Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are Paul Newman movies classics?

MovieMadness

While I don't know what a classic movie or classic actor is,     Paul Newman is a studio-era and Production Code era actor.   Of course he also was featured in movies made after these eras ended.

Newman is a fine actor and I'm glad TCM broadcast movies that feature him.

While I don't know what a classic movie or classic actor is,     Paul Newman is a studio-era and Production Code era actor.   Of course he also was featured in movies made after these eras ended.

Newman is a fine actor and I'm glad TCM broadcast movies that feature him.

I am quite fond of Sometimes a great notion.

nice waterfront property. :)

fmt66q.jpg

I see a Paul Newman movie The Prize is coming up, and since this is a classic movie channel wondered what people thought of him and if he is acceptable to viewers as a classic actor.

I'm not quite sure why this question is even being asked. "Acceptable to viewers" ??

Like almost all actors from any era, "classic" (whatever exactly that means) or otherwise, Paul Newman was in some great movies, some bad ones, and several that fall between.

It wouldn't even occur to me to ponder such a matter.

"That said", two of my favourite Newman films are at opposite chronological ends: Hud (1963), and Nobody's Fool (1994).

(Oh, and also Cool Hand Luke and The Long Hot Summer. Actually, I like quite a few of his movies. I'm not crazy about his arguably most popular film, though, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.)

• Like 1

While there are some Paul Newman films that I really like, some I really don't care for, and the rest fall in that vast middle area, there is no denying that he was a terrific actor who always brought a strong presence to his work.  And he had a very successful (box office) career as well. So that would seem to satisfy most definitions of "classic".

• Like 1

I see a Paul Newman movie The Prize is coming up, and since this is a classic movie channel wondered what people thought of him and if he is acceptable to viewers as a classic actor.

While I think Newman was a fine actor, there aren't too many of his films that I really like. THE STING, THE VERDICT,and THE RACK come to mind. Maybe his movie titles have to be THE ___________for me to like them.

The other day I ran into an acquaintance and mentioned the death of Eli Wallach.  "At least we still have Paul Newman" he replied.  I broke it to him gently.

Cool Hand LukeRally 'Round the Flag, Boys, and Sweet Bird of Youth are my favorites.  

I'm not quite sure why this question is even being asked. "Acceptable to viewers" ??

Like almost all actors from any era, "classic" (whatever exactly that means) or otherwise, Paul Newman was in some great movies, some bad ones, and several that fall between.

It wouldn't even occur to me to ponder such a matter.

"That said", two of my favourite Newman films are at opposite chronological ends: Hud (1963), and Nobody's Fool (1994).

(Oh, and also Cool Hand Luke and The Long Hot Summer. Actually, I like quite a few of his movies. I'm not crazy about his arguably most popular film, though, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.)

I also found the use of 'acceptable' strange.   This is why I mentioned the Studio and Production code era.    To some users at this forum movies made after the end of the Production code are NOT acceptable for broadcast by TCM, by definition.  

Since Newman was in a lot of post-Production code movies,   he might not be "acceptable" as it relates to how these users view TCM's brand. 

• Like 1

While I think Newman was a fine actor, there aren't too many of his films that I really like. THE STING, THE VERDICT,and THE RACK come to mind. Maybe his movie titles have to be THE ___________for me to like them.

Ummmm...well...I suppose that THAT would all depend upon how you feel about movies with the words "Silver" and "Chalice" in the title too, wouldn't it finance?! ;)

(...'cause word is Paul himself was never all that crazy about a certain movie who's title began with the word "The" that he was in, anyway)

I also found the use of 'acceptable' strange.   This is why I mentioned the Studio and Production code era.    To some users at this forum movies made after the end of the Production code are NOT acceptable for broadcast by TCM, by definition.  

Since Newman was in a lot of post-Production code movies,   he might not be "acceptable" as it relates to how these users view TCM's brand. 

Well, I find their lack of acceptance unacceptable.  :mellow:

• Like 2

The only Newman movies I really love are The Young Philadelphians, The Sting, and my favorite, Absence of Malice, but he always gave us his best shot and he's certainly among the top actors of his generation.  The only performance of his I find overrated is his Fast Eddie character in The Hustler, but that's largely because in that movie he handled a cue stick like someone who'd never picked up a cue before in his life, not because of his portrayal of Fast Eddie's character.

(And OTOH compared to Tom Cruise's pathetic cue artistry in The Color of Money, Newman looked like Efren Reyes by comparison, so I guess it's all relative.)

The only Newman movies I really love are The Young Philadelphians, The Sting, and my favorite, Absence of Malice, but he always gave us his best shot and he's certainly among the top actors of his generation.  The only performance of his I find overrated is his Fast Eddie character in The Hustler, but that's largely because in that movie he handled a cue stick like someone who'd never picked up a cue before in his life, not because of his portrayal of Fast Eddie's character.

(And OTOH compared to Tom Cruise's pathetic cue artistry in The Color of Money, Newman looked like Efren Reyes by comparison, so I guess it's all relative.)

Well, if I recall correctly Andy, besides being a very knowledgeable movie fan, you're ALSO quite into our "National Pastime".

(...and so after readin' your thoughts about Messrs Newman and Cruise lack of prowess with a cue stick, I can JUST imagine what you might think of Tony Perkins' on-field performance as Jimmy Piersall in ANOTHER sports related film!!!) LOL

;)

Well, if I recall correctly Andy, besides being a very knowledgeable movie fan, you're ALSO quite into our "National Pastime".

I can JUST imagine what you might think of Tony Perkins' on-field performance as Jimmy Piersall in ANOTHER sports related film!!!) LOL

Tab Hunter portrayed Piersall in a TV play.

I wish I could post what Piersall once said about Perkins and Hunter on the David Letterman Show... But it would never get past the autocensor.

I have a certain fondness for Newman, as he appeared in one of my all time favorite films -- Hud.

He was not a great actor, but he had an impressive run in the '60s, with the classics Hustler, Hud, Hombre, Cool Hand Luke, and the crowd-pleasing Butch Cassidy. He seemed to lose his way in the '70s however.

A curious thing about Newman: at the height of his career in 1968, when he was possibly the biggest movie star in the world, he chose to make The Secret War Of Harry Frigg, essentially a padded Hogan's Heroes episode.

If a college-oriented forum I go to is any indication, Butch Cassidy as Newman's signature role is apparently being replaced among younger people by Cool Hand Luke.

He's definitely acceptable to me.  Hubba Hubba!

Anyway, I agree that he's "acceptable" (perhaps the wrong adjective to use) for TCM viewers-- unless they're not into films made prior to the 1950s.  While I admit that I haven't seen a ton of his work (here I go again!), every performance of his that I've seen, I enjoyed.

Like others, I really enjoyed The Sting and I also liked the part he had in What a Way to Go!  It was a different part for Newman, but he was excellent.  For those of you who enjoy animation like I do, I really enjoyed his voice work as Doc Hudson in Pixar's Cars

I just recorded Harper when it was on recently.  I recorded it mostly for the cast: Newman, Lauren Bacall, Janet Leigh, Shelley Winters and Robert Wagner.  It sounded interesting.  I haven't watched it yet though. 

After reviewing his filmography, there are a ton of Newman movies that I'd love to see.  I watched the beginning of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on Netflix Instant while doing absolutely nothing at work one day, but then the internet connection screwed up and I wasn't able to watch the rest.  I'll have to try watching it again sometime.  Right now, The Long, Hot Summer is on Instant and I definitely want to try and watch that before it disappears too. 

...If a college-oriented forum I go to is any indication, Butch Cassidy as Newman's signature role is apparently being replaced among younger people by Cool Hand Luke.

Well, the college-oriented folks are displaying good taste. Cool Hand Luke is a far more interesting movie than Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. In fact, I've always felt that the latter is highly over-rated, and never understood its enduring popularity. There's something a bit smug and annoying about the two stars in BCATSK.  And what's up with that bicycle riding scene? I call those kinds of scenes, so popular in the 60s, "frolicking". They're usually quite silly and kind of "precious". And while there are a number of Burt Bacharach songs I actually like, "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" isn't one of them. Not to mention the fact that the lyrics have next to nothing to do with the story. Which isn't very good, in any case. And there's a lot of self-congratulatory smirking going on, on the part of  both Redford and Newman. 

Guess what I'm saying is, I don't like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It would definitely appear on any list I compiled of "10 Most Over-Rated Movies of all Time".

• Like 1

Is the President American? 

Is the Queen English? 

Is Luise Rainer the only living Best Actress Oscar winner from the 1930s still alive? 

Sorry to be sarcastic about it- I just think that Paul Newman of course quantifies a classic film star status. 

I like Butch Cassidy. I admit I could live without the bicycle scene, and I do wish someone else had played Sundance besides the bland Redford. Among those who turned it down:

Steve McQueen (the original choice)

Marlon Brando

James Garner -- my personal choice. Garner is a great reactor, as shown on Maverick and Rockford.

James Coburn

Warren Beatty (ecch) -- chose to do The Only Game In Town instead

McQueen said he rejected the film because he didn't want to take second billing to Newman, and Brando echoed that. I suspect though that the real reason was they -- and probably all the others as well -- realized Butch was the star part.

FWIW, screenwriter William Goldman wrote the script under the title -- believe it or not -- The Sundance Kid And Butch Cassidy. This despite the fact that 1) Butch was always the main character, and 2) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid "flows" better. Goldman still claims he prefers the original title.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings