Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Seinfeld

darkblue

It was exactly 25 years ago today that Jerry Seinfeld's show first aired. According to the QMI Agency, these are the top 10 best episodes - current ranking determined by votes from readers.

#10  The Yada Yada

# 9   The Puffy Shirt

# 8   The Junior Mint

# 7   The Jimmy

# 6   The Opposite

# 5   The Hamptons

# 4   The Marine Biologist

# 3   The Merv Griffin Show

# 2   The Soup Nazi

and the # 1 best episode ....... The Contest

Of course, not everyone agrees that these 10 should be on the list and so there is a category for "Other". Without naming what the "other" is, votes currently place it in the #6 position - ahead of 'The Opposite' (and presumably knocking 'The Yada Yada' off the list).

So, how do you feel about the list - and what show do you feel should be there that isn't?

It was exactly 25 years ago today that Jerry Seinfeld's show first aired. According to the QMI Agency, these are the top 10 best episodes - current ranking determined by votes from readers.

#10  The Yada Yada

# 9   The Puffy Shirt

# 8   The Junior Mint

# 7   The Jimmy

# 6   The Opposite

# 5   The Hamptons

# 4   The Marine Biologist

# 3   The Merv Griffin Show

# 2   The Soup Nazi

and the # 1 best episode ....... The Contest

Of course, not everyone agrees that these 10 should be on the list and so there is a category for "Other". Without naming what the "other" is, votes currently place it in the # 6 position - ahead of 'The Opposite' (and presumably knocking 'The Yada Yada' off the list).

So, how do you feel about the list - and what show do you feel should be there that isn't?

I think "The Puffy Shirt" was the #1 episode. I think the #2 episode was the one with the cigar store Indian, the gyros at the el stop, and the TV guides. What was the title of that episode?

Ranking Seinfeld episodes is almost impossible, because they're all so good, but how could anyone leave out "The Little Kicks", "The Face Painter", "The Cadillac" (with Marisa Tomei), or "The Subway"?  Or "The Cashmere Sweater"?

Let's face it, it's a lot easier to rank James Dean movies than Seinfeld episodes.

• Like 1

Seinfeld - hands down, one of the funniest shows ever. Never fails to make me laugh. Even when I randomly catch a re-run, switching channels with no plans to watch it, I have to stop and spend a little time with Jerry and co. And I always laugh. Great show.

Hard to pick a "favourite", since they were all so good. But two of the funniest, to me, are "The Susie" (season 8), and "The Keys" (season 3.)

Actually the last couple of seasons, I like just a little less than the earlier ones. Despite this, "The Susie" never fails to have me practically falling on the floor laughing. 

I love the pseudo-funeral at the end, where Mr. Peterman (stroke of genius, casting that guy) makes a speech about how, while working late one night, he and Susie "surrendered to temptation". And right after that, MIke the bookie bursts in and announces that Susie was murdered - by Jerry, who smilingly admits that he broke Mike's thumbs !

The other one that comes to mind is at the opposite end of the Seinfeld chronology, I think it's season 3, "The Keys". 

Two quintessential Seinfeld scenes from it: The conversation about "yearning" between Kramer and George. The two of them are sitting in that diner they always hang out in, and Kramer asks George if he ever "yearns". God, it's too funny to see how uncomfortable Georgie is with the way Kramer discusses how he "yearns". 

The other part I love (well, I love the whole episode, I love the whole show...) is when Kramer, due to his "yearning", has taken off (for California, as it turns out). Jerry and George don't know what's happened to him, and they corner Newman in the apartment corridor and "rough him up", demanding to know where Kramer's gone.

Damn, if you know film noir, it's extra funny, because it's exactly like an old noir movie. The dialogue is perfect. 

Mini- "noir" scenes crop up every now and then in Seinfeld. Some of the writers must have been old movie fans. 

God, it was a funny, smart show. Thanks for starting this thread, db.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2014 at 12:36 PM, misswonderlytoo said:

Mini- "noir" scenes crop up every now and then in Seinfeld. Some of the writers must have been old movie fans. 

Yep. I love the way low-angle camera work is used while Frank Costanza relates his tormented memories of a dinner he once cooked in the Korean War.

I know it is ridiculously hard to pick a favorite out of a show that gave us 100 nominees to choose from. Still, it's fun to remember them while trying.

This is classic film related but I love the episode where George is in his current girlfriend's book club and they have to read Breakfast at Tiffany's. George tries to read it but can't, and ends up going to the video store to rent the movie, only to find out that the movie is rented somewhere else. He glances over the counter to see where the movie ended up- goes to the renter's house, invites himself in, they watch the movie. The mother comes home, and George tries to silence her, the teenager who wanted to watch the film in the first place sits in "his spot," and ends up getting a pop stain on the couch. It's so funny how unabashedly rude he is acting. 

• Like 1

Ranking Seinfeld episodes is almost impossible, because they're all so good, but how could anyone leave out "The Little Kicks", "The Face Painter", "The Cadillac" (with Marisa Tomei), or "The Subway"?  Or "The Cashmere Sweater"?

Let's face it, it's a lot easier to rank James Dean movies than Seinfeld episodes.

Andy, I have to laugh about THE CADILLAC episode. Years before THE CADILLAC episode aired, my parents had moved to a condo situation in Boca Raton. My sister bought my parents a Brand New Cadillac as a gift. The commotion at their complex by neighbors was similiar LOL- for years my whole family talked and laughed at that hilarious and TRUE episode. Impossible for me to list all my favorites, there are so many. Brilliant idea for a tv show, brilliant comedic acting, one of the funniest shows to ever be on TV. Elaines dancing at her office party, THE PUFFY Shirt, the Lawrence Tierney episode with Jerry's jacket, Elaine's photo that was faxed to every doctor so she would be banned, THE DOLL that looked exactly like George's mother, George's shrinkage problem, and the ugly baby and getting back at the girl who was kosher when George gave the girl eggs filled with lobster, THE BUBBLE BOY.

It would be a lot easier and a much shorter list to name the least favorite episodes :)

This is classic film related but I love the episode where George is in his current girlfriend's book club and they have to read Breakfast at Tiffany's. George tries to read it but can't, and ends up going to the video store to rent the movie, only to find out that the movie is rented somewhere else. He glances over the counter to see where the movie ended up- goes to the renter's house, invites himself in, they watch the movie. The mother comes home, and George tries to silence her, the teenager who wanted to watch the film in the first place sits in "his spot," and ends up getting a pop stain on the couch. It's so funny how unabashedly rude he is acting.

Well, that's the essence of George!  We all love him, don't we?

Of course you left out the best part at the end, where George is in the book discussion group and says that "George Peppard" is attracted to Holly, without realizing that in the Breakfast at Tiffany's book that he was supposed to have read, the Peppard character is gay!

And speaking of stains, who can possibly forget those priceless episodes involving Poppie, and especially the one where Jerry asks him what he thinks about abortion?  Poppie's ensuing rant about his mother and "the Communistas" may be the best monologue in the history of the entire series.  I crack up every time I even think about it.

• Like 1

Still funny after all these years. I still go through the series once a year and I still laugh. Possibly the best cast in a TV comedy (GOLDEN GIRLS comes close).... Yes THE CONTEST but also segments that included kidnapping the dog, the shrinkage, the marble rye, serenity now, and of course FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US!!

A pity Jerry Senfield and Jason Alexander never won Emmy awards for their perfest comedy inventions......

• Like 1

On 7/5/2014 at 1:21 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

It would be a lot easier and a much shorter list to name the least favorite episodes :)

It's easy for me to pick the worst episode. It's the pilot - the one that got another 6 episodes ordered by the network for an experimental run. Michael Richards is a weirdo who never leaves the building and Julia isn't in the cast.

I'm probably influenced here due to my many years working in the airline industry, but I'll suggest the episode "The Airport" be included somewhere in this "Top Ten List".

Yep, that's the episode where after a cancelled flight back to NYC, Jerry and Elaine get re-booked on a later flight, and with Jerry getting upgraded to first class and having the best flight experience of his life(and with his seat mate being a supermodel), but with Elaine getting a stuck in coach and having the absolute WORST flight of her life and being stuck next to a rather "large" and boorish guy spilling over into her seat.

(...I mean, I think we've all been THERE sometime in our lives, haven't we?!)

Good one, Dargo. There are plenty of episodes I'd nominate ahead of 'The Yada Yada' for inclusion on a top 10 list.

For example, 'The Apology', wherein George insists that James Spader owes him an apology before he can complete the 12 Step Program. Spader is great in that.

• Like 1

Good one, Dargo. There are plenty of episodes I'd nominate ahead of 'The Yada Yada' for inclusion on a top 10 list.

For example, 'The Apology', wherein George insists that James Spader owes him an apology before he can complete the 12 Step Program. Spader is great in that.

dark, which episode is the one where Elaine's current boyfriend thinks of The Eagles' "Desperado" as "his song" and always becomes misty-eyed and gets a far-away look to him whenever he hears it on the radio. And so Elaine wanting "a song of her own" too, decides that it'll be "Witchy Woman"???

(...I've always liked that episode too)

Larry David as George Steinbrenner with his back always to the audience, those episodes with George are also a riot. Larry David's CURB YOUR ENTHUSIAM was just as brilliant as STEINFELD. A comic genius. One of the episodes of Curb references THE CONTEST episode, it's a riot.

Dargo, the episode you asked about I think it's called THE CHECKS

On 7/5/2014 at 2:56 PM, Dargo said:

dark, which episode is the one where Elaine's current boyfriend thinks of The Eagles' "Desperado" as "his song" and always becomes misty-eyed and gets a far-away look to him whenever he hears it on the radio. And so Elaine wanting "a song of her own" too, decides that it'll be "Witchy Woman"???

(...I've always liked that episode too)

That was 'The Checks'. It's also the one where Kramer has Japanese businessmen sleeping in drawers! There was always several things happening in each episode and, more often than not, each would ironically dovetail together at some point.

I love the ending - "Doctor, we're losing him! Doctor!" as 'Witchy Woman' plays on the radio.

On 7/5/2014 at 3:12 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Larry David as George Steinbrenner with his back always to the audience, those episodes with George are also a riot. Larry David's CURB YOUR ENTHUSIAM was just as brilliant as STEINFELD. A comic genius. One of the episodes of Curb references THE CONTEST episode, it's a riot.

Dargo, the episode you asked about I think it's called THE CHECKS

I was answering Dargo about 'The Checks' before I'd realized you'd done so. I had to look it up, though.

I agree completely about the genius of Larry David. The success of 'Curb' is due to the same premise as that of 'Seinfeld' - the formula is: misunderstanding + irony + the natural argumentativeness of Larry himself (upon whom the George character is based) - over and over again.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of Seinfeld, or of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  I was having lunch a few yeas ago at the Trattoria dell'Arte, across from Carnegie Hall. Jerry Seinfeld was at the next table. One of my lunch partners was going to ask for his autograph. I told him, "you do that, I'm leaving." Fortunately he didn't do it, as I was enjoying my lunch. I've got nothing against the man -- just hated that show.

I've never been a fan of Seinfeld, or of Curb Your Enthusiasm.  I was having lunch a few yeas ago at the Trattoria dell'Arte, across from Carnegie Hall. Jerry Seinfeld was at the next table. One of my lunch partners was going to ask for his autograph. I told him, "you do that, I'm leaving." Fortunately he didn't do it, as I was enjoying my lunch. I've got nothing against the man -- just hated that show.

Certainly your prerogative here, Swithin. But you DO realize that almost every Seinfeld episode was actually a little "morality play", doncha?

Yep, because all the characters' little foibles would eventually come back to haunt them in some manner.

(...and thus of course, making that old idea that this program was "about nothing" a great misnomer) 

Hard to think it's been a quarter of a century!  For me it was the funniest, smartest, most imaginative show on TV, with the ideal cast.  I always think I'll skip yet another rerun, but somehow find myself watching, again and again.

Some of my favorites:

The Stranded ("Maybe the dingo ate your baby?")

The Chinese Restaurant

The Parking Garage

The Bubble Boy 

The Virgin

The Bris (the actor who played the moyle or moil? was hilarious)

The Baby Shower

And the one in the hospital where Kramer sees the "pig-man"

It was especially clever how the stories of each of the four characters would often beautifully tie up at the end.  Brilliant.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2014 at 12:25 PM, AndyM108 said:

it's a lot easier to rank James Dean movies than Seinfeld episodes.

Very true - and interesting that you should mention James Dean here. I heard somewhere that Liz Sheridan (who plays Jerry's mom) once had a romantic fling with Dean.

Of course, like many here, I love "The Contest" episode.  They set the challenge at the café, so back to Jerry's apartment and Kramer spots the hot girl across the street.  He leaves the apartment and returns a few minutes later with $100 (or whatever it was) and goes "I'm out!"  Hilarious.  I think in the same episode George's mom walks in on him with the Glamour magazine and ends up in the hospital due to shock. 

I love the episode where Kramer decides that he since he loves showers so much that he's going to live in his shower.  I believe he even installs a garbage disposal. 

The one with George's hilarious answering machine message.  Believe it or not, I'm not home, so please leave a message after the beep.  I must be out or I'd pick up the phone... where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not home!

The Summer of George

The Shrinkage episode- I don't know how you guys walk around with those things! I think this is also the ugly baby episode.  Elaine! You gotta see the bay-bee!

The one where Newman and Kramer decide to use Newman's mail truck to go to Michigan to redeem their cans because you can get .10 a can instead of .05. 

When Kramer gets a new phone number that is like one digit off of the Mr. Moviefone phone number and keeps getting a bunch of wrong numbers.  Why don't you just tell me what movie you want to see?

The one where George is the hand model

One of my least favorites is the last episode. 

One of my least favorite storylines is the whole thing between George and Susan.  She dies after ingesting the cheap glue on the wedding invitations that George insisted on buying and then George doesn't even care.  He's almost happy because he didn't want to marry her anyway.  He tries to get Marisa Tomei to come as his date to the funeral and she hangs up on him. 

• Like 1

Certainly your prerogative here, Swithin. But you DO realize that almost every Seinfeld episode was actually a little "morality play", doncha?

Yep, because all the characters' little foibles would eventually come back to haunt them in some manner.

(...and thus of course, making that old idea that this program was "about nothing" a great misnomer) 

Hey Dargo, I've got a degree in Theology and work in the theater, so I know a fair amount about "morality plays!" As a native New Yorker, I've often thought "Seinfeld" provided a New York milieu for non-New Yorkers, and I felt some of it was really stupid.