Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weakest 4th of July Box Office Take in a Decade.

hamradio

Learned this from Fox 5 New York but here is a separate article.

http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/weakest-july-4-us-box-office-results-in-decade-6020538

I am not a bit surprised. Movies are getting dumber ("Tammy") and lamer.  :unsure:

I thought your opinion about recent movies was too broad since I thought the recent movie titled "How to Train Your Dragon 2" was very mature and strong after having seen it at a local movie theater this past Saturday.

I thought your opinion about recent movies was too broad since I thought the recent movie titled "How to Train Your Dragon 2" was very mature and strong after having seen it at a local movie theater this past Saturday.

So far I have only recorded 1 movie out of all of 2014 so far and its "Pompeii".  Haven't seen anything else that interest me. DVD machine won't be using the record mode anytime soon.  I had to give up Starz/Encore because they show nothing interesting and its constant reruns.  TCM and Youtube gives me something of value mostly stuff I've never seen before or haven't seen in a l-o-n-g time.

Regarding television programming "The Worlds Wars" have been the best this year.  I was hoping the new WGN series "Salem" would end the boredom and thought it was based on historical fact - instead witchcraft nonsense.

I also think that the holiday weekend weather, on most of the east coast, was spectacularly beautiful, and many people just decided to be outside.  I would assume the east coast accounts for an enormous portion of the box-office.

Rank is right.. check out this list of "so fars" for 2014:

It's nauseating to compare this with similar listings from the late 30s to early 40s

More nauseating that Lego blocks are called characters.svomit_100-122.gif?w=49&h=33

The only thing left for me are theatre style recliners for a nice snooze.

Zzzzzz....zzzzz...zzzzz

36517057001_2435280013001_video-still-fo

• Like 1

"The Lego Movie" was actually really good.  The "blocks" were fleshed out characters and the film had a compelling storyline.  There were also many morals depicted-- the biggest one showing that everyone is special.  I know it sounds corny, but the film was very enjoyable and funny.  I guess it depends how much you like animation.

More nauseating that Lego blocks are called characters.svomit_100-122.gif?w=49&h=33

The only thing left for me are theatre style recliners for a nice snooze.

Zzzzzz....zzzzz...zzzzz

"The Lego Movie" was actually really good.  The "blocks" were fleshed out characters and the film had a compelling storyline.  There were also many morals depicted-- the biggest one showing that everyone is special.  I know it sounds corny, but the film was very enjoyable and funny.  I guess it depends how much you like animation.

I have nothing against CGI but my list from all of them ever made is small.  I'm more use to the old cell animation.

My CGI animation list

"Caspers Haunted Christmas" (2000)

"Chicken Little" (2005)

"Despicable Me" (2010)   haven't seen the sequel yet.

"Finding Nemo" (2003)

"Gnomeo and Juliet" (2011)

"Horton Hears A Who!" (2008)

"The Incredibles" (2004)

"Monsters Inc." (2001)

"Monster House" (2006)

"Planet 51" (2009)

"Polar Express" (2004)  but hate the locomotive roller coaster scene - almost ruined it!

"Tangled" (2010)

"WALL E" (2008)

There is a "Peanuts" CGI expected release in 2015, I'm wondering about that one. Good grief, in 3D.

peanuts-cgi.png

I have nothing against CGI but my list from all of them ever made is small.  I'm more use to the old cell animation.

My CGI animation list

"Caspers Haunted Christmas" (2000)

"Chicken Little" (2005)

"Despicable Me" (2010)   haven't seen the sequel yet.

"Finding Nemo" (2003)

"Gnomeo and Juliet" (2011)

"Horton Hears A Who!" (2008)

"The Incredibles" (2004)

"Monsters Inc." (2001)

"Monster House" (2006)

"Planet 51" (2009)

"Polar Express" (2004)  but hate the locomotive roller coaster scene - almost ruined it!

"Tangled" (2010)

"WALL E" (2008)

There is a "Peanuts" CGI expected release in 2015, I'm wondering about that one. Good grief!

I really loved all the Pixar films and the latest Disney CGI releases like "Tangled" and "Frozen" were excellent as well. 

My favorite Pixar film is probably "Up," followed by "Wall-E," and then "A Bug's Life."  But they're all fun.  Another CGI film I really enjoyed was "Wreck-It Ralph." 

I saw "Polar Express" too.  It was okay; but I can't say it's one of my go-to Christmas movies.  However, I saw it in an Omnimax theater at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI), so I spent a lot of the movie feeling like I was looking up the little kid's nose.  Maybe this has clouded my perception of it somewhat.

Re: Peanuts.  I don't know if I can handle a CGI Charlie Brown.  I'm used to the animation in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!" However, if the story is good and the voice acting is accurate, I may give it a shot.  I've been told by multiple people that if I were a Peanut character I'd be Lucy.  Apparently, I have her personality, which I don't know if that's a compliment or an insult. 

I had to give up Starz/Encore because they show nothing interesting and its constant reruns.  

We had of recent a free four-day access to Showtime as their annual campaign to entice new viewers. I searched through the schedules of all of those channels and found one only movie which I might wish to watch. My enthusiasm for it was so low that I forgot to watch it. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, all of the really 'serious' movies are now being released in the November-December time frame to maximize their Oscar potential.  Most of these movies then come out on DVD/BluRay by April - June (and several months later on cable) and then you have to wait for the end of the year for the cycle to repeat.  From Kid_Dabb's list you can see that the summer months have become the exclusive domain of the comic-book / action / horror / YA fantasy domains.  There will always be the occasional exception (such as the Woody Allen movie that ObrienMunday mentioned), but in general we have to wait til September for good dramas to appear.  Lately this trend is being taken to even more ridiculous extremes, with several Oscar-worthy movies being released in the last week (or even last day) of December.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by Edge of Tomorrow. But yeah, each year it gets tougher to find anything for grownups to go to during summer blockbuster season.

I guess, at 30, I must not be as grown up as I think I am, since the last movies I've seen were a cartoon, Disney and a superhero movie.  I've seen three excellent movies this year: The Lego Movie, Maleficent, and X-Men: Days of Future Past.  Two of them could probably been seen as children's movies and one was probably marketed toward teenagers and 20-somethings (although I was still in my 20s when I saw all three films I mentioned).  How to Train Your Dragon 2 also looked really good; but I haven't seen it yet. 

I'm not sure what constitutes a "grown up" film... but if it doesn't include animation, Disney or superheroes, then I want no part of being "a grown up" ! My husband's and my first date (in 2004) was to see The SpongeBob Square Pants Movie if that's any insight into my "grownupness."

• Like 1