Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Schedule and TCM needs a TCM 2

Bogie56

I know everyone has varying tastes but to me, the new October schedule is perhaps the worst in TCM's history.  The tribute to Janet Leigh aside which is quite nice to see, the other daily lineups show little imagination or digging through that 'vault' to unearth some gems that are not often seen.

Does TCM ever even look at its own 'Suggest a Movie' members thread?

Don't get me wrong.  I love the channel.  In fact I think it needs a TCM 2 like many of the other (lesser) movie channels do.

There are just too many movies to choose from and surely a TCM 2 could offer us an alternative lineup that may expose its audience to a few more foreign films, documentaries and newer films from time to time.  Perhaps Ben Mankiewicz, who is an excellent host could spearhead a TCM 2.

I know a lot of people hate it when other people do this, but here I go anyway.

Someone asked about this very same subject on the second TCM Cruise, and Robert Osborne stated that while it's a great idea, such a venture would require double the staff and double the money, which isn't exactly doable on their current budget.

I know everyone has varying tastes but to me, the new October schedule is perhaps the worst in TCM's history.  The tribute to Janet Leigh aside which is quite nice to see, the other daily lineups show little imagination or digging through that 'vault' to unearth some gems that are not often seen.

Don't get me wrong.  I love the channel.  In fact I think it needs a TCM 2 like many of the other (lesser) movie channels do.

There are just too many movies to choose from and surely a TCM 2 could offer us an alternative lineup that may expose its audience to a few more foreign films, documentaries and newer films from time to time.  Perhaps Ben Mankiewicz, who is an excellent host could spearhead a TCM 2.

Note that a lot of other users at this forum are complaining that TCM has changed too much;  that they are showing too many foreign films,  documentaries and newer films.    Some have even complained about too many color films (and not just newer ones).

My point:  there isn't much consensus at this forum on what the TCM brand should represent.    Hey, a TCM-2 is a great idea,  but we need to be carefull what we wish for;   If TCM was to start a TCM-2 it might require them to show commercials on both TCM-1 and TCM-2 to stay in the black  (or to become a fee for service station like HBO).

• Like 2

Dream on. To start up a new channel today can cost more than a hundred million bucks. (just ask Oprah)  If Time-Warner had that kind of money they sure wouldn't do another non-commercial channel. And even if they did, that doesn't mean that all the cable companies would want to carry it. They'd rather have channels that share commercial revenue with them.

I just looked at the October schedule, thought it was one of the better recent ones. Everyone to their own taste.

Any month that includes a tribute to Edgar Ulmer is a good month. And there is also the 1932 The Old Dark House; a fair amount of British colonies-type films, including my favorite Meryl Streep performance -- Out of Africa; and a lot of real oldies. Actually IMHO a rather good month!

I thought that the October schedule was pretty good and is a step up from September's.

I agree with you that the October schedule good but like I posted there are a lot of different taste at this forum (which is a good thing).

To me this points out the challenges the TCM programmers have with regards to what the TCM brand should represent.

To me this points out the challenges the TCM programmers have with regards to what the TCM brand should represent.

Yeah. I'd like to think it represents lots of really good movies - but then I see 'Clambake' or some ridiculous singing cowboy - and I wonder "are we sure TCM has a 'brand'?"

I briefly scoped out the October schedule and from what I saw I think October on TCM is going to stink. Why are they running Dr. Kildaire on Saturday mornings? Following that is the Hammer mummy movies. Yuk! I was so happy to see the Nancy Drew series on Saturdays this month followed by really bad 50's sci-fi. I dunno. Thank goodness for Svengoolie, as cheesy as he is.

Yes, in fact, they do look at them. I just got a few more of my recent suggestions on the schedule - A River Called Titas, El Sur, and (and I'm not the only one who has been asking for this for years) The Stranger Returns.

Yeah. I'd like to think it represents lots of really good movies - but then I see 'Clambake' or some ridiculous singing cowboy - and I wonder "are we sure TCM has a 'brand'?"

The reason Elvis pops up so often is that one of the higher up officials at TCM is a HUGE fan. I'm thinking I read it was Charlie Tabesh, but I could be mistaken on that part.

Yes, in fact, they do look at them. I just got a few more of my recent suggestions on the schedule - A River Called Titas, El Sur, and (and I'm not the only one who has been asking for this for years) The Stranger Returns.

Well we don't know if those movies being on the schedule was a direct result of the suggestions,  but hopefully it is.

I can see the suggestions working in one of two ways;   TCM allready has the movie leased but wasn't planning on showing it (they got the movie as part of a leasing bundle),  but now decides to show it,   OR,   when TCM leases another bundle of movies from a studio they as that a suggested movie be included.     I hope they do both of these so loyal TCM fans get to see the movies they suggest.