Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bus Stop

NipkowDisc

Listening to Osborne's intro to Bus Stop was infuriating. Everything outta his mouth was Marilyn Monroe. And you know that Drew Barrymore is just gonna parrot everything he says. Don't Osborne realize that viewers actually watch these films after he's thru talkin'?

Hell, I'm powerful glad Bo rips her tail off! :lol: 

6ezq89.jpg

Listening to Osborne's intro to Bus Stop was infuriating. Everything outta his mouth was Marilyn Monroe. And you know that Drew Barrymore is just gonna parrot everything he says. Don't Osborne realize that viewers actually watch these films after he's thru talkin'?

It would be interesting to hear Robert's intro of the Telugu (Indian) version of "Bus Stop"

bus-stop-02.jpg

Don't want to interrupt the discussion, since I too would like to hear more from the original poster.

* commercial message here *

For those that might have missed it, David Kalat recently posted a detailed article about Marilyn and Bus Stop on the Movie Morlocks blog.  See:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2014/06/14/marilyn-monroe-2-0/

* and now back to our regularly scheduled discussion *

It is a little-known fact that the popular song by the Hollies was inspired by the Joshua Logan film.

Ten years after the movie's release, the British Invasion band was hanging out together in Graham Nash's home, watching the late show, which was featuring Bus Stop that night.

They were so impressed, they wrote the hit song on the spot, as the credits were still rolling.

Of course, for copyright reasons, they changed the time, place, and characters in the song.

• Like 2

Could you specify why discussing only Marilyn Monroe prior to showing a movie that was clearly meant to be a star vehicle for her is upsetting to you? I'm unclear as to  what else you would be expecting ...

Yes, I don't see how the original poster thought Marilyn Monroe would not be the primary focus in a discussion about BUS STOP, especially during one of the brief introductions that appear before the movies shown on TCM.

Monroe's performance of "That Old Black Magic" in BUS STOP is one of the most memorable sequences ever to appear in a movie.

Her emotional honesty during that sequence and throughout BUS STOP is incredibly captivating.

• Like 1

Because it is plainly obvious to anyone who has watched Bus Stop that it is Don Murray's energetic and hilarious performance as lovesick cowboy Bo Decker that is the highlight of the film; that and Joshua Logan's direction.

Gimme a break. Any bimbo-esque actress coulda played Cherie. :)

Plus I think that most viewers are gonna root for the underdog in a romantic comedy which I assume Bus Stop is. So viewers are gonna be rootin' for Bo to finally melt the heart of the selfish bimbo Cherie. which, strangely enough, is what finally happens.

But of course Miss Monroe was good in her own right....she hadda be to match the energy of Murray's performance.  :)

no one here has mentioned Osborne committed a rare diss last night, claiming that he found Don Murray "irritating" in the film.

I was surprised, especially since Murray is still alive, and I disagree. I think he's every bit as terrific (and sexy) as Monroe and I think his Oscar nod for supporting actor (while a bit odd since he's in about 97% of the film) was nonetheless really well deserved.

no one here has mentioned Osborne committed a rare diss last night, claiming that he found Don Murray "irritating" in the film.

I was surprised, especially since Murray is still alive, and I disagree. I think he's every bit as terrific (and sexy) as Monroe and I think his Oscar nod for supporting actor (while a bit odd since he's in about 97% of the film) was nonetheless really well deserved.

Very well said.

...Plus I think that most viewers are gonna root for the underdog in a romantic comedy which I assume Bus Stop is. So viewers are gonne be rootin' for Bo to finally melt the heart of the selfish bimbo Cherie. which, strangely enough, is what finally happens.

But of course Miss Monroe was good in her own right....she hadda be to match the energy of Murray's performance.  :)

I dunno about that. I like Don Murray, and I like both his character and the way Don plays him in Bus Stop.

"That said", I would have to say that I think defining "Cherie" as a "selfish bimbo" is inaccurate and unfair. In what way is she selfish? Because she doesn't like Bo trying to claim her, like some kind of prize, before he's even attempted to get to know her? She's selfish because she initially rejects a guy who thinks he can have her if he lassos her?

The only reason Bo's extremely aggressive advances are not off-putting to the point where we dislike him is because it's obvious he's an extremely inexperienced and unsophisticated young man who simply doesn't know any better. And of course, at no point does he hurt or threaten to hurt Cherie.

I disagree that any actress could have played this "bimbo". Cherie and Bo have this in common:  they're both outwardly dumb, simple people who in fact have depth and ideas (well, Cherie, anyway) beyond what they appear.

Cherie is a sensitive, vulnerable character. Whoever plays her has to combine that vulnerability with a sense of their inner strength (she won't take abuse from people, she openly objects to the risks of the rodeo, etc.). I think only Monroe could have done this right.

Two of my favourite lines in the film, both of them Cherie's:

"Ah told you, mah name's Cher-ree !"  and

"Gimme back mah tay-el !"

• Like 3

Well, I always thought Murray's character was a bit irritating.  That was the large part of his character's charm;  his unbridled enthusiasm despite the odds.

Sepiatone

Right! :D  Bo spends the whole film irritating his little heifer Cherie.That is why I never miss a showing of Bus Stop. It's hilarious! :lol:

*I* am not sure it qualifies as an "Essential" (it's a good movie and one of Marilyn Monroe's best films), but what the hell, I don't decide those things at TCM.

All it takes to be an essential is for a movie to be one in the opinion of one of the hosts.

• Like 1

I dunno about that. I like Don Murray, and I like both his character and the way Don plays him in Bus Stop.

"That said", I would have to say that I think defining "Cherie" as a "selfish bimbo" is inaccurate and unfair. In what way is she selfish? Because she doesn't like Bo trying to claim her, like some kind of prize, before he's even attempted to get to know her? She's selfish because she initially rejects a guy who thinks he can have her if he lassos her?

The only reason Bo's extremely aggressive advances are not off-putting to the point where we dislike him is because it's obvious he's an extremely inexperienced and unsophisticated young man who simply doesn't know any better. And of course, at no point does he hurt or threaten to hurt Cherie.

I disagree that any actress could have played this "bimbo". Cherie and Bo have this in common:  they're both outwardly dumb, simple people who in fact have depth and ideas (well, Cherie, anyway) beyond what they appear.

Cherie is a sensitive, vulnerable character. Whoever plays her has to combine that vulnerability with a sense of their inner strength (she won't take abuse from people, she openly objects to the risks of the rodeo, etc.). I think only Monroe could have done this right.

Two of my favourite lines in the film, both of them Cherie's:

"Ah told you, mah name's Cher-ree !"  and

"Gimme back mah tay-el !"

You're right, of course. I just find Bus Stop a very funny film and don't really get into the deep stuff.

I agree that Don Murray pulls off the character of Bo Decker.

The character is irritating and almost unbelievable, but Don Murray somehow makes him seem like a real person (albeit an often exasperating one) in the context of the story. 

And, yes, he is able to match Marilyn Monroe's sexiness ---- probably the only one of her co-stars who was able to do so.

As for Murray's Supporting Actor Oscar nomination, actors are able to chose whether to be considered for nomination in the lead or supporting category so often they will be advised to go for the category where they have the best chances of winning.

Jennifer Hudson, for example, had the lead in DREAMGIRLS (even though Beyoncé's role was beefed up for the movie adaptation of the stage play), but she competed and won in the Supporting Actress category.

River Phoenix competed in the Supporting Actor category for RUNNING ON EMPTY even though he had the lead role in that movie. He was likely advised not to compete in the lead category because of his age.

• Like 1

I like both his character and the way Don plays him in Bus Stop.

Really??

Bo strikes me as a socially re tarded, sexist a-hole who in real life would've gone to prison - and it would've been a better movie if he had.

But this was 1956 and the idea of a woman being able to make her own decisions about her life when there was a man available to own her was wrong to a whole lot of people. Marilyn is the only one I like in 'Bus Stop' and I'll always be disappointed in her character's eventual capitulation to the kidnapper.

Really??

Bo strikes me as a socially re tarded, sexist a-hole who in real life would've gone to prison - and it would've been a better movie if he had.

But this was 1954 and the idea of a woman being able to make her own decisions about her life when there was a man available to own her was wrong to a whole lot of people. Marilyn is the only one I like in 'Bus Stop' and I'll always be disappointed in her character's eventual capitulation to the kidnapper.

I don't like that ending either as it seemed phony. I woulda liked Cherie to have broken down after Ranger Corey beats our hero Bo up and even apologize for puttin' Bo thru such an ordeal to win her.  :D

I don't like that ending either as it seemed phony. I woulda liked Cherie to have broken down after Ranger Corey beats him up and even apologize for puttin' Bo thru such an ordeal to win her.  :D

I woulda liked to have seen Bo arrested and sentenced to 20 years in prison for kidnapping and unlawful confinement. Now, that woulda been a good ending.

• Like 1

I woulda liked to have seen Bo arrested and sentenced to 20 years in prison for kidnapping and unlawful confinement. Now, that woulda been a good ending.

Hey yeah! She gets to thinkin' about Bo in prison and every waking moment for her is torture! She has taken away his freedom...for what? For his liking her?  :lol:

Really??

But this was 1954 and the idea of a woman being able to make her own decisions about her life when there was a man available to own her was wrong to a whole lot of people. Marilyn is the only one I like in 'Bus Stop' and I'll always be disappointed in her character's eventual capitulation to the kidnapper.

Well, my earlier post did acknowledge that he was unacceptably aggressive towards her. I think we're supposed to think that, as I suggested in that post, he's simply extremely unsophisticated and doesn't know any better. And I did point out that Cherie does not tolerate his behaviour.

Also, I have to be honest here: I did not watch it last night, last time I saw it was a few years ago. So my memory of exactly how aggressive Bo was is a bit sketchy.

It is a little-known fact that the popular song by the Hollies was inspired by the Joshua Logan film.

Ten years after the movie's release, the British Invasion band was hanging out together in Graham Nash's home, watching the late show, which was featuring Bus Stop that night.

They were so impressed, they wrote the hit song on the spot, as the credits were still rolling.

Of course, for copyright reasons, they changed the time, place, and characters in the song.

The Hollies also did "Carousel". I wonder if that was inspired by the guys seeing the Gordon MacRae-Shirley Jones film.

NipkowDisc, what is with you? The way you talk, you sound as though you think Cherie is to blame because she doesn't like being treated like a thing, lassoed and abducted and so forth.

In what way is this unacceptable? You think it's ok for men to just "go after" a woman they find attractive the way Bo does? And if the woman doesn't like it, that makes her "selfish" or mean?

I know you will say you just think the film is "funny", and you don't take it seriously. And up to a point, you're right.

But it seems as though your sympathies lie entirely with Bo, and that you think Cherie's objections to the way he sees her ("little heifer"? really?) are unfair. That's just a little odd, especially given how much attitudes about women and their right to independence have changed (rightly so) since the movie was made.

I think that, while overall, we are supposed to like Bo, we're also supposed to find his treatment of Cherie repellant. Until he learns better (some doubt there...)

It came off as a variant of the Stockholm Syndrome, and I couldn't agree more. I could barely sit through Bus Stop the first time I watched it, and having viewed the last half of it again last night, there was nothing in it to make me change my mind. It may have only been Cave Man / Cave Girl Lite as opposed to Lee Marvin-scale misogyny,  but the whole undertone was positively creepy.

But as you say, this was 1954, and the only thing that would have gotten Pope Breen's attention would have been if Bo and Marilyn had announced that they were going to skip the wedding ceremony, and were heading off to live a life of UNMARRIED SIN

OTOH this is one of the many reasons I love to watch a wide variety of films from past decades, even a piece of c r a p like Bus Stop:  There's no better way to see what the cultural assumptions of Production Code America really were, underneath the pious platitudes. For that reason alone, I'm glad I didn't simply pass it up.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings