack of things to watch and do. Usually SUTS is good for having a handful of people I enjoy and oftentimes on days featuring people that I'm meh about, a movie will be scheduled featuring the "meh person " and someone I do like, so it works for me. I don't watch the channel 24/7, so during SUTS time, I do what I do every month. See what's scheduled, circle what I want to watch and record it on the DVR. Watch at my leisure.

The Yellow Rolls-Royce and The Great Catherine are in English, the others are in French.  If you're ever in doubt, check the IMDB and it'll tell you.

As for subtitles or dubbing, you'll be wise to assume that almost every foreign language film TCM shows will be subtitled, including all the ones coming up in August for Jeanne Moreau.

The Yellow Rolls-Royce and The Great Catherine are in English, the others are in French.  If you're ever in doubt, check the IMDB and it'll tell you.

Thanks,  will try to check IMDB if ever that interested in one.  However, I seldom go to IMDB.  Actually hadn't planned to watch Moreau anyway.

It was a lot funnier when I thought it was the F word.

Me too. It's almost disappointing that it wasn't intentional. I thought "wow. They really hate SUTS!"

Yeah, even though I like the Summer Under the Stars I liked what I thought was the boldness of the post.

I wasn't sure if they meant to say "S**t Under The Stars" or F**k Under The Stars."  

TheCid said: 24 hours dedicated to one star (or actor) is really too much.  TCM needs to offer variety every day. There are some actors that I just do not care for and SUTS blocks a whole day of TCM for me-maybe even several days.

Really? You simply cannot DO SOMETHING ELSE for a day (or two) if there's nothing interesting to you on TV?

Doesn't TCM show "variety" all the rest of the time? 

Just because you're not enamored with one actor, you can't find anything else to like about a movie?

How limiting.

And you're not the only viewer....there are millions of other people who fully enjoy the programming-let them have their fun.

It's summer after all (well not in Australia) take a break from TV & enjoy life!

TheCid said: 24 hours dedicated to one star (or actor) is really too much.  TCM needs to offer variety every day. There are some actors that I just do not care for and SUTS blocks a whole day of TCM for me-maybe even several days.

Really? You simply cannot DO SOMETHING ELSE for a day (or two) if there's nothing interesting to you on TV?

Doesn't TCM show "variety" all the rest of the time?

Not only that, but except for a relatively small number of one note actors who seldom get SUTS days to begin with, there's usually a fair amount of "variety" within each 24 hour tribute.  All TheCid is complaining about is that on some of those days the featured actor/actress is someone he either doesn't like or doesn't get, very likely the latter.

And you're not the only viewer....there are millions of other people who fully enjoy the programming-let them have their fun.

Exactly. In any given SUTS year, there are at most 3 or 4 days I really get fired up about*, another dozen or so that are filled  with movies I like but have seen plenty of times already, and the rest of days feature actors who star mainly in genres I don't like (Westerns, musicals, costume dramas, "family" movies, etc.).

But guess what?  On those days, there are a zillion other things to do.  Seriously, the sense of entitlement on the part of some people here is simply amazing.

*This year it's Jeanne Moreau, Lee Tracy and Edmond O' Brien.  There are many other great choices, but almost no films within those days that are "new" to me.

Yeah, even though I like the Summer Under the Stars I liked what I thought was the boldness of the post.

I wasn't sure if they meant to say "S**t Under The Stars" or F**k Under The Stars."  

Wouldn't even try the F or S words (though they fit better).  Word I tried has three letters, starts with S and ends with X.  Substitute for five letter word beginning with S and ending with S that sort of fit in with ....Under the Stars.

Thinking of this, does SUTS mean TCM thinks viewers want to be "under" the Star of the Day?  Interesting images.

Regardless, I really dislike SUTS.  Hate is too strong of a word.

Just trying to suggest that 24 hours of one person is really counter to TCM's goal of showing the vast variety of "classic" movies and hopefully introducing people to the wide range out there.

• Like 1

Wouldn't even try the F or S words (though they fit better).  Word I tried has three letters, starts with S and ends with X.  Substitute for five letter word beginning with S and ending with S that sort of fit in with ....Under the Stars.

Thinking of this, does SUTS mean TCM thinks viewers want to be "under" the Star of the Day?  Interesting images.

Regardless, I really dislike SUTS.  Hate is too strong of a word.

Just trying to suggest that 24 hours of one person is really counter to TCM's goal of showing the vast variety of "classic" movies and hopefully introducing people to the wide range out there.

I don't know if theme programming like SUTS really limits variety.     Most actors have a variety of movies;  e.g.  they worked at multiple studioes,  in multiple genres,  with different leading actors and supporting players,  with different directors,  etc....  

Of course non creative programming could result in a lack of variety but that isn't the direct result of theme based programming like SUTS.      Also,  SUTS features a lot of 'second level' stars,   and this tends to provide even more variety.

I don't know if theme programming like SUTS really limits variety.     Most actors have a variety of movies;  e.g.  they worked at multiple studioes,  in multiple genres,  with different leading actors and supporting players,  with different directors,  etc....  

Of course non creative programming could result in a lack of variety but that isn't the direct result of theme based programming like SUTS.      Also,  SUTS features a lot of 'second level' stars,   and this tends to provide even more variety.

I agree.  If a SUTS star appeared in a variety of genres, like Barbara Stanwyck for example, I notice that TCM tends to schedule a couple from each different genre and includes a few films of that star's that hasn't been aired recently.  I always find a bunch of stars every year whom I'm excited to see a SUTS day for.  Even stars, like Gene Kelly, who I own copies of most of their films (at least all the ones I like), I still am excited and know that when I get home from work that day, I can relax and watch The Pirate or whatever. 

This month there is a SUTS day dedicated to Herbert Marshall, who I've probably seen in films, but didn't know his name and probably couldn't identify him on sight.  However, they're airing The Little Foxes with Bette Davis, who I love and I've never seen this film, so I'm planning on DVR-ing it.

SUTS always features a good variety of people and they tend to air other movies other than "the usual suspects" during that star's tribute, or they'll throw in a few of the roles that a star is known for in between some of their lesser known films.  I imagine that TCM uses SUTS as a means to bring in new viewers by including well known stars like Cary Grant for example.  Someone might see that TCM is airing Arsenic and Old Lace for example, remember how much they loved it and make a point to watch.  They might see that another of his hits North By Northwest is the movie after the one scheduled between 'Arsenic' and NBNW.  The movie in the middle might be lesser known, but a viewer may stick around so that he/she can see NBNW

Just a theory.

I agree.  If a SUTS star appeared in a variety of genres, like Barbara Stanwyck for example, I notice that TCM tends to schedule a couple from each different genre and includes a few films of that star's that hasn't been aired recently.  I always find a bunch of stars every year whom I'm excited to see a SUTS day for.  Even stars, like Gene Kelly, who I own copies of most of their films (at least all the ones I like), I still am excited and know that when I get home from work that day, I can relax and watch The Pirate or whatever. 

This month there is a SUTS day dedicated to Herbert Marshall, who I've probably seen in films, but didn't know his name and probably couldn't identify him on sight.  However, they're airing The Little Foxes with Bette Davis, who I love and I've never seen this film, so I'm planning on DVR-ing it.

SUTS always features a good variety of people and they tend to air other movies other than "the usual suspects" during that star's tribute, or they'll throw in a few of the roles that a star is known for in between some of their lesser known films.  I imagine that TCM uses SUTS as a means to bring in new viewers by including well known stars like Cary Grant for example.  Someone might see that TCM is airing Arsenic and Old Lace for example, remember how much they loved it and make a point to watch.  They might see that another of his hits North By Northwest is the movie after the one scheduled between 'Arsenic' and NBNW.  The movie in the middle might be lesser known, but a viewer may stick around so that he/she can see NBNW

Just a theory.

Marshall also plays Bette's husband in The Letter.    I like this film even more than The Little Foxes.   So if you haven't seen The Letter,   make sure you check it out the next time TCM shows it. 

Marshall also plays Bette's husband in The Letter.    I like this film even more than The Little Foxes.   So if you haven't seen The Letter,   make sure you check it out the next time TCM shows it. 

I think I started watching The Letter one day (one of the rare times I watched TCM live) but ended up getting distracted with the internet or something, so while I watched it, I didn't really watch it.  I'll need to record it next time it's on and actually pay attention. It seemed like it had the usual strong Bette Davis performance, so I'm looking forward to watching it.

Wasn't this remade later in the 50s? I think Bette's movie may have been a remake of a film from the 30s?

I think I started watching The Letter one day (one of the rare times I watched TCM live) but ended up getting distracted with the internet or something, so while I watched it, I didn't really watch it.  I'll need to record it next time it's on and actually pay attention. It seemed like it had the usual strong Bette Davis performance, so I'm looking forward to watching it.

Wasn't this remade later in the 50s? I think Bette's movie may have been a remake of a film from the 30s?

Yes,   the Bette's version was a remake.   The first version was released in 1929 and stared Jeanne Eagels,  as well as Marshall  (but he was the lover in the movie instead of the husband).

There is a 2012 movie called The Letter that stared Winona Ryder but it is based on a different story.   

The John Litel thread gave me this thought.

If TCM has to have Summer Under the Stars, what about skipping the big names for a year and recognize the lesser known actors?  John Litel and Marie Windsor quickly come to mind.

While never the "stars," this category of actors made a tremendous contribution to making the movies great entertainment.

At the minimum, TCM could skip over any actors that have been featured in SUTS or Star of the Month.  Expose the public to the lesser known, but often as good as actors.