Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Documentary Night

Hibi

Surprised no discussion of this. Did anyone watch? I watched the first two. Too bad I couldnt stay up later to see the rest. (DVR is full too). I had never seen Salesman before. Talk about depressing! I had seen the Milk docu. years ago. That was sad too, but inspiring. I remember how shocked I was at the verdict. Shooting 2 men in cold blood and getting out in 4-5 years......The docu had no epilogue, but White killed himself a year or so after getting out of prison.......

I was going to start a thread on this but changed my mind - I'm glad you started one. :)  I was only able to catch the India documentary by Louis Malle and I found the images incredibly powerful.  It struck a somewhat emotional cord in me since I lived there (I've also been to Calcutta).  It was almost hard for me to believe the documentary was filmed in 1969 - the city seems not to have changed at all in almost 40 years.

I watched Salesman and the Milk documentary, and echo Hibi's take on both of them. The Milk film in particular was even better than I might have expected.  I'd seen the Rogosin documentary on Africa in 2013 when they had the Rogosin evening, and that was also first rate.  I recorded Calcutta and Sans Soleil and I look forward to seeing them both.  I only wish that TCM could get the rights to some of those terrific PBS "American Experience" documentaries like Eyes on the Prize and Freedom Riders, because those really are the gold standard of the entire genre.

I watched the first two last night and ended up in such a down mood that I could not watch the Ragosin film again. I've also seen Calcutta but do have Sans Soleil on the DVR.

This is the kind of thing that I wish could be regularly slotted rather than grouped together in one night as they do strike the emotions and one should not go into say the third or fourth film in a block without some time to regain one's composure.

I watched the first two last night and ended up in such a down mood that I could not watch the Ragosin film again. I've also seen Calcutta but do have Sans Soleil on the DVR.

This is the kind of thing that I wish could be regularly slotted rather than grouped together in one night as they do strike the emotions and one should not go into say the third or fourth film in a block without some time to regain one's composure.

LOL. I agree with you there. Would be nice if they scheduled a weekly slot for documentaries, something like The Essentials...

Good point, and well taken.  The only exception I'd make would be for complementary documentaries by the same filmmaker, for instance if Louis Malle had done a followup work on the city then known as Bombay.

Good point, and well taken.  The only exception I'd make would be for complementary documentaries by the same filmmaker, for instance if Louis Malle had done a followup work on the city then known as Bombay.

And that's a good point. Still, I'd have to take a break in the Michael Apted "Up" series of documentaries.

I wonder how they got those people to consent to be filmed in Salesman?? (Especially how some of them looked!) Talk about being under the gun. Trying to resist the sales pitch and being filmed at the same time......Talk about a vanished breed. Wonder if there still are door to door salesmen anymore? (I dont count cable companies. LOL).....

Surprised no discussion of this. Did anyone watch? I watched the first two. Too bad I couldnt stay up later to see the rest. (DVR is full too). I had never seen Salesman before. Talk about depressing! I had seen the Milk docu. years ago. That was sad too, but inspiring. I remember how shocked I was at the verdict. Shooting 2 men in cold blood and getting out in 4-5 years......The docu had no epilogue, but White killed himself a year or so after getting out of prison.......

Apparently this film was released prior to White's suicide; however, I noticed that the film had been restored so I also was surprised that it wasn't added at that point.

I remember when this happened and it was outrageous, especially attributing his downward spiral partially to eating junk food.it was a good documentary.

LOL. I agree with you there. Would be nice if they scheduled a weekly slot for documentaries, something like The Essentials...

I think that that's a great idea Hibi, and one of the better programming suggestions I've read around here lately.

And yeah, I caught only the last half of Milk documentary last night, though I had seen it years ago, and what I saw of it reminded me of how well done it was. 

FYI: the newspaper TV listings in my area gave Salesman one star. I was kind of surprised. I didn't watch it because it looked depressing and I am already depressed as all get out. 

I tried to watch the Milk documentary, but it didn't pull me in and some of the interviewees kind of grated on my nerves. of course, at this point in the summer, I have all of one nerve left.

Sorry I didn't stay with it because I tend to like docs about social injustice and the legal system.

I remember when this happened and it was outrageous, especially attributing his downward spiral partially to eating junk food.

Which became famously known as the "Twinkies defense".

Yes, I remember that too. And it worked.......

Apparently this film was released prior to White's suicide; however, I noticed that the film had been restored so I also was surprised that it wasn't added at that point.

I remember when this happened and it was outrageous, especially attributing his downward spiral partially to eating junk food.it was a good documentary.

Yes, I wondered about that. (the film was made before his suicide)  But it would've been good to add that for young people who may not have been aware of it.......

FYI: the newspaper TV listings in my area gave Salesman one star. I was kind of surprised. I didn't watch it because it looked depressing and I am already depressed as all get out. 

I tried to watch the Milk documentary, but it didn't pull me in and some of the interviewees kind of grated on my nerves. of course, at this point in the summer, I have all of one nerve left.

Sorry I didn't stay with it because I tend to like docs about social injustice and the legal system.

Too bad you didnt stick with it. I felt kind of strange watching Milk, as I remember the 70s well. Felt like a time capsule of sorts (not in a good way)..........

I think that that's a great idea Hibi, and one of the better programming suggestions I've read around here lately.

And yeah, I caught only the last half of Milk documentary last night, though I had seen it years ago, and what I saw of it reminded me of well done it was. 

I think I'll suggest it!

No doubt Salesman is somewhat depressing (though the Bull seems happy

enough), but that's what schadenfreude is for. I'm always interested in the

built-in mantra the salesmen have that everything is their fault and not that

of the territory or the people they are calling on. How many of Paul Brennan's

sentences begin with 'I'm not trying to be negative......' as if there is nothing

wrong with the territory or that the people he is calling on have little interest

in buying his wares. It's all about "attitude," as the sales manager is always

saying. I also got a kick out of everybody smoking like chimneys.

James Baker, the Rabbit, did a short interview in 2000 on NPR which I'm trying

to track down. I've always wondered what happened to these guys ten or

fifteen years after the movie.

Yeah, as so many of the people seemed to be on the brink of insolvency, I wondered why they didnt concentrate on more affluent neighborhoods. I'd be interested in hearing that interview!

The next time TCM shows The Salesman, it should combine it with a premiere showing of Glengarry Glen Ross, one of the great movies of the 90's.  They'd be perfect complements to each other.

LOL. Well Ross would have to be shown early in the morning due to the language. (I think it may hold the record for the use of the F word, but I cant be sure......)  :D

That would make an excellent double bill. GGR was a good film, though I haven't seen it in a

long time. Those salesmen were much more manic and profane than the Bible salesmen.

I listened to the James Baker aka Rabbit interview. It is a fairly by the numbers thing about his

sales techniques. When the Bible business got a little bit slow, he supplemented his income

by selling household products like cookware and bedding. He only got the Bible selling job

after a long period of religious studies--not really. He was hitchhiking to the dog track one day

and the guy who picked him up was a Bible salesman and suggested he get into the business.

The rest is history, sort of.

LOL. Too funny.

The next time TCM shows The Salesman, it should combine it with a premiere showing of Glengarry Glen Ross, one of the great movies of the 90's.  They'd be perfect complements to each other.

LOL. Well Ross would have to be shown early in the morning due to the language. (I think it may hold the record for the use of the F word, but I cant be sure......)   :D

Not even close, though I would've thought so myself.  In fact, according to one scholarly study, it doesn't even make the top 100.  Other than a documentary on the word, The Wolf of Wall Street's 569 uses easily tops the runner-up Summer of Sam's 435.  And poor Goodfellas is way down at 11th place with a mere 300.

The above information has been brought to you by the Joseph I. Breen Memorial Society, and I approve the message. :)

LOL. Well Ross would have to be shown early in the morning due to the language. (I think it may hold the record for the use of the F word, but I cant be sure......)   :D

Not even close, though I would've thought so myself.  In fact, according to one scholarly study, it doesn't even make the top 100.  Other than a documentary on the word, The Wolf of Wall Street's 569 uses easily tops the runner-up Summer of Sam's 435.  And poor Goodfellas is way down at 11th place with a mere 300.

The above information has been brought to you by the Joseph I. Breen Memorial Society, and I approve the message. :)

LMREO. Well it was for me.............