Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Time-Warner Cable ... Does is block taping?

drednm

I will tell you a story.  I have Time Warner Cable, and once, years back, I was having reception problems with my TV signal, and slow internet speeds.  I called Cust Service, techs came out, did stuff with the cable, and gave me a new box.  After that I found I could not record on any of the movie channels.  I could record on my local channels, and specialty channels (Discovery, Food, HGTV, etc.), but not SHO, HBO, or TCM (I got the premium channels free with a sign up deal--I never watched them).  I got an error message on my screen saying recording was not permitted.  I think it was generated by my DVD recorder.  I called Cust Serv again and asked 'em what's up?  They denied any knowledge.  I said you're trying to force me to pay for a DVR recorder.  Oh no, sir, never! they said, it's the channels sending a signal, not us.  Just the movie channels?  Well, it's not us.   All I know is, I could record before your techs came and gave me a new box, and now I can't.

So eventually, the lady I spoke with said I could take my new box back to a Time Warner store and exchange it for the same model I had.  I did that, found I could record as I did before, and have jealously maintained a tight grip on that box ever since.

Sounds about right. I remember old threads with people saying TCM blocked them from taping. That never made sense. It's TW because they also tried to pressure me into buying their DVR box ... from which you apparently cannot make copies on disks. I never tried other stations, so you're probably right that it blocks movie stations and probably sports stations.....

Has anyone else had this happen? I used to tape all the time, but after a switch to Time-Warner nothing tapes. The DVD goes through the motions but the disk is blank.....

Does your box have an S-Video out? Does your DVD recorder have an S-Video in? That's how I get around the problem here. As of April 1, Time Warner started flagging the premium channels.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings