Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name of ruthless Asian Empress/Boss film ?

This movie was a month or so ago and I caught it towards the end and I can't remember the name of it?

It was centered around this (white) woman as an Asian empress (she was highly respected) or maybe just a crime boss but she was dressed in traditional Kimonos, hair, makeup, and supposedly taken place in China maybe?

The part I caught was when she was arguing with a man possibly ex-beau and he told her she had a daughter and the Empress claimed he was lying then he shot back with a witty retort. Her daughter was this clumsy blonde girl she kept around (maybe as maids?) with like two other girls and she ended up killing her (shot her maybe?) when she found out.

That's all I recall.

try The Shanghai Gesture (1941) w/Walter Huston

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shanghai_Gesture

The Shanghai Gesture is a good guess only if the original poster confused multiple parts of the plot.

I assume the 'this (white) women'  comment relates to the actress playing the part and NOT the actual character (since the actual character was Chinese).      The so called clumsy blonde girl wasn't her daughter but instead an employee (I assume the blonde gal that Omar meets at the start of the picture.

Of course the actual daughter was played by Gene Tierney and she is anything but clumsy!   (and she is the one shot at the end).

• Like 1

I like The Shanghai Gesture a lot. It's a crazy film, maybe not highly regarded by some, but fascinating and entertaining, with that great Josef Von Sternberg touch. Madame Gin Sling is one of the great characters, and Eric Blore gives his most bizarre performance, ever!

I like The Shanghai Gesture a lot. It's a crazy film, maybe not highly regarded by some, but fascinating and entertaining, with that great Josef Von Sternberg touch. Madame Gin Sling is one of the great characters, and Eric Blore gives his most bizarre performance, ever!

I also enjoy The Shanghai Gesture.    Love Eric Blore in a very different role for him.   But while Gene Tierney is great to look at (really great),    her acting was weak.     I find the scene when she goes to Omar apartment looking for the blonde to be very camp.   She crys and whines but it looks so phony.     I always wonder how many takes that scene took and if the director just gave up and said 'ok, we'll have to use that!'.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings