Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actors you acknowledge to be good but you still don't like

Jni4Hargis

I wonder if we can do this nicely.

Here's a place you can voice your unpopular opinions about various actors. Maybe you think they're overrated, maybe you do agree that they actually are good actors, but you just can't like them. Maybe you know why, maybe you can't put your finger on why. Since I started this, I'll step in it first.

Katharine Hepburn. I acknowledge that she was a skilled actress in most of her roles. I don't avoid her movies, but I don't actively seek them. There's just something about her that I don't like.

Here's a place you can voice your unpopular opinions about various actors. Maybe you think they're overrated, maybe you do agree that they actually are good actors, but you just can't like them. Maybe you know why, maybe you can't put your finger on why. Since I started this, I'll step in it first.

Katharine Hepburn. I acknowledge that she was a skilled actress in most of her roles. I don't avoid her movies, but I don't actively seek them. There's just something about her that I don't like.

This topic has come up before and Katharine Hepburn,  along with Bette Davis are fairly popular choices.   I like both of them (Davis is my favorite),  but I can clearly see how Hepburn's persona could get under someone's skin.  

As for my own choice?  I can't really think of anyone.   The only person I can think of is Shirley Winters.    She plays a lot of really annoying characters.    But I do like her because she is so good at playing those type of characters.    So while I want to ring the neck of those characters (E.g. the mother in Lolitia,  the pathetic gal in A Place in the Sun),  I don't feel the same way towards the actress.   

• 2 weeks later...

Alexander Knox was a good actor, but he bores the you-know-what out of me. Zero charisma.

I too, am in the pro-Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis camp.  I love them. 

For good, but I don't like them:

Marlon Brando.  Of the films of his I've seen, he's done a good job.  However, I just can't get over his lack of enunciation when he speaks.  The only time when his mumbling sort of works is in The Godfather.  His voice is grating after awhile-- not sexy at all.

Joan Crawford. Except for in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Joan gets on my nerves.  I don't know what it is about her.  She bothers me.  Although, now that I think of it, in addition to 'Baby Jane,' I also really liked her in The Women.  She was great as "the other woman."

Miriam Hopkins. Can't stand her. 

I agree with jamesjazzguitar's choice of Shelley Winters.  Her characters are irritating; but her portrayal of them are good.  However, I don't go out of my way to see a "Shelley Winters" film.  The only role she had that I found entertaining was as Roseanne's grandmother, Nana Mary, on Roseanne.

I probably have more; but can't think of them right now.  There are actors I straight out dislike; but I dislike them because I think they are terrible; so I don't think they deserve a mention on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Ingrid Bergman.  No matter how pathetic her character (and they are always pathetic).  She just irritates me.

The men that irritate me are not quite so far back - Peter Sellers, Tony Curtis.  Why is Tony Curtis good, for that matter?  I don't know that I can acknowledge that, lol.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ronald Reagan-  I'm open to seeing more of his films, and maybe I fall into the logical fallacy of looking at him from his political career moreso than his acting career, although both leave much to be desired from this working class individual. 

John Wayne- there are five films of of his I have seen, and I'm open to seeing more of his films as well. He's just himself in everything and only acted in five films. By that I mean, actually acted in that span of years he was in film. 

Usually, if I am hesitant to see a film by a star I am hesitant of, I usually challenge myself to see them anyway out of fairness to the individual, and because it could be a good film. 

I used to be hesitant towards Doris Day films because of the reputation of them being perky, but having seen a couple of her films, and her television show, I do want to see more of her work. 

Old School:  Robert Paige who I saw in Split Second  earlier this weeks.  Until a few years ago I only knew him from hosting Schlitz Playhouse in the early 50's and playing the TV producer in Bye Bye Birdie.  I've since seen about four other of his films, including the one where he was Deanna Durbin's leading man, but he's just too bland for me.

Today:  George Clooney.  I admire his love of live TV and attempts to bring it back and his willingness to stand up for his political beliefs even though I disagree with many of them.  That charming boy/man image he tries to project most of the time doesn't work for me. 

Incidentally, after all those nice girls we saw Alexis Smith play her role as the selfish, conniving and unfaithful wife in Split Second was real proof she could act.  What was unbelievable was that she'd leave Richard Egan for Paige.  Then I remembered she'd also played Clayton's vicious and unhinged sister who tried to kill "Miss Ellie" on Dallas rather than see them marry.  She deserved her day. 

First name that comes to mind is Joan Crawford.

She was unquestionably capable of great performances (Sudden Fear, Baby Jane, as examples).

But she still creeps me out, generally speaking. I've always been somewhat repelled.

A more recent celebrated actress I have that problem with is Holly Hunter. I've never been able to warm up to her - there's just something that turns me right off.

The reason I don't name stars like John Wayne or Charlton Heston is because they don't qualify for the "acknowledge to be good" part of the topic - although they definitely fit the "still don't like" part. I think they were extremely limited actors, to put it as kindly as possible.

Archived