Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mourning Becomes Elektra

carrowsboy

Have been keeping a look out for this Ros Russell film for months now.

Any idea when they'll air it again?

I know it is not as important a film as "The Baby" (which requires multiple airings) but I'd love to see this film without breaking down and purchasing the DVD.

Have been keeping a look out for this Ros Russell film for months now.

Any idea when they'll air it again?

I know it is not as important a film as "The Baby" (which requires multiple airings) but I'd love to see this film without breaking down and purchasing the DVD.

1947 RKO picture so it shouldn't be difficult for TCM to lease this film.    So use the suggest the movie feature.   I'm a big fan of Russell and while I like her comic timing and therefore the comedies she is in she was very versatile.

1947 RKO picture so it shouldn't be difficult for TCM to lease this film.    So use the suggest the movie feature.   I'm a big fan of Russell and while I like her comic timing and therefore the comedies she is in she was very versatile.

A weird film. Wife poisons civil war general husband then son and daughter murder wife's lover. Russell then boards herself up for the rest of her life in her dead family's house which is now a monument to evil.

But it was fun Kirk Douglas tellin' her where to go. 

But I don't think I wanna sit thru this one again. 

Makes Cat on a Hot Tin Roof look like a disney family film. :)

72sqc0.jpg

TCM should show this again.  I remember reading in one of my film reference books that Roz Russell was considered a shoo-in for the Oscar for her role here and it was a big surprise when Loretta Young won for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER.  Maybe TCM could run both movies back-to-back on Oscar month and viewers could judge for themselves.

I think it's been four or five years since TCM broadcast it. It's rather long, around three hours-- but it deserves another viewing and a better reputation. I think they are all good in it. Although, in my estimation, Katina Paxinou is the one to watch. 

I think it's been four or five years since TCM broadcast it. It's rather long, around three hours-- but it deserves another viewing and a better reputation. I think they are all good in it. Although, in my estimation, Katina Paxinou is the one to watch. 

I would probably watch it again just to remind myself how unrelentingly somber it is. You won't find the Days of 1880s NYC around that place. :D

TCM should show this again.  I remember reading in one of my film reference books that Roz Russell was considered a shoo-in for the Oscar for her role here and it was a big surprise when Loretta Young won for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER. Maybe TCM could run both movies back-to-back on Oscar month and viewers could judge for themselves.

That's actually a very intriguing idea there Christine, but what say we take this idea to the next logical step:

Perhaps a new TCM series where it would present a block of films which feature the actors and actresses who where nominated for their performances in the same category and in the same year? Possibly including the Supporting Role categories, also? And then as you said, the viewer could decide for themselves who they thought the Oscar should have gone to.

Does anyone know if TCM has ever done this in the past? 

That's actually a very intriguing idea there Christine, but what say we take this idea to the next logical step:

Perhaps a new TCM series where it would present a block of films which feature the actors and actresses who where nominated for the performances in the same category and in the same year? Possibly including the Support Role categories, also? And then as you said, the viewer could decide for themselves who they thought the Oscar should have gone to.

Does anyone know if TCM has ever done this in the past? 

TCM just did this last February during Oscar month.    e.g.  one night would be the best actress nominations for a given year.

Yeah, Dargo and James, TCM did do this last time but not with MOURNING and FARMER'S.  They could do this again with other controversial Oscar picks and discuss it.  Example:  Rod Steiger in PAWNBROKER and Lee Marvin in CAT BALLOU but I think I'm getting off topic here.

TCM just did this last February during Oscar month.    e.g.  one night would be the best actress nominations for a given year.

Thanks, James. Ya know, after I entered that, the thought that TCM had done this somewhere along the line and possibly during their Oscar month series crossed my mind.

Yeah, Dargo and James, TCM did do this last time but not with MOURNING and FARMER'S.  They could do this again with other controversial Oscar picks and discuss it.  Example:  Rod Steiger in PAWNBROKER and Lee Marvin in CAT BALLOU but I think I'm getting off topic here.

Well there are only so many nights in a month (and February has the least number of nights),   so TCM couldn't feature all years, from say 1930 until 1968,   for best actress nominations.   Also TCM wanted to feature other awards like best actor, best supporting actor etc...

Either way;  the idea is great and TCM should do more of this type of themed based programming (and not just during Oscar month).

Makes Cat on a Hot Tin Roof look like a disney family film. :)

72sqc0.jpg

Now you are seriously making me want to hop over to Amazon and order it. However used copies of the DVD sell for $35-88.00. While brand new copies sell from $250-400.00