Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Crying Elephant

Thanks, GayD. It's wonderful that Raju appears to be living the good life now. And with all those mangos you say that he has (a friend once told me that there was nothing quite as sweet and delicious as a mango from India), I'm more than a little envious.

• 3 weeks later...

One ton of illegal elephant ivory crushed in Times Square.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/19/us-crushes-blood-ivory-in-new-yorks-times-square

Thanks very much for the article, ham.

Here's an eye popping paragraph that I copied from it:

The global poaching trade is at its highest in decades, with tens of thousands of African elephants killed every year – more than 100,000 between 2011 and 2014. According to the USFWS, the slaughter outstrips the rate at which the species can reproduce. Experts have warned that there could be as little as five years left to save elephants from extinction in the wild.

Thanks very much for the article, ham.

Here's an eye popping paragraph that I copied from it:

The global poaching trade is at its highest in decades, with tens of thousands of African elephants killed every year – more than 100,000 between 2011 and 2014. According to the USFWS, the slaughter outstrips the rate at which the species can reproduce. Experts have warned that there could be as little as five years left to save elephants from extinction in the wild.

Five years in the wild, just obscene.

Sometime In the late 1980s I read a Los Angeles Times article about the elephant slaughter for ivory, and how it was sold in the U.S.  I photocopied the article and took it to several department stores selling ivory jewelry.  I remember one manager in Nordstrom saying, "But there's a demand by our customers for ivory."  I wonder if they'd still want it, knowing the agony the elephants suffer by poachers, not to mention the possibility of extinction.  I felt so helpless and sad then, but now fear there's no hope.  

I don't see any need for the use for ivory since man made substitutes are available.

http://www.chemheritage.org/discover/media/magazine/articles/29-3-celluloid-the-eternal-substitute.aspx

Legal trade of ivory from already dead elephants (from natural causes) is OK but it seem to have failed in the long run.  One think legal ivory be profitable since it be more rare - harder to obtain.. 

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/counterpoint_the_case_against_a_legal_ivory_trade_it_will_lead_to_more_killing_of_elephants/2815/

Mammoth ivory is also OK since the animal is already extinct, but has some issues as well (regulation wise)

http://makezine.com/2012/03/29/how-to-tell-mammoth-ivory-from-elephant-ivory/

This is recovered mammoth ivory.

Mammoth_Ivory_Tusk8.jpg

Tomorrow marks the rescue of Raju, the "crying elephant."  Since then he has put on 1,000 pounds, most of his wounds have healed, and he takes long naps submerged in his pond.  He's a new elephant. 

Thank you for your original post, Tom.  It's nice to read good news. 

• Like 3

4876355257_91d85311ac_z.jpgRotterdam's Zoo "Blijdorp" announced the welcome addition of another Asian Elephant, a girl named "Faya", on Tuesday evening 20 July, 2010. The calf weighed in at 75 kg but zoo authorities say baby elephant was, "on the small side". Despite its small size, the baby elephant was up on its feet and suckling less than two hours after birth.

• Like 2

8197975728_c4f822fab9_c.jpgTwo bulls fighting one another. Rarely, is there a serious injury or death to either combatant. But there is a winner who will be the one to mate with the females. Ol Tukai, Rift Valley, Kenya

• Like 1