Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)

Kid Dabb

The film everybody has trouble remembering the title of. The sad story of an elderly

couple shunted by their children.

About to air here in the next 20 minutes and again, October 27 @ 10;00 PM EDT -

be sure to set your reminder here: TCMDb

Yes, kid. I watched it and it's been a while since I last saw it. Beulah Bondi.  This is the first film of hers that I had seen .I had seen her in an episode of The Waltons and  she was wonderful! I tried to see as many of her films as I could and this one has to be her best performance.

It is a timeless film, really. I have had such a connection with older folks ranging from both sets of grandparents to those unrelated to me. I could never envision myself being so selfish and unappreciative to my parents (still living, thank you) as this lot of children. No redeeming qualities in any of them. Maybe Thomas Mitchell's character had some redeeming qualities as he seemed to be quite torn.

Just a wonderful film

Oh, yeah, and I love me some Louise Beavers.

Yesterday I read of a elderly Tennessee couple who have been forced to separate because of health problems that they cannot get treatment for any other way due to state and federal regulations.  I thought of this movie which I saw once years ago and can't bear to see again but maybe should.  Nearly 80 years later and it's still happening despite our best efforts.  Outrageous!   

This one does indeed tug at me, too. My mom was forced into an early retirement due to her heart condition and was nearly evicted because her disability income wasn't covering the bills. I was the only one able to come to her aid as neither of her two brothers cared a hoot, so I packed my things and moved back home to take care of her. I stayed with her the last 10 years of her life making sure she had nothing to worry about.

I really enjoyed the last 30 minutes of this film. One last fling at their old honeymoon spot. As sad as this story is, I still had a feeling of hope when they parted at the train station. Even though they may have believed this was their last meeting, I prefer to imagine them reuniting in the next year or so. Optimism is good medicine, IMO.

• Like 1

Yes, kid. I watched it and it's been a while since I last saw it. Beulah Bondi.  This is the first film of hers that I had seen .I had seen her in an episode of The Waltons and  she was wonderful! I tried to see as many of her films as I could and this one has to be her best performance.

I remember when she won an Emmy for her performance on The Waltons. It was the most moving moment I have ever seen on a award show, she was about 90 at the time.  Beulah Bondi personifies classic cinema for me. I was trying to decide what I think my favorite Beulah Bondi role is. Right now, I would say Melissa in The Trail of the Lonesome Pine. Here's Beulah in one of her scenes from that film, albeit in a very bad print (scene starts around 8:20):

There'a a new movie coming out soon which revisits this type of storyline. "Love Is Strange" features Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a recently married (but long-term) couple who suddenly have to deal with the loss of one's job and their inability to keep their apartment. One has to go live with a nephew's family and the other moves in with two roommates who turn out to be a terrible match for him.. They're able to meet occasionally, but must now basically live their lives apart. It's not as overtly sentimental as "Make Way For Tomorrow" (which I've loved for years), but the emotional impact is also very real. As with Bondi and Moore, Molina and Lithgow bring it to a very personal level.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings