Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DESIREE

Palmerin

The story of Desiree Clary and Napoleon is very interesting and moving, so why did the movie with Simmons and Brando come out so dull? The only thing I can praise of that bore is that Simmons looks really pretty in the fashions of Napoleon's time.

The story of Desiree Clary and Napoleon is very interesting and moving, so why did the movie with Simmons and Brando come out so dull? The only thing I can praise of that bore is that Simmons looks really pretty in the fashions of Napoleon's time.

Maybe too much talking and.speechifying, not.enough.action. I agree

I really want to like this movie since I love Jean Simmons and Michael Rennie.  It is a wonderful

(true) story but somehow it just doesn't make it on screen.  The book is way more interesting.

Lydecker

I'd say that the casting of Marlon Brando as Napoleon was the biggest problem with this film.  His mumbly speech doesn't do much to bring the vivacious and charismatic Napoleon Bonaparte to life. 

I'm trying to think of who would have been better for the role... 

Errol Flynn.  No.  By this point, too old and too tall.

James Cagney.  No. The height is right, but he too would have been too old.

Claude Rains.  Height right. But too old.

I'm at a loss as to who I would replace Brando with; I'm sure someone else could think of someone though.

http://www.historyrundown.com/was-napoleon-bonaparte-really-so-short/

Because of numerous paintings, movies and cartoons, we often imagine Napoleon Bonaparte as an unusually short man, even when compared to his contemporaries. However, the myth that Napoleon was short stems primarily from the fact that he was measured 5 feet 2 inches few years before his death. However, this was his height in French feet and french inches, which were little bit larger than imperial units.

In modern units, Napoleon was actually 5 feet 7 inches tall. When compared to average height in today’s France, it really isn’t much, however, in the 19th century, average male height was less than 5 feet 5 inches. That means Napoleon Bonaparte was actually quite tall for his time.

Although Napoleon was sometimes considered short even during his lifetime, this stems solely from the fact that he was always accompanied by bodyguards , who had to be taller than the average. When compared to his guards, he logically looked smaller, thus earning him the nickname ”The Little Corporal”.

Richard,

How about the average height in Corsica, an Italian speaking island, since that is where he was from?

Richard- thank you for the link.  I didn't realize that Napoleon's short stature was actually an urban legend.  I guess the term "Napoleon Complex" isn't based on fact. 

Arturo- That's a very interesting question.  I didn't realize that Napoleon was Italian! I always thought he was French.

Richard- thank you for the link. I didn't realize that Napoleon's short stature was actually an urban legend. I guess the term "Napoleon Complex" isn't based on fact.

Arturo- That's a very interesting question. I didn't realize that Napoleon was Italian! I always thought he was French.

Well, he is French by nationality, since.Corsica.Was.annexed.by France. But Corsicans speak variations of Italian. However, Sardinia, just south of Corsica, and belonging to Italy, has it's own Romance language, Sardinian, spoken over most of that island; ironically, the northernmost tip of Sardinia speak the southernmost variety of Corsican Italian. Another language, a version of Aragones or Catalan, Iberian languages, is spoken in an enclave of Sardinia, a reflection from when Aragon ruled Sardinia.

Btw, at the beginning if DESIREE, Bonaparte was pronounced and I believe spelled in the Italian manner

( Napoleone Buonaparte?). Richard Deacon makes reference to his name disparagingly. Napoleon later Francofied his name.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings