Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some Fun Questions

Just some questions.  Which "classic" films stars would be your selection to the questions:

1.  If you could invite 6 classic film stars to your home, who would you invite?

2.  If you could only keep 1 DVD classic film - which would it be?

3.  Which classic film actor/actress do you feel is overrated?  Which person is underated?

4.  Who do you think was the most handsome classic film actor?

5.  Who do you think was the most beautiful classic film actress?

6.  Who is your least favorite classic actor?

7.  Who is your least favorite classic actress?

8.   If you could star in a classic film, which film would you want to be in and what character would you want to play?

9.  What is your favorite line in a classic film?

10.  If you were stuck in an elevator, which classic film star would you want to be stuck with?

11.  Do you have a favorite biography or autobiography of a classic film star?

12.  What critically acclaimed classic film do you not enjoy watching?

newclassicfilmfan:

It's always a little disappointing when one starts a thread and after several hours, finds there's still no response to it.

Still, look at the response to the other thread you started..(the one titled "Question".) Took off like a rocket, as all threads about what should be called "classic" film do.

I can't speak for others, but when I read your post here, I was kind of overwhelmed by the number of "fun questions". Yes, they are fun questions. I guess I'm just too lazy to do the work to answer all of them in one post. Each one of the 12 questions could be a thread in itself (and sometimes has been.)

I'll just answer #1 for now.

Wait a minute - I know I'm over-thinking this, but did you mean, 6 stars in my home all at the same time? Cause if so, I'd have to think about how they'd all get along with each other, as well as with me  ( ! )

Still...I dunno...

Robert MItchum (even though I know he'd just sit there and look handsome and bored and amused at the same time)

Bette Davis (but she'd definitely say, looking around my home, "What a dump !")

Richard Widmark (now, he'd be nice)

Barbara Stanwyck (so would she)

Robert Ryan (too many nice people, ditto for him)

Carole Lombard (I've heard she was really down to earth as well as funny)

This  list would probably change on a regular basis, depending on my mood and how presentable my home was, not to mention how much food and booze I had to serve my famous guests.

Me, too.  A lot of questions so I will also answer the first one.  The six people are:  Barbara Stanwyck, William Powell, Bette Davis, John Gilbert, Irene Dunne and Robert Ryan.  They'd be interesting to talk with and fun to be around.  Someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning but we'll have plenty of good wine (maybe some from MacMurray Ranch or Fess Parker Vineyards) and Champagne.  If John Gilbert has too much to drink, he can sleep it off in my bed!

I'm going to tackle all of these.  A lot of my answers are going to be the same because I'm obsessed; but here goes:

Just some questions.  Which "classic" films stars would be your selection to the questions:

1.  If you could invite 6 classic film stars to your home, who would you invite?

1. Errol Flynn; 2. Alan Hale (Errol & Alan would be entertaining together); 3. Humphrey Bogart; 4. Judy Garland; 5. Rosalind Russell; 6. Lauren Bacall.  I think these six people would be highly entertaining, would bring the party with them and fun would be had by all.

This is a tough one.  I love so many films.  I think I'd have to go with The Long, Long Trailer.  It is entertaining from beginning to end and I never get tired of seeing it even after the millionth viewing.

3.  Which classic film actor/actress do you feel is overrated?  Which person is underated?

OVERRATED: Marlon Brando; UNDERRATED: Errol Flynn

DUH. Errol Flynn.  (told you, I'm obsessed and I have no shame!)

Barbara Stanwyck

Gary Cooper

June Allyson

8.   If you could star in a classic film, which film would you want to be in and what character would you want to play?

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Maid Marian.  The film looks like it'd be really fun to be a part of and then of course, there's the obvious benefit of getting to make out with Errol Flynn after he climbs through Marian's window.

"Here's looking at you kid." Humphrey Bogart, Casablanca; it's kind of a cliché movie line; but I'm a sucker for a good romantic movie and the airport scene between Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman easily ranks among the top most romantic scenes in film.

10.  If you were stuck in an elevator, which classic film star would you want to be stuck with?

Hmm... I could go with the obvious choice of Errol Flynn; but for the sake of changing up my answers, I'm gonna go with Bette Davis; because she seems like she is hilarious and would help pass the time in the elevator quickly.

My Wicked, Wicked Ways- Errol Flynn; and A Book- Desi Arnaz

The Godfather and Apocalypse Now

All answered Rorschach style, i.e., these were the first answers that popped into my  head. Ask me again tomorrow and some of them might well be different.

Robert Ryan, Richard Widmark, Bette Davis, Sybil Jason, Edward Arnold, Katharine Hepburn. I'd have said Barbara Stanwyck, but my understanding is that she never liked to talk much about herself.

Assuming you mean "classic" American films only, either Vertigo or The Search

Overrated: Gary Cooper.

Underrated: Robert Ryan and Richard Widmark

Either Clark Gable or Robert Taylor, depending on your definition

Loretta Young for career value, but Jane Greer for peak value in Out of the Past

Gary Cooper, no contest.

Can't think of any offhand, though I'm not particularly thrilled with Katharine Hepburn's pre-Stage Door career. But then she stepped it up radically after that, and became one of my favorites.

Either Jack Carson's part in Roughly Speaking, Humphrey Bogart's part in To Have or Have Not or Dark Passage, or Fredric March's part in Middle of the NightAll for obvious reasons, at least to me they're obvious.

Either "That's arson!" (Jean Harlow in Libeled Lady), or "Do come again, Mrs. PROWLER" (Joan Crawford in The Women), or "He'll never see sixteen!" (Humphrey Bogart in The Roaring Twenties)

Katharine Hepburn or Bette Davis, assuming I could get an occasional word in edgeways.

I'd go with my signed first edition of Bette Davis's Mother G o d d a m

West Side Story, or pretty much any other stage-transferred cornball musical that was targeted at the tourist crowd.

Anybody but Paul Newman, since he doesn't qualify

The Day The Clown Cried

3.  Which classic film actor/actress do you feel is overrated?

Meryl Streep, if she's classic

Which person is underated?

Robert Williams

Lassie

Again, Streep if she counts

Harvey

title role

"I'm the meanest, toughest, rip-roarin'-est, Edward Everett Horton-est hombre what ever packed a six-shooter!"

Michael Rennie, because he had so much experience -- in The Day The Earth Stood Still, Hotel, and The Power

The Moon's A Balloon by David Niven

I could list dozens if not hundreds... Since it was voted the greatest film ever made, I'll say Vertigo

Robert Walker (then tell him that he shouldn't drink

Gail Russell ( then tell her she shouldn't drink)

Dana Andrews (then tell him he shouldn't drink)

Myrna Loy

Peter O'Toole (then tell him he should cut back)

Chuck Heston

Come to think of it most of my guests had issues with alcohol, it must be a sobriety party!

Ben Hur so the movie fills more time while having drama and laughter.

MARLON BRANDO he was handsome that was it. Robert Walker he did comedy, drama, war, western and suspense; he was wonderful.

Hands down Joel Mccrea

Frances Dee

James Dean

Kate Hepburn

I'd be Gigi a young girl that has a wonderful home even when poor!

Any Marx Brothers quote, they cheer up anyone

William Powell, he could keep the conversation going.

Sorry, I want to believe that classic actors are have the highest morals so I don't read them.

I don't care who you are, anyone who sits through and enjoys Dr. Zhivago needs to pull a Tonya and leave the country.

Burt Lancaster,  Gary Cooper,  Gene Tierney,  Debbie Reynolds,  Harry Davenport and  Barbara Stanwyck

Adventures of Robin Hood

Overated:  Spencer Tracy.       Underated:  Glenn Ford.

Johnny Weissmuller

Gene Tierney

Franchot Tone

Almost any line spoken by Gabby Hayes

Gene Tierney

Citizen Kane

That was kinda fun.  

bOb39

These all are subject to change, of course, even day to day.

Peter Sellers, Louise Brooks, Oscar Levant, Mae West, Ernie Kovacs, Estelle Winwood

Berlin Alexanderplatz  ;) 

Underrated: Ralph Meeker, Victor Mature, and Veronica Lake

Robert Mitchum

Ava Gardner, Linda Darnell

Modesty Blaise in Modesty Blaise

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."  Mae West in Klondike Annie

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."  Clark Gable in GWTW

Oscar Levant

Lulu in Hollywood by Louise Brooks. Not a memoir, but brilliant.

Singin' in the Ran

Edited to add the underrated Victor Mature.

Charlie Chaplin, Charles Laughton, Joel McCrea, Eve Arden, Gladys Cooper, Claude Rains

The Devil and Miss Jones

3.  Which classic film actor/actress do you feel is overrated?  Which person is underrated?

Overrated:  George Raft

Underrated:   Gladys Cooper

Joel McCrea

toss-up:  Greer Garson/Hedy Lamar

George Raft

Marian Hopkins

Connie Milligan in The More the Merrier

There is no one favorite.   I have a Top 50, however.

Harold Lloyd - he could get us out.

No, although several are interesting.  

Raging Bull and/or Psycho

Groucho Marx, Jack Benny, George Burns, Danny Kaye, Phil Silvers, Ava Gardner

(...c'mon now...what would be more fun than havin' sort of a Friars Club meeting at your home, AND havin' Ava sittin' right next to ya, HUH?!)

THE APARTMENT...with a close second of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

overrated-Brando

underrated-Victor Mature

Cary Grant

Ummm...of course...AVA!!!

Glenn Ford

Patricia Neal

Why, C.C. Baxter, of course.

"That is my least vulnerable spot!"-Claude Rains in CASABLANCA, immediately comes to mind for some reason 

I'll give ya three guesses, and the hint would be, "Here he is! The one, the only.......!", and George Fenneman said it.

John Huston's autobiography, "An Open Book"

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

• Like 1

Celeste Holm, Ralph Meeker, Frederic March, Myrna Loy, Marlene Dietrich, Bob Cummings

The 39 Steps

Overrated--Greta Garbo

Underrated--Cary Grant

James Craig

Joan Fontaine

Robert Mitchum

Maria Ouspenskiya

To Kill A Mockingbird--Atticus Finch

From "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows"

Susan St. James:  Reverend Mother, do we know where we're going?

Rosalind Russell:  Yes, but only if we've led good, Christian lives.

Susan St. James:  I wasn't thinking that far ahead.

Deborah Kerr

N/A

Gone With The Wind

I must admit, these are good questions, and my answers could be totally different if I answered these a month from now, or if the questions were posted a month ago.  Just because I downgraded some and upgraded others doesn't mean I don't enjoy some of their individual works in some of their roles.  Thanks for asking newclassicfilmfan1!

I'd invite Virginia Mayo over. I certainly wouldn't

be so stupid as to invite five other people over too.

Ooh I wish I had thought of that scenario in my original response.  It'd be a shame if five of my guests were given the wrong address of the party...