Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reasons to watch a movie over and over!

CaveGirl

Whilst reading of the dissatisfaction of some, about continued showings of "My Fair Lady", I accidentally happened upon the film yesterday I think.

Pardon me, but sometime the days run together after watching too many films...

As I was starting to turn it off, due to realizing that I was saying dialogue before the actors did since I knew the scene so well...I started noticing the incredible Cecil Beaton [i think] designed backdrops in the Henry Higgins' home and became enraptured.

The decorations and furniture and wallpaper were superb, and of true Victorian style with money being no object obviously to attain such sublime perfection. I then forgot about the movie per se, and just started looking at all the clothes, architecture, art nouveau statues and framed pictures on the wall and was totally enjoying myself.

Then I remembered a true aesthete and scholar I once met, who said that one always wants to revisit a great book, as they find new things every time they read it.

I think movies can be the same for some people.

I think I've watched "Vertigo" at least twenty-five times and now am so secure in what is happening in the plot that I can ignore it and look to see if the cars are consistent on the streets as Jimmy Stewart drives around them from different angles, and try to figure out why the lamps behind Kim's bed in her apartment sometimes have shades and sometimes don't.

I think it was in the foreign movie, "Amelie" that there is a scene where the dialogue concentrates on watching a fly on the screen behind someone in perhaps "Jules and Jim".

So for a crazed film fan, of a great movie...there can never be too many showings as there is always something new to look at and enjoy that one might have not had a chance to see before, being that they may have ONLY been watching the main actors and action in previous viewings.

• Like 2

Nice idea for a thread :)

(tried just 'liking', but seems I've reached my 'quota of positive votes' for the day)

What's up with that QUOTA anyway?? Just how many daily LIKES are allowed??

And why the limit anyway???

:unsure:

Whilst reading of the dissatisfaction of some, about continued showings of "My Fair Lady", I accidentally happened upon the film yesterday I think.

Pardon me, but sometime the days run together after watching too many films...

As I was starting to turn it off, due to realizing that I was saying dialogue before the actors did since I knew the scene so well...I started noticing the incredible Cecil Beaton [i think] designed backdrops in the Henry Higgins' home and became enraptured.

The decorations and furniture and wallpaper were superb, and of true Victorian style with money being no object obviously to attain such sublime perfection. I then forgot about the movie per se, and just started looking at all the clothes, architecture, art nouveau statues and framed pictures on the wall and was totally enjoying myself.

Then I remembered a true aesthete and scholar I once met, who said that one always wants to revisit a great book, as they find new things every time they read it.

I think movies can be the same for some people.

I think I've watched "Vertigo" at least twenty-five times and now am so secure in what is happening in the plot that I can ignore it and look to see if the cars are consistent on the streets as Jimmy Stewart drives around them from different angles, and try to figure out why the lamps behind Kim's bed in her apartment sometimes have shades and sometimes don't.

I think it was in the foreign movie, "Amelie" that there is a scene where the dialogue concentrates on watching a fly on the screen behind someone in perhaps "Jules and Jim".

So for a crazed film fan, of a great movie...there can never be too many showings as there is always something new to look at and enjoy that one might have not had a chance to see before, being that they may have ONLY been watching the main actors and action in previous viewings.

While I agree with the point of 'there is always something new to look at',  often a crazed film fan already owns their own copy of their favorite films.    Therefore TCM doesn't need to show them for there to be 'something new to look at'.    In cases like this I would rather have TCM show something I haven't seen (or haven't seen in a while) and don't own a copy of.

CaveGirl, I like it that you used the word "whilst".

Yes, if you know and love a film really well, you can watch it, put the plot on auto-pilot, and take in the atmosphere. Many - possibly most- of my favourite films are beloved by me not just because of the story, or the actors, or the dialogue ( all of which can be very important, of course) but also because of the "world" they take me to.

As you said, if you know the movie well, it's an old friend, so to speak, you can pay attention to other details. I especially like doing this with film noir, as I am fascinated and attracted to that world (yes, I know, that may strike some as strange. I am a little on the perverse side...)

Just thought of something else: If you have a good quality DVD of a film you like, they often include a running commentary you can select to further enhance your movie-watching experience. Again, of course you'd only use it if you were quite familiar with the film, and it's not necessary to listen to the dialogue. The commentaries, depending on who's doing them, can be enlightening and fun.

• Like 1

I think I posted this in the wrong thread, a couple of hours ago:

If you watch “Citizen Kane” enough times, you might notice that the snow globe is first seen in the film sitting on top of Susan’s dresser the night Mr. Kane met her.

If you watch it more times, you will realize he tells her that he was on the way to a warehouse to look through some of his childhood mementos. And after a few more viewings, it will dawn on you what his favorite memento was.

:)

I can't add anything really except to say that I'll watch something I like as mant times as TCM shows it. When I was watching 7 Brides for 7 Brothers I wasn't so much watching the, by now, familiar factory as I was watching for who was doing what in scenes, like Jeff Richards' non-dancing, or the fact that Jacques D'Ambroise is replaced in a couple of places. Things like that will bring me back, as much as the fact I'd watch it before most anything else that's showing on other channels.

I have a ton of movies and a ton that I enjoy watching over and over. 

If it features a favorite actor of mine, then I'm more apt to watch it over and over, unless the film was really terrible. 

There are some movies, that while I love, I have to be in a certain mood to watch it over and over.  Citizen Kane comes to mind.

There are a lot of people here who have disdain for musicals.  I love musicals; but specific kinds.  I enjoy musicals that feature lots of dancing.  If the movie is straight singing, then it usually bores me.  South Pacific was excruciating.  I thought it was almost over and it turned out that I was only 30 mins into it.  However, I love Gene Kelly and find his movies re-watchable.  Fred Astaire's post-Ginger Rogers movies are fun too.  I could watch Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire dance all day.

Another reason to watch certain movies over and over is for a kind of "emotional comfort".  There was another thread sometime back where people gave ideas for movies that were like "comfort films" for them.  For me if I'm having a particularly stressful day, for example, I'll turn to certain movies like "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", or "Desk Set", or a Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie - I can just tune out the world and watch some mindless fun - nothing violent or tragic or even particularly profound.  ;)

Then there are great films to watch over and over for the great cinematography, like "Robin Hood" - purely escapist stuff, movies to just "carry you away".

• Like 1

Another reason to watch certain movies over and over is for a kind of "emotional comfort".  There was another thread sometime back where people gave ideas for movies that were like "comfort films" for them.  For me if I'm having a particularly stressful day, for example, I'll turn to certain movies like "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", or "Desk Set", or a Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie - I can just tune out the world and watch some mindless fun - nothing violent or tragic or even particularly profound.  ;)

Then there are great films to watch over and over for the great cinematography, like "Robin Hood" - purely escapist stuff, movies to just "carry you away".

I agree.  After a tough day at work, it's nice to relax on the couch with something like Sabrina or The Adventures of Robin Hood.  I also relax with films I simply love.  I have a zillion movies; but I swear that a few of my discs are eventually going to wear out from being watched so often.

Some of my go-to comfort films: All About Eve, Sabrina, Gilda, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Dodge City, (actually any Errol Flynn movie is comforting to me), Singin' in the Rain, Summer Stock, and Casablanca.  If I'm in a more modern mood-- I'll watch one of my "guilty pleasures" (actually I don't feel one iota of guilt for any of these movies.  I'm 30. What do I care?) The Brady Bunch Movie, Clueless and Mean Girls

I have a ton of movies and a ton that I enjoy watching over and over. 

If it features a favorite actor of mine, then I'm more apt to watch it over and over, unless the film was really terrible. 

There are some movies, that while I love, I have to be in a certain mood to watch it over and over.  Citizen Kane comes to mind.

There are a lot of people here who have disdain for musicals.  I love musicals; but specific kinds.  I enjoy musicals that feature lots of dancing.  If the movie is straight singing, then it usually bores me.  South Pacific was excruciating.  I thought it was almost over and it turned out that I was only 30 mins into it.  However, I love Gene Kelly and find his movies re-watchable.  Fred Astaire's post-Ginger Rogers movies are fun too.  I could watch Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire dance all day.

Absolutely, Speedy. I could probably watch a continuous loop of just the "Moses Supposes" routine from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN for hours on end.

And even though I've seen the famous mirror scene in DUCK SOUP countless times, I swear, when Groucho spins around but Harpo doesn't and then they both stick out their hands in that "tah-dah" like expression, I'm on the floor every single time.

And Yeah CaveGirl, I agree with your thread's premise. One of the joys of re-watching movies that one is already very familiar with IS the idea that you might spot something within it which you might have never noticed before, such as possibly an actor's subtle facial expression as they're speaking a line which you may know by heart due to having heard it numerous times before.

(...as mr6666 said, nice idea for a thread topic, CG)

Absolutely, Speedy. I could probably watch a continuous loop of just the "Moses Supposes" routine from SINGIN' IN THE RAIN for hours on end.

I love "Moses Suposes" but my favorite number is the Broadway Melody number with Gene and Cyd Charisse.  The dance where she's wearing the green flapper dress.  The white veil dance is fun too; but not as exciting as their first number.  In the "green dress" dance, I love the music they dance to and the story that Cyd and Gene tell through their dance. 

I also really love Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh" number.  What an amazing dancer and athlete he was!

I love "Moses Suposes" but my favorite number is the Broadway Melody number with Gene and Cyd Charisse.  The dance where she's wearing the green flapper dress.  The white veil dance is fun too; but not as exciting as their first number.  In the "green dress" dance, I love the music they dance to and the story that Cyd and Gene tell through their dance. 

I also really love Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh" number.  What an amazing dancer and athlete he was!

Couldn't agree more on both counts. But then again, anytime I catch Cyd in ANYTHING is a special treat for me.

(...'cause as I've said many times around here, Tony Martin was one lucky guy!) ;)

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more on both counts. But then again, anytime I catch Cyd in ANYTHING is a special treat for me.

(...'cause as I've said many times around here, Tony Martin was one lucky guy!) ;)

Haha.  She is really pretty and a great dancer.  I also wish I were like 5 inches taller so I'd have half a chance to have legs like hers.   Although, I have to admit, I was not a fan of her and Gene Kelly in Brigadoon.  It is one of the few Gene Kelly movies I don't have (heck, I even have Xanadu!).  I don't know what it was about it; but it didn't do anything for me and I don't wish to see it again. 

Other than Reefer Madness, which I use to show for profit, I think the movies I've watched the most have been The Battle of Algiers, Casablanca, The Killers, Out of the Past, Kiss of Death, The Asphalt Jungle, and Baby Face.  But of all those, only the first two were primarily on the Silver Screen. 

It's funny that I generally can't stand musicals, but the few I do like I've watched repeatedly and will probably keep watching:  A Star Is Born (Garland version, though in many ways that's more a drama than a musical); the three Berkeleys from 1933; Singin' in the Rain; Damn Yankees; My Fair Lady; and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.  I wouldn't mind if TCM showed My Fair Lady every three months, just so I could be continually re-enchanted by Audrey, and of course Rex Harrison is perfect as 'Enry 'Iggins.

I watch movies over and over because I'm always finding new details I never caught before--interesting set dressings, a joke I never got, new insights, etc. For example, this just happened to me. I watched YANKEE DOODLE DANDY for the billionth time (we watch it every 4th of July without fail) and caught this line for the first time: when Sam Harris rushes arrogant George out of the house to meet Fay Templeton, Mary tells them to invite her over after the show and Cohan says, "I will if she's still speaking to us." I love it! When they're doing "Peck's Bad Boy," I love the sign in their dressing room that says, "Do Not Blow Out Gas." And I love all the funny little sayings on the teenagers' car (the teens who never heard of him). Lots of details I only catch on multiple viewings on this and many other films.

I can't add anything really except to say that I'll watch something I like as mant times as TCM shows it. When I was watching 7 Brides for 7 Brothers I wasn't so much watching the, by now, familiar factory as I was watching for who was doing what in scenes, like Jeff Richards' non-dancing, or the fact that Jacques D'Ambroise is replaced in a couple of places. Things like that will bring me back, as much as the fact I'd watch it before most anything else that's showing on other channels.

I know what you mean-- I've seen this and WEST SIDE STORY so many times I know the choreography now, and know which dancers are better at which steps, etc. Jacques D'Amboise is so fun to watch in 7B7B--he seems to be having so much fun.

I know what you mean-- I've seen this and WEST SIDE STORY so many times I know the choreography now, and know which dancers are better at which steps, etc. Jacques D'Amboise is so fun to watch in 7B7B--he seems to be having so much fun.

I could watch GROUNDHOG DAY over and over.

• Like 4

I've seen The Long, Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz more times than I can count.  I got it back in the 90s on VHS and eventually my tape wore out and I upgraded to DVD. 

It's my family's go-to camping movie; we'd bring it with us and watch it in our camper and later after we sold the camper, we'd huddle around and watch it on our portable DVD player.  It's one of the perfect camping movies.

It's gotten to the point where we can recite the dialogue and start noticing other things going on.  For instance, next time you watch TLLT, note how many times and how many different characters sport the same light blue jacket with dark blue collar and cuffs.  I don't know if the wardrobe budget on this film was small and everyone shared clothes; or perhaps MGM got a really good deal on these blue coats and gave one to everyone in the cast.  No characters ever appear on screen at the same time wearing the blue coat.

When my husband and I took our honeymoon road trip to California (just like Lucy and Desi! except not in a trailer-- 40 feet of train!), a couple times we had to turn around.  I'd turn to my husband and say: "Do you have any conception how much room it takes to turn this thing around? We might have to go on for miles and miles!" Even though we were driving a Toyota Corolla-- which makes the whole thing even funnier.  Our other favorite thing to do when we're giving directions we say: "Turn right here, left!" And finally, if we've over packed the car and still have more stuff to put in there, we'll say "We're gonna need a trailer for the trailer!" 

My favorite line in the whole movie:

DESI: It's a fine thing when you come home to your home and your home is gone!

In addition to our manic re-watching of TLLT, my family and I are almost at that point with the 1985 John Candy classic-- Summer Rental

I wet my bed daddy.

You didn't wet your bed, you wet their bed!