Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE BIG PARADE (1925) on TCM Tonight!

gagman66

Yesterday was John Gilbert's Birthday July 10th so TCM is a day late, but for only the second time since last September 25th the newly restored version of King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE (1925), my all time favorite movie is on the schedule. 12 15 A.M.- 11:15 P.M, Central time this evening. While TCM has some clips up, they are from the older Thames Silents version originally produced back in 1985 for British Television. TCM hasn't updated the clips from either THE BIG PARADE or WINGS to the newer restorations. If you have never seen THE BIG PARADE before be sure to set you DVR, or DVD recorder. THE BIG PARADE was the highest grossing film of the 1920's by a significant margin and is not nearly as famous or well known  today as it deserves to be. Without the blockbuster success of THE BIG PARADE, films like WINGS and ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT would never have been made at the time. Probably not until decades later. To me THE BIG PARADE is the superior film to either one of them. Thus it is not to be missed.

PHOTO_19181260_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday was John Gilbert's Birthday July 10th so TCM is a day late, but for only the second time since last September 25th the newly restored version of King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE (1925), my all time favorite movie is on the schedule. 12 15 A.M.- 11:15 P.M, Central time this evening. While TCM has some clips up, they are from the older Thames Silents version originally produced back in 1985 for British Television. TCM hasn't updated the clips from either THE BIG PARADE or WINGS to the newer restorations. If you have never seen THE BIG PARADE before be sure to set you DVR, or DVD recorder. THE BIG PARADE was the highest grossing film of the 1920's by a significant margin and is not nearly as famous or well known  today as it deserves to be. Without the blockbuster success of THE BIG PARADE, films like WINGS and ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT would never have been made at the time. Probably not until decades later. To me THE BIG PARADE is the superior film to either one of them. Thus it is not to be missed.

PHOTO_19181260_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

It's already part of my video collection. I recorded it from TCM about 3 years ago.

hamradio,

The new restoration wasn't shown on TCM until last September 1st. And it wasn't on DVD until October of last year. So if you recorded it 3 years ago, you don't have the 2004 Warner Brothers/George Eastman House restoration which took 8 years to make it to TCM as well as DVD and Blu-ray.

I know I am late replying to this topic but just wanted to say thanks to gagman66 for commenting on THE BIG PARADE.  It's not my all time favorite movie, but it is up there and I think it is one of the best war flicks ever and I love John Glibert so, of course, I love the movie and I did watch it Friday.  I bought it on VHS several years ago.  Anyway, I appreciate your appreciation and I'm sure others do as well.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings