Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October 2014 Schedule Up!

speedracer5

It looks like TCM posted the October 2014 schedule on their super secret schedule link. 

For us clown fans (groan), we're in for a treat, there's a clown marathon on Friday, October 3.

I'm thinking SOTM might be Janet Leigh

I tried posting the schedule in it's entirety but the character limit made it too difficult.  Here is the link.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/october2014.html

I've found that you can access the "secret" schedule by going to the link above and then just replace the month with whichever month you're inquiring about.  If a schedule is available, it'll be there.  Although, occasionally, the schedule disappears and then reappears later.

Now that I've given up on my futile efforts to post the schedule:

Here is what I'm looking forward to:

All the Marx Brothers movies-- although I own two Marx Brothers movies, they're still fun to watch.  I'm especially looking forward to Double Dynamite with Groucho, Jane Russell and Frank Sinatra.  Sounds interesting.

Beat the Devil with Humphrey Bogart.  I tried watching it before and didn't get it.  It's apparently a cult classic.  I want to see if I can understand it the second time around.

The 'Night at the Movies' documentary about Thrillers.

Cool Hand Luke, never seen it before

Five Came Back, one of my 1939 movies for my personal 1939 movie watching challenge.  I've seen this movie before; but I enjoyed it and would like to see it again.

All the Carole Lombard movies on Oct. 6

Bette Davis' The Letter, Alfred Hitchock's Strangers on a Train and William Holden in Network on Oct 7.

All the Janet Leigh movies in October, whom I'm guessing is SOTM.

Reckless with Jean Harlow and William Powell

Only Angels Have Wings with Cary Grant and Jean Arthur

Alfred Hitchock's Shadow of a Doubt

Bette Davis' Dangerous

Scaramouche, Never seen it before.  On this board, the last time it aired, everyone was raving about it, so I need to see what the fuss was about.

The Montgomery Clift movies on the 17th

In a Lonely Place with Bogie

All the Vincent Price movies

It looks like a pretty good month. It is also wonderfully more classic-skewing than September's schedule (although seeing 2001's The Others marked for 4 AM one night is quite jarring.) And it is great that Janet Leigh is finally the SOTM.

Janet Leigh is my guess for SOTM.  It looked like there were a lot of Janet Leigh movies that seemed to appear in clumps once a week.  I hope I'm right.

The big surprise for me is the showing of THE STRANGER'S RETURN from 1933 on the 14th. This film has been withheld from viewing for many years due to rights issues. The excellent review from Leonard Maltin has me very curious. 

Both The Stranger's Return and Her Sister's Secret, two very obscure films, were shown at this year's festival, and it's great that they are appearing so quickly on the regular schedule.

The Friday Night Spotlight for the first four Fridays in October will be films set in Africa, and Alex Trebek will probably be the guest host. This was rumored at the festival. Trebek has a special interest in African history. Unfortunately, Zulu, the wonderful film he introduced, is not listed, and neither is Cry, the Beloved Country, another favorite of mine. I'm glad that Zulu Dawn, which I've never seen, will be shown. The series will show some of the ways that Africa has been portrayed in films.

For those who have never seen them, what better introduction to early Fellini than a double feature of Nights of Cabiria and La Strada?

Various Michael Powell films are scattered throughout the schedule, and maybe I'll be brave enough to try Peeping Tom. Maybe not.

I'm curious about Peter Finch as Oscar Wilde in Trials of Oscar Wilde. This isn't exactly typecasting, but I do like Finch's acting.

For sheer viewing pleasure, try Oct. 9 and consecutive showings of The Locket, Portrait of Jennie, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and Pandora and the Flying Dutchman.

Actually this is an interesting schedule, even with all the usual Halloween movies.  Swing High, Swing Low was on TCM a few years ago, but my cable company had recently complicated how to record things, so I didn't catch it.  The Ritwik Ghatak movie looks interesting.  Not only do we have The Spirit of the Beehive, but we also have Erice's follow-up feature El Sur..  And I'm also pleased about what I suspect are the premieres of Mountains of the Moon and The Others.  Now if they could only get The Shining.

I couldn't believe my eyes! LONG PANTS (1927) is to the best of my knowledge the first Harry Langdon Silent feature that TCM has ever shown. Definitely a Premiere. I don't think that they have run TRAMP, TRAMP, TRAMP, or THE STRONG MAN in the part. To say nothing of HIS FIRST FLAME, THREE'S A CROWD or THE CHASER. As far as I'm concerned this indicates to me films like PETER PAN (1924) Or FAUST (1926) or THE CHESS PLAYER (1926), or SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927), that like LONG PANTS has been on DVD for many years could still premiere on TCM at some point. In-fact, Murnau's FAUST is finally coming out on Blu-ray soon. So maybe that will make a difference? Who knows?

LONG PANTS is a very strange story to say the list. With a lady dope pusher, and Harry actually tries to off his fiancee in favor of her. I wonder why they decided to put this on the schedule. I would have expected THE STRONG MAN easily Langdon's best known and most acclaimed movie to debut first.

Swing High, Swing Low was on TCM a few years ago, but my cable company had recently complicated how to record things, so I didn't catch it. 

They have run it several times before. It's the only Paramount film for Lombard they have selected for this day in October-- but it is in the public domain and TCM always shows a cheap quality print.

It appears that animated films will be airing the night of October 6 (under the theme of "Back To The Drawing Board," but the 3 selections in prime time are TBA.

The late night selections are:

THE ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED --- a wonderful silent film 

GULLIVER'S TRAVELS -- the first feature-length Fleischer cartoon

THE MAGIC BOY  --- a truly magical film from Japan's Toei Animation Studio

THE PHANTOM TOOTHBRUSH - a Chuck Jones film

I couldn't believe my eyes! LONG PANTS (1927) is to the best of my knowledge the first Harry Langdon Silent feature that TCM has ever shown.

I got excited when I saw that, too, but upon closer examination it seems to be a different silent short film without Harry Langdon. Such a disappointment. TCM needs to showcase Harry Langdon sometime soon and get in some good premieres.

It appears that animated films will be airing the night of October 6 (under the theme of "Back To The Drawing Board," but the 3 selections in prime time are TBA.

I consider this a victory. I think they have read the thread I started in the Essentials forum about not having any animated films as an Essential, ever. It looks like they are starting to make up for some of that.

There seems to have been a transpositional error made in the schedule for Saturday the 4th.

They've got the rather adult cult item 'Peeping Tom' (1960) scheduled for 3 in the afternoon (hey guys, this one ain't exactly for kids, know what I mean) but then they've got Roy Orbison's lightweight musical western comedy 'The Fast Guitar Alive' (1967) scheduled at 3:30 a.m. in the Underground Show.

Seems like it should be the other way around.

The thing is - the first Underground feature is a Johnny Cash movie (a dark drama) and it may be that in the programmers minds Johnny and Roy - both Sun Records graduates - make for a theme. But not with regards to the type of movies that are scheduled - not at all.

They have run it several times before. It's the only Paramount film for Lombard they have selected for this day in October-- but it is in the public domain and TCM always shows a cheap quality print.

Swing High, Swing Low is a good movies and along with MacMurray and Lombard we get Dorothy Lamour (playing the bad\mean gal).

I wondered why the print was so bad (really faded looking).     

Swing High, Swing Low is a good movies and along with MacMurry and Lombard we get Dorothy Lamour (playing the bad\mean gal).

I wondered why the print was so bad (really faded looking).     

MacMurray worked again with Lamour in the mid-40s in Paramount's musical AND THE ANGELS SING, with Betty Hutton in a supporting role.

Finally, good to see this :D

"THE MAGIC BOY'' may be a premiere ( the 3 others I've seen a couple times before)

Keeping fingers crossed for something new for the 3 To Be Announced

:wub:

The Phantom TOLLBOOTH! (Toothbrush? What the heck?) Didn't anybody else read this as a kid with all the crazy Jules Feiffer illustrations? I wish the animation in the film had looked more like that than a Road Runner cartoon, frankly.

Hahaha!!!! There is indeed a typo here.

Yes, it should be The PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH   . . .  but I do like idea of a phantom toothbrush.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings