Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anything good coming on? (Give us a heads-up!)

Kay

Fridays in September TCM is spotlighting precode  films. On 9/5 some notable films are:

1. Female (1933)

2. Illicit (1931)

3. The Divorcee (1930)

On 9/12 two Ernst Lubitsch films with Miriam Hopkins will air:

1. DESIGN FOR LIVING (1933)

2. TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932)

Great list of movies.  Love pre-codes.    But didn't you know I'm the only one around these parts that is allowed to have an avatar that features a guitar.    ;)

On 9/12 two Ernst Lubitsch films with Miriam Hopkins will air:

1. DESIGN FOR LIVING (1933)

2. TROUBLE IN PARADISE (1932)

I've never seen Design for Living, I'm really looking forward to it. Trouble in Paradise is a really wonderful and charming film. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is included in the Miriam Hopkins quartet of films, too, and it's a particular favorite of mine. It shows up on the schedule fairly often, though, which can't be said for The Story of Temple Drake, another one I'm really keen on seeing next week.

Welcome to the board, by the way. :)

Re, James: I didn't get the memo, do excuse me!

Our next TCM Import on Sunday is The Battle of Algiers (1966), a very realistically made and enthralling film. The cast is mostly made up of non-actors, and they are excellent, as is the professional actor, Jean Martin, playing the unsympathetic French Colonel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our Mother's House (1967) will air on Wednesday, NOVEMBER 12 @ 06:00 PM (ET)

It stars Dirk Bogarde has the father and Pamela Franklin as one of 7 children. Things to look for is the scene where Dirk and the children are walking through a busy market which is Croydon located in South London. The park where they are boating is Crystal Palace Park, not far from Croydon.

This movie is very atmospheric and creepy with a building tension and a open ending.

TCM schedules this about once every 7 years so it's not on often. Don't miss it or you will have to wait until 2020 to see it again.

12:30  PM tomorrow afternoon:

Badlands (1973)

A young tough guy and his teen-aged girlfriend take off on a killing spree.

DirTerrence Malick CastMartin Sheen , Sissy Spacek , Warren Oates .

Very realistic, about two young cross-country killers. I've done news stories on these types of people, and a lot of the young couples are very much like this....... young, stupid, and crazy.

Years ago, I had a young girlfriend who looked, sounded, and acted just like Sissy Spacek does in this movie.

Good thing I wasn't a cross-country killer. :)

:) Great Movie Alert!

At 1:45 stop what you're doing and watch or tape for later The Southerner.  This is Zachary Scott as you don't usually see him and the rest of the cast is wonderful as well.  It's brutally honest in its depiction of sharecropper life in the 40's and beautiful due to the determination of a large loving family to make it all costs but keep the love intact.  It makes you proud to be from Dixie if you are.  I've not seen it in a while and can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...
Il Sorpasso (1961) FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28 @ 01:30 AM (ET

A shy law student meets a bon vivant who takes him for a drive through the Roman and Tuscan countryside.

DirDino Risi Cast:  Vittorio Gassman Jean-Louis Trintignant Catherine Spaak .

If you missed this when it was on about a month ago it's on again tomorrow night. It's one of those kind of Italian movies that you get so wrapped up in  you forget you are reading subtitles. You can't help but think at the end of the movie that you better be careful who you meet because there's not much time for being sorry.

Archived