Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Crying Elephant

I suspect I'm the guilty party who went way off topic.

Here's a story about the same group who rescued the "crying elephant."  They're now trying to rescue another begging elephant, Mohan:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3010826/Pictured-shocking-moment-angry-mob-STOPS-animal-rescuers-treating-abused-performing-elephant.html

Disheartening that a crowd of people prevented the elephant rescue, that crowd manipulated by the animal's owner, according to the article. Hopefully, Mohan will be rescued in a future attempt by the Wildlife SOS people.

Thanks for posting this, GayD. Maybe we'll hear a postive followup in the future.

I'm sure most of us have a benevolent attitude towards animals.  Hell, I still get teary when I look out at night and see the solar lights burning on my Shih-Tzu's grave!

But, how elephants are treated on the other side of the globe, where I have little influence and/or ability to DO something about it is of no great interest to me.

Isn't my monthly $50.00 contribution to the ASPCA enough?

Sepiatone

I'm sure most of us have a benevolent attitude towards animals.  Hell, I still get teary when I look out at night and see the solar lights burning on my Shih-Tzu's grave!

But, how elephants are treated on the other side of the globe, where I have little influence and/or ability to DO something about it is of no great interest to me.

Isn't my monthly $50.00 contribution to the ASPCA enough?

Sepiatone

Contributing $50 a month to the ASPCA is more than most do, Sepiatone. Glad you care enough to do that.

And I lost a shih tzu, too, and still, on occasion, pull out photos that I have of him. A wonderful little companion. I filled a few buckets with tears over him.

Thanks very much for that video, Jake. Watching this family care for a newborn baby, it's no wonder people can make a connection with them.

You're welcome. Elephants are highly intelligent beings.

No Animals Were Harmed: The Unique Perspective of “White God”

http://www.rogerebert.com/balder-and-dash/no-animals-were-harmed-the-unique-perspective-of-white-god

Thanks very much for posting this link, mr6666. We all have to be concerned about the treatment of animals in the movies, especially since the AHA's endorsement of some films is being called into question.

I'm a dog lover, though, and, from Ebert's description of White God, I can't envision myself ever watching the film. It would be too much for me to handle.

Here's a trailer for THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, John Huston's 1958 adaption of the Romain Gary novel about an idealist's plight to try to prevent the extinction of the African elephant. The film was shot on location under extremely harsh conditions for cast and crew in what was then French Equatorial Africa.

"Roots" was dismissed by the critics at the time of its release and a box office bomb. Huston would later dismiss his film, as well. It has a small group of admirers, though, who regard it as superior to its reputation.

It has been released by Fox on Blu Ray in what is apparently a quite beautiful print (which I have not seen as I do not collect that format).

[media]

[media]

Off hand, I can't think of any other films addressing the issue of elephant extinction, though I'm ready to be corrected on that. The subject matter is rather unique for a major Hollywood production.

Here's a trailer for THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN, John Huston's 1958 adaption of the Romain Gary novel about an idealist's plight to try to prevent the extinction of the African elephant. The film was shot on location under extremely harsh conditions for cast and crew in what was then French Equatorial Africa.

"Roots" was dismissed by the critics at the time of its release and a box office bomb. Huston would later dismiss his film, as well. It has a small group of admirers, though, who regard it as superior to its reputation.

It has been released by Fox on Blu Ray in what is apparently a quite beautiful print (which I have not seen as I do not collect that format).

Off hand, I can't think of any other films addressing the issue of elephant extinction, though I'm ready to be corrected on that. The subject matter is rather unique for a major Hollywood production.

Somehow I've missed this movie--I wonder if TCM has shown it.   

I think my love for elephants dates from the Tarzan movies.  Now, there was an early conservationist!  When I was a kid they were shown on TV every other Saturday afternoon, alternating with Shirley Temple.  

Somehow I've missed this movie--I wonder if TCM has shown it.   

I think my love for elephants dates from the Tarzan movies.  Now, there was an early conservationist!  When I was a kid they were shown on TV every other Saturday afternoon, alternating with Shirley Temple.  

TCM has not shown Roots of Heaven, GayD, though I believe that the Fox Channel has. The film has some philosophical musings, too, comparing the extinction of the elephant (thanks to man) to that of man himself with the nuclear arms race (though the concentration of the film is strictly upon the big beasts).

Ah, the charm of those Tarzan films. I spent many a happy, idle afternoon in my youth listening to Johnny Weissmuller's "Ungawa!" command to elephants and other inhabitants of the jungle, ungawa seeming to mean everything from "let's have an elephant stampede of that native village where they're holding Jane captive" to "Cheetah, stop doing that!"

And it was the first of the Weissmuller Tarzans, 1932's Tarzan the Ape Man, that has a moment in which a villain mortally wounds an elephant so that the limping beast will lead him and his party of the mythical elephant burial grounds, so that they had poach all the ivory. This, in turn, takes us in a complete circle since, on a far more serious level, Roots of Heaven deals with a man's attempt to stop the ivory poachers that are decimating elephant populations.

• Like 1