Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anything good coming on? (Give us a heads-up!)

I think this place needs a thread like this. I didn't know where to post it, or what to call it, but the basic idea is that if there's a film coming on TCM some time soon that you'd like you recommend to others, then this is the place to do it.

I've noticed that threads recommending certain upcoming films often slip under the radar, and also some members may not want to start threads just to recommend films, and this makes it easier and breezier. Of course this wouldn't be impeding any threads for extended conversation on films or daily themes, it's just a single convenient thread to keep track of.

So, anything I should try to catch in the next few days?

Step Lively, Jeeves! (1937) Arthur Treacher as P. G. Wodehouse's Jeeves. This movie does not have a Bertie Wooster. 

Holy Matrimony (1943) It is Monty Woolley and Gracie Fields directed by John M. Stahl who later directed: Leave Her to Heaven (1945).

Both are airing Wednesday, July 9, 2014 night.

Thanks, Vautrin. I remember that film came on recently late at night after Gray Gardens, but I wasn't able to stay up for it. I'm glad it will be airing at a reasonable hour tomorrow.

There are a couple of films coming on late Friday night/Saturday morning for the WWI spotlight that I'm looking forward to. I can't recommend them because I haven't seen them, but they look interesting and I want everyone to know they're on.

G. W. Pabst double feature, starting at 3:00 AM (ET) Saturday

I think this place needs a thread like this. I didn't know where to post it, or what to call it, but the basic idea is that if there's a film coming on TCM some time soon that you'd like you recommend to others, then this is the place to do it.

I've noticed that threads recommending certain upcoming films often slip under the radar, and also some members may not want to start threads just to recommend films, and this makes it easier and breezier. Of course this wouldn't be impeding any threads for extended conversation on films or daily themes, it's just a single convenient thread to keep track of.

So, anything I should try to catch in the next few days?

Hi Kay,

There have threads like this before but, inevitably, they get buried underneath the rubble...so, yes, a good time for a new one. Your decision for FAVORITES is excellent. It would be bounced around amid all the activity in GEN DISC, so busy is that overused category. If no one posted for a couple of days it could, once again, be lost forever. I'm currently on cable sabbatical (my cable season more or less coincides with football season, which begins in September) but wanted to express my appreciation for this very fine idea of a thread and your choice of where it can be found (for future reference, in my case). Thanks.

Hi Kay,

There have threads like this before but, inevitably, they get buried underneath the rubble...so, yes, a good time for a new one. Your decision for FAVORITES is excellent. It would be bounced around amid all the activity in GEN DISC, so busy is that overused category. If no one posted for a couple of days it could, once again, be lost forever. I'm currently on cable sabbatical (my cable season more or less coincides with football season, which begins in September) but wanted to express my appreciation for this very fine idea of a thread and your choice of where it can be found (for future reference, in my case). Thanks.

Thanks for your comment, laffite. I was wondering if there had been threads like this before, and if so, why they would have become unpopular. It basically boils down to a general discussion thread about what's currently on TCM. Perhaps I should change the title to reflect that.

I'd also like anyone to talk about what films are coming on that they're looking forward to seeing, as I did a couple posts back.

I usually follow threads by commenting on them and following "My Content," but there's also a handy "Follow This Topic" button up in the corner that doesn't seem to get a lot of use on any threads. Maybe that's a fairly new feature.

Thanks for your comment, laffite. I was wondering if there had been threads like this before, and if so, why they would have become unpopular. It basically boils down to a general discussion thread about what's currently on TCM. Perhaps I should change the title to reflect that.

I'd also like anyone to talk about what films are coming on that they're looking forward to seeing, as I did a couple posts back.

I usually follow threads by commenting on them and following "My Content," but there's also a handy "Follow This Topic" button up in the corner that doesn't seem to get a lot of use on any threads. Maybe that's a fairly new feature.

If I may...please consider other feedback, but FWIW I really like the title you have now, the "Head's Up" emphasis, people will learn about the movies to be shown IN ADVANCE. Then they can set DVRs or make plans to be home and watch. That doesn't mean discussions about those movies won't ensue, they might very well take place, all the better. But, in my view, you have the proper emphasis just the way you have it now.

FredCDobbs had a couple of threads like this that lasted a long time, one with TCM movies and the other was something else, maybe for a different channel, don't remember exactly (but there were two of them running concurrently. Maybe Fred will see this and comment)). I don't think they became unpopular, per se, I think it just happens that even the slightest neglect can remove them from view and then they get forgotten

Okay, enough from me, I don't want to disturb the thread with a lot of theory, but I do think that the present title of the thread is quite good.

:)

A marathon of good watching, eh? I've only ever seen parts of All Quiet on the Western Front and The Big Parade. I have my heart set on a couple of German films coming on at 3:00 AM. (Only midnight for me. West coast programming is better.)

I can second that Paths of Glory is an excellent film. It's good to see that they've chosen to spotlight so many "anti-war" films on this WWI tribute day.

Thanks, obrien, it looks like we can't go wrong today.

Bound for Glory (1976) is coming on Saturday at 5:15 PM (ET). This is a well-acted and entertaining bio-pic of that great songwriter and labor activist Woody Guthrie, as played by David Carradine. I'd encourage anyone to watch it; though it comes on from time to time, so no pressure.

Princess O'Rourke (1943) is scheduled to air Sunday evening. It is a fun little comedy with a good cast.

Throne of Blood (1957) is TCM Import. It is absolute classic with excellent performances. I urge that even those who do not like foreign-language movies to try it as I believe that many will be surprised by how very much it draws them in.

Yeah, Kay Francis day looks great. I haven't seen any of the films being shown. I'm definitely looking forward to Trouble in Paradise, and also Jewel Robbery. Hopefully I'll catch even more.

And for Sunday, Throne of Blood is one I've been wanting to see for a while. I've only seen parts of it, including the spectacular ending.

This is only a minor recommendation for today. Lightning Strikes Twice (1951) is coming on as the second Underground feature, and while it's kind of a contrived and unconvincing noir film I thought it was entertaining, and also very funny, even though the humor might be unintentional.

I'm definitely looking forward to Trouble in Paradise, and also Jewel Robbery

Jewel Robbery (1932) is an absolute gem! It is one of my favorite of all time movies. It is sad to say that I must refrain from extolling its virtues because they would be spoilers. I can assure you that a great treat awaits you.

I like very much the other Kay Francis movies which are being aired. They are all quite delightful.

I would like to point out that: Raffles (1930) is the proper one with Ronald Colman. The David Niven remake is a very good movie but it does not compare well with this version.

Jewel Robbery (1932) is an absolute gem! It is one of my favorite of all time movies. It is sad to say that I must refrain from extolling its virtues because they would be spoilers. I can assure you that a great treat awaits you.

I like very much the other Kay Francis movies which are being aired. They are all quite delightful.

I would like to point out that: Raffles (1930) is the proper one with Ronald Colman. The David Niven remake is a very good movie but it does not compare well with this version.

I'm planning on seeing Raffles.   I have seen the Niven\DeHavilland remake.    Olivia doesn't have much to do at all in that film and I'm wondering if Francis is feature more in the 30's version.

Thanks for withholding spoilers, SansFin, but I think Robert Osborne gave away the thing you were thinking of, anyway. Thanks a lot, Bob! ;) What a wonderful movie this is! I never knew such a thing existed.

(Edit: P.S. It doesn't look like I'll be making movie plans tonight, except for perhaps At Sword's Point (1951), which looks kinda funny. I doubt I'll be able to stay up for the silent movie.)

Thanks for withholding spoilers, SansFin, but I think Robert Osborne gave away the thing you were thinking of, anyway. 

The funny cigarettes is one of many things.

I love when he speaks of needing a temporary refuge from being chased and she finds it a grievous insult that he would think that he could have a quiet night in her bedroom. A night in her bedroom? Perhaps. A quiet night there? Never!

I love when she and her friend are in the shop and speaking of the jewelry and deciding what is required for a woman to tolerate her husband.

I love when the servant in his apartment opens the drapes to the bed chamber and the butler reproves him that dinner comes first and so the servant opens the drapes to the dining chamber. It is an ingrained sense that: "We may be immoral but we are never un-couth."

I believe that an analysis would reveal that what I love dearly of the entire movie is her unrepentant hedonism. She is young and she is beautiful and she knows it and so her life should be unending grandeur, glory and joy. It irks her that life has dull moments and that she must be married to an old man in order to afford the type of life which she deserves.

It is a sentiment with which I readily identify even although I have never been able to live it. :)

I believe that an analysis would reveal that what I love dearly of the entire movie is her unrepentant hedonism. She is young and she is beautiful and she knows it and so her life should be unending grandeur, glory and joy. It irks her that life has dull moments and that she must be married to an old man in order to afford the type of life which she deserves.

It is a sentiment with which I readily identify even although I have never been able to live it. :)

Hah! Yes, but in one scene she revealed great self-awareness that she is shallow and lives a frivolous life without suffering, and with breakneck speed she goes back into form when her husband shows her that he bought her the ring. It seems that though she is aware of her lot in life she only wants a greater lot; the kind she can have with a jewel thief for a husband!

It's amazing how much dialogue can slip by when you're laughing. I liked you interpretations, but I guess I'll have to see it again! (It usually takes me a few weeks to decide that.)

Hah! Yes, but in one scene she revealed great self-awareness that she is shallow and lives a frivolous life without suffering, and with breakneck speed she goes back into form when her husband shows her that he bought her the ring. It seems that though she is aware of her lot in life she only wants a greater lot; the kind she can have with a jewel thief for a husband!

I feel that scene shows well that she understands "the other side" and so has a deeper appreciation for the good things. It is as a person who has known hunger will approach a feast with a greater appreciation than a person who has not. To think of work and suffering and then to opens her eyes makes her jewels sparkle all the greater. 

I would quibble about making a jewel thief her husband. I believe that it would be far more delicious if she remained married to a checkbook and lives with that handsome and spritely man as illicit lover.

I know that it is late for: "heads up" but: Yolanda And The Thief (1945) airs in a few hours. It is  Fred Astaire and Lucille Bremer. It is a light little trifle which I like very much. 

I feel that scene shows well that she understands "the other side" and so has a deeper appreciation for the good things. It is as a person who has known hunger will approach a feast with a greater appreciation than a person who has not. To think of work and suffering and then to opens her eyes makes her jewels sparkle all the greater. 

I would quibble about making a jewel thief her husband. I believe that it would be far more delicious if she remained married to a checkbook and lives with that handsome and spritely man as illicit lover.

I know that it is late for: "heads up" but: Yolanda And The Thief (1945) airs in a few hours. It is  Fred Astaire and Lucille Bremer. It is a light little trifle which I like very much. 

That scene may have been there to create some audience sympathy for the character.   As you know this movie was released at the start of the depression.   Osborne made comment related to that in the intro.   The movie starts with her taking a  bath and she has about 10 or so helpers!     So the producers may of felt it was necessary to show a human side to her character to create some type of balance (I say some type because it wasn't much).

The Better 'Ole (1926) is coming on tomorrow at 2:00 PM (ET) for our WWI spotlight. This film aired as a Silent Sunday feature last Memorial Day weekend, so if you missed it then this is your chance. It's a mild and amusing Syd Chaplin movie, with one long, hilarious sequence involving two men in a horse suit. A Charlie Chaplin short film follows this.

Then, at 4:30, there's the Buster Keaton talkie Doughboys (1930), with funny Uke man Cliff Edwards, but then the best part of that movie is undoubtedly this:

Personally, I'm looking forward to King of Hearts (1966) and Oh! What a Lovely War (1969), both also on tomorrow.

• Like 1

I doubt I'll be able to catch The Journey tomorrow. Too bad, it does look interesting. I'll keep an eye open in the future.

I noticed that after that's over, The Ladykillers (1955) will be showing. This is such a great movie. I'd encourage everyone to see it. It turned me into an Alec Guinness believer and then some.

I would like to highly recommend a favorite film of mine, Double Harness, coming up this Saturday at 10am (ET) as part of the SUTS tribute to William Powell.

Both William Powell and Ann Harding are wonderful in this pre-code comedy/drama which was rescued from obscurity by TCM.  There’s an interesting article on the film's rediscovery at:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/73497/Double-Harness/articles.html

I see there’s also a second showing scheduled for Sept. 12 should you miss it this weekend.

I would like to highly recommend a favorite film of mine, Double Harness, coming up this Saturday at 10am (ET) as part of the SUTS tribute to William Powell.

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks like a goodie. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to catch it in that time slot, and when it's reshown on Sep. 12 it will be in that same time slot again. Alas! I need to get me a DVR.

P.S. Hope everyone's got their DVRs ready for Jeanne Moreau day! I'd like to see Bay of Angels (1964), but again, time slot. Of course I'll recommend that great film Jules and Jim (1962) to anyone who hasn't seen it, on at midnight tomorrow.

Saturday is an excellent day!

Jewel Robbery (1932) is airing for those who missed it before.

Double Harness (1933) is indeed very good!

Libeled Lady (1936), Double Wedding (1937), I Love You Again (1940) and Love Crazy (1941) are all great comedies.