Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Peeping Tom (1960)

darkblue

Can this be true? TCM's listing this as an 86 minute movie - the butchered cut. It's correct running time of 101 minutes is now the standard - it's been available on Region 1 DVD for years.

What gives? Will TCM really run the censored version in October?

Can this be true? TCM's listing this as an 86 minutes movie - the butchered cut. It's correct running time of 101 minutes is now the standard - it's been available on Region 1 DVD for years.

What gives? Will TCM really run the censored version in October?

Maybe the prime cut is too expensive.  :lol:

db, I saw Peeping Tom a few years ago. I can't even remember if it was on TCM or a DVD I rented (yes, I rented movies back then - still do sometimes, actually !) Nor can I recall its length, but since I'd never seen it before and had not looked up the running time, I probably wouldn't have noticed if it was a cut version or not.

I will say, it was just as creepy as the title implies. Creepy and peepy (sorry couldn't resist.)

I wanted to see it because it's listed in the book of "Cult Films" I've got (by Danny Peary), and at one time I had an ambition to see every single movie listed in that book.

Anyway, it's very much an "underground" movie, as I'm sure you already know. Very strange and disturbing, but also compelling. 

I watched 'Peeping Tom' on a rental DVD about 5 years ago - it was the uncensored 101 minute version, with extra features on the disc. It was a fascinating watch.

I didn't have the ability back then to make a personal copy of the disc and so my collection is missing it. The rental source I used no longer has it for rent, darn it. So, when I saw it scheduled on TCM I got pretty excited that I'd be able to record the movie (without the extra features - but what the hey, the movie's the thing). Then I clicked on it and saw TCM's running time listed at 86 minutes. My heart sank.

I have a huge problem with edited material.

The version being shown on TCM is the American "cut" version at 86 minutes (according to IMDB).

Again, a problem for the TCM programming department not getting the whole version that is available. Unless of course the programming people could not get that version. Stranger things have happened. Although VP of Programming Charlie Tabesh has said in the past that TCM often gets the wrong version simply because the distributor sends them the wrong version.

Not saying the programmers are wrong but I would say that some people around here would only complain that the TCM programming people are always wrong and or are always at fault for acquiring the wrong version of the film, when some of the time the wrong version is sent by the distributor.

Holy Cow!!

I decided to have another look at the October schedule to see if TCM had at least left 'Peeping Tom' in a 1 hour and 45 minutes slot (as opposed to a 90 minute slot) so I could at least hope that there is a possibility for the full version, fit-wise.

And the version now showing in the schedule is said to be 102 minutes and it's scheduled into a 2 hour slot!!

i was looking at the Oct schedule and when i looked up Peeping Tom, TCM (now) lists the running time as 102 minutes. it's also blocked on the schedule for two hours, so i guess the "original" film will be shown in its entirety. and yes, it's still scheduled for an afternoon showing on Saturday, Oct 4 at 3 PM edt.

The version being shown on TCM is the American "cut" version at 86 minutes (according to IMDB).

Again, a problem for the TCM programming department not getting the whole version that is available. Unless of course the programming people could not get that version. Stranger things have happened. Although VP of Programming Charlie Tabesh has said in the past that TCM often gets the wrong version simply because the distributor sends them the wrong version.

Not saying the programmers are wrong but I would say that some people around here would only complain that the TCM programming people are always wrong and or are always at fault for acquiring the wrong version of the film, when some of the time the wrong version is sent by the distributor.

Tcm totes itself as film aficionadoes to the public. Shouldn't they then be making a conscious attempt to be sure they are getting the right versions of films that they want? That is what I would expect from an outfit like tcm who are always singing their own praises.  :)

Tcm totes itself as film aficionadoes to the public. Shouldn't they be making a conscious attempt to be getting the right versions of films? That is what I would expect from an outfit like tcm who are always singing their own praises.  :)

TCM does not tote themselves like this. At least if you are going to write this, please have factual evidence to support this type of statement.

If you would simply go back and look at other threads that have been written about this topic, then you will see that the reasons for why this can happen is not entirely TCM's fault. I am NOT saying TCM is totally not at fault. What I am saying is that they shoulder some of the responsibility.

Could they do better? Sure they could. But with the limited programming staff they have and the amount of time required to lease films months out from their schedule times can be quite daunting. You and some others here think that leasing films is an easy task when it is not. TCM is not the only cable channel that has to lease films. Heck, even ME-TV and the other so-called "classic" television channels that are now being viewed are in competition with one another. Surely you are aware of this aren't you?

It has been explained often from VP of Programming Charlie Tabesh that his staff tries very hard to get the correct version f the film. In many cases when they do make the programming decision to acquire certain films, whomever the distributor is sometime sends TCM the wrong version. This happens. Not often but when you are leasing films that are being shown months from the current month, mistakes can and will happen. I would just say this: TCM and whomever the distributor is of a film that is mistakenly listed on the schedule as having a running time that is NOT the time that it should be, or a film that is colorized and not B&W, or a film that is not the right screen ratio, one could say that both TCM and the distributor is at fault.

Is this a perfect world?

TCM does not tote themselves like this. At least if you are going to write this, please have factual evidence to support this type of statement.

If you would simply go back and look at other threads that have been written about this topic, then you will see that the reasons for why this can happen is not entirely TCM's fault. I am NOT saying TCM is totally not at fault. What I am saying is that they shoulder some of the responsibility.

Could they do better? Sure they could. But with the limited programming staff they have and the amount of time required to lease films months out from their schedule times can be quite daunting. You and some others here think that leasing films is an easy task when it is not. TCM is not the only cable channel that has to lease films. Heck, even ME-TV and the other so-called "classic" television channels that are now being viewed are in competition with one another. Surely you are aware of this aren't you?

It has been explained often from VP of Programming Charlie Tabesh that his staff tries very hard to get the correct version f the film. In many cases when they do make the programming decision to acquire certain films, whomever the distributor is sometime sends TCM the wrong version. This happens. Not often but when you are leasing films that are being shown months from the current month, mistakes can and will happen. I would just say this: TCM and whomever the distributor is of a film that is mistakenly listed on the schedule as having a running time that is NOT the time that it should be, or a film that is colorized and not B&W, or a film that is not the right screen ratio, one could say that both TCM and the distributor is at fault.

Is this a perfect world?

Well, I wouldn't accept a butchered print. I'd send it back and tell 'em to get their heads outta their derry airs. :D

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings