Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Messageboards Closing in on the 1,000,000 Post Mark

Guest obrienmundy

Shadow banning is banning a poster without informing them of it. Their profile, posts and messages are visible to them (the banned individual) only - not visible to others. 

Do you prefer ban-happy mods or more lenient mods?

I believe that a balanced approach might be best. An admonishment at times will work wonders often. I feel that when a standard admonishment does not correct a situation then it is time for fist-of-god righteousness. I would ban them, file a complaint with their ISP and then search all that they have ever posted to see if a charge of copyright-violation could be brought. 

I believe that a balanced approach might be best. An admonishment at times will work wonders often. I feel that when a standard admonishment does not correct a situation then it is time for fist-of-god righteousness. I would ban them, file a complaint with their ISP and then search all that they have ever posted to see if a charge of copyright-violation could be brought. 

Wow. What on earth did they do?

Shadow banning is banning a poster without informing them of it. Their profile, posts and messages are visible to them (the banned individual) only - not visible to others. 

So their soul dies slowly from lack of responses. That's downright satanic.

• Like 1

It was explained to me that they remain visible also to others who have been shadow-banned. It is in that way that they can continue their activities with folk of their own ilk while invisible and harmless to the community-at-large. It is said that some moderators using false usernames will engage with those who are newly shadow-banned to lead them to threads of others who are shadow-banned. 

It is this continued interaction with at least a few other posters which prevents them from realizing that they are shadow-banned.

I know that it is very perverse that I love the level of insidiousness of this! :)

• Like 1

It was explained to me that they remain visible also to others who have been shadow-banned. It is in that way that they can continue their activities with folk of their own ilk while invisible and harmless to the community-at-large. It is said that some moderators using false usernames will engage with those who are newly shadow-banned to lead them to threads of others who are shadow-banned. 

It is this continued interaction with at least a few other posters which prevents them from realizing that they are shadow-banned.

Well, that's not quite as satanic as the no-response limbo. At least there's some company in the cornfield.

Still, gotta wonder about the psychopathy at work in such a "moderator".

I know that it is very perverse that I love the level of insidiousness of this! :)

It sounds like a leper colony!

It sounds like a leper colony!

It is that except that lepers are innocent victims of disease and those who are shadow-banned are guilty of crimes against the forum community which warrant the most extreme measures.

I should note that the forum moderators of the forum on which I learned of shadow-banning deny that they shadow-ban posters. 

Can't help but wonder who will have the honour of making that one millionth post.

Sit by your computer, 24 hours a day, waiting to pounce, and it could be you.. The poster who does the millionth post gets the prize of getting to post whatever he or she wants, for a month, with no risk of warning points.

Sit by your computer, 24 hours a day, waiting to pounce, and it could be you.. The poster who does the millionth post gets the prize of getting to post whatever he or she wants, for a month, with no risk of warning points.

Yes, but will the other posters be kind and gentle to the winner? :D