Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paper Moon (1973)

speedracer5

This past weekend, I saw Paper Moon for the first time.  It is currently on the Netflix Instant Queue.  I really enjoyed this movie.  I thought Tatum O'Neil (Addie Loggins) was great, especially for it being her film debut and for her only being ten years old.  She deserved her Academy Award although I find it interesting that she was submitted as a Supporting Actress when she clearly had a leading role in this film.  Perhaps the Best Actress race seemed too tough and perhaps the studio thought she had a better shot with the Supporting Actress nod.  I see that Tatum competed against Madeline Kahn (Trixie Delight).  Kahn definitely had a supporting role; Tatum did not, she was a lead.

But, I digress...

I really loved this movie.  I liked how Peter Bogdanovich chose to shoot the film in black and white.  The film took place in the early 1930s and the grittiness of the black and white photography and high contrast images really added to the general aesthetic of the film.  If the film were in color, I think the feeling and look of the film would be impacted negatively.  I also really loved the music chosen.  It was appropriate to the time period being depicted and really added to the overall experience of watching Paper Moon.

The acting was excellent.  Even though Ryan O'Neil, (Moze) was pretty much a terrible person, I still was rooting for him and Addie to successfully con people and to ultimately make it to Missouri which was their planned destination.  It was hilarious that Addie, 9, smoked and swore.  I liked that both characters changed throughout the film.  Addie, a tough as nails little girl, eventually shows a soft side in caring for Trixie Delight's employee Imogene, and for Moze himself.  Moze, a bitter con artist, who resents having to take this kid across state lines, comes to care deeply for Addie and at the end (SPOILER ALERT) is heartbroken when he finally gets her to her new home in Missouri.  The picture that Addie leaves with Moze is adorable. 

5/5 stars.  I'm definitely going to be adding this film to my collection.

This past weekend, I saw Paper Moon for the first time.  It is currently on the Netflix Instant Queue.  I really enjoyed this movie.  I thought Tatum O'Neil (Addie Loggins) was great, especially for it being her film debut and for her only being ten years old.  She deserved her Academy Award although I find it interesting that she was submitted as a Supporting Actress when she clearly had a leading role in this film.  Perhaps the Best Actress race seemed too tough and perhaps the studio thought she had a better shot with the Supporting Actress nod.  I see that Tatum competed against Madeline Kahn (Trixie Delight).  Kahn definitely had a supporting role; Tatum did not, she was a lead.

But, I digress...

I really loved this movie.  I liked how Peter Bogdanovich chose to shoot the film in black and white.  The film took place in the early 1930s and the grittiness of the black and white photography and high contrast images really added to the general aesthetic of the film.  If the film were in color, I think the feeling and look of the film would be impacted negatively.  I also really loved the music chosen.  It was appropriate to the time period being depicted and really added to the overall experience of watching Paper Moon.

The acting was excellent.  Even though Ryan O'Neal makes my stomach turn, the chemistry between real-life and on-screen father-daughter was second to none.  Tatum was fantastic, and Madeline Kahn made me crack up with her *bone structure*.  Great show. 

There is a reason why Paper Moon is the movie poster in my living room, it's easily my most beloved film. Just this past weekend I was playing the soundtrack lp....it was never released on CD.

So glad you finally saw it, speeder.

I actually really liked Ryan O'Neal as Moses and can't imagine anyone else in that role. He is just trying to "get by" like everyone else in the Depression. I especially like his silly horsey laugh when he meets Trixie Delight (did Madeline Kahn EVER let us down?) He's really just a goof trying to come across as smart, yet a little girl outsmarts him.

And very secure of Ryan for playing a role destined to be outshined by his daughter. I think he's a wholly underrated actor, far better than he ever gets credit for.

Even the sherriff/mayor is excellent, as is the entire supporting cast, sets, music, costumes, etc. When I think of this film I think of the sound of the old car motors chugging along dirt roads.

" i want my two hundred DOLLARS!" a line the Tikis often repeat when we feel ripped off.

There is a reason why Paper Moon is the movie poster in my living room, it's easily my most beloved film. Just this past weekend I was playing the soundtrack lp....it was never released on CD.

So glad you finally saw it, speeder.

I actually really liked Ryan O'Neal as Moses and can't imagine anyone else in that role. He is just trying to "get by" like everyone else in the Depression. I especially like his silly horsey laugh when he meets Trixie Delight (did Madeline Kahn EVER let us down?) He's really just a goof trying to come across as smart, yet a little girl outsmarts him.

And very secure of Ryan for playing a role destined to be outshined by his daughter. I think he's a wholly underrated actor, far better than he ever gets credit for.

Even the sherriff/mayor is excellent, as is the entire supporting cast, sets, music, costumes, etc. When I think of this film I think of the sound of the old car motors chugging along dirt roads.

" i want my two hundred DOLLARS!" a line the Tikis often repeat when we feel ripped off.

I agree. I loved the film. Madeline Kahn was terrific.

I love this movie.  I showed it to my daughter when she was about 16 and SHE wound up loving it too.  Still does.

MY favorite line in the film is when Mose asks Addie "don't you know what scruples is?"  And her reply, "I don't know what scruples are, but if YOU got 'em, it's a sure bet they belong to somebody else!"

Sepiatone

Did anyone else start thinking about Paper Moon when they were watching the Salesman documentary the other night?

Just a year or two before Paper Moon came out, I had a slightly degenerate college friend living in Berkeley, who was telling me about this idea he had about selling Bibles to recently widowed women, using the same scheme that O'Neal employed in the movie that had yet to be released.  It cracked me up just thinking about it, even more so because I knew he'd never actually do it.  He was a con man at heart, but he had a slightly higher code of ethics than your run of the mill grifter.

But every time I see Paper Moon, I think of my long lost friend and that long conversation about Bible selling.  It still cracks me up.

The same thing happened with River Phoenix in RUNNING ON EMPTY. He clearly had the lead in the movie but competed for the Supporting Actor Oscar. He did not win.

Jennifer Hudson competed and won the Supporting Actress Oscar for DREAMGIRLS even though she had a lead role.

Actors can chose whether to be considered for nomination in the Lead or Supporting category so it is not unheard of for a Lead performance to be submitted in the Supporting category when the chances of winning in that category seem to be greater.

Did anyone else start thinking about Paper Moon when they were watching the Salesman documentary the other night?

Just a year or two before Paper Moon came out, I had a slightly degenerate college friend living in Berkeley, who was telling me about this idea he had about selling Bibles to recently widowed women, using the same scheme that O'Neal employed in the movie that had yet to be released.  It cracked me up just thinking about it, even more so because I knew he'd never actually do it.  He was a con man at heart, but he had a slightly higher code of ethics than your run of the mill grifter.

But every time I see Paper Moon, I think of my long lost friend and that long conversation about Bible selling.  It still cracks me up.

Any chance that your long lost friend had a connection to certain Holywood screenwriters?

Any chance that your long lost friend had a connection to certain Holywood screenwriters?

Not that I know of, but his partner in his marginally legitimate "film society" business he played hit-and-run with on the UC/Berkeley campus was a guy named Mark Lester, who did produce an underground classic called

, featuring the Cockettes.  If there's a better  candidate for the TCM Saturday night Underground time slot, I'd be hard pressed to think of it.  Here's an example of a flyer my friend had made up for his off-campus showings of that "CLASSIC" film:

41.jpg

I don't think little kids smoking (or swearing for that matter) in real life is actually hilarious; but in the context of Addie's character in the film it was funny.

And the Bad News Bears too. Come to think of it, kids smoking in comedies is pretty funny.

Not that I know of, but his partner in his marginally legitimate "film society" business he played hit-and-run with on the UC/Berkeley campus was a guy named Mark Lester, who did produce an underground classic called Tricia's Wedding, featuring the Cockettes.  If there's a better  candidate for the TCM Saturday night Underground time slot, I'd be hard pressed to think of it.  Here's an example of a flyer my friend had made up for his off-campus showings of that "CLASSIC" film:

41.jpg

Joe Cocker and the Cockettes has a nice ring to it.

Paper Moon is a great - even perfect -movie. The tight script, appealing characters, evocative period depiction, exquisite cinematography, brilliant use of period music, etc etc make it one of the best. ( Do you get that I REALLY admire this movie?) Peter Bogdanovich was really on a roll at this point - it's too bad a couple of flops later hampered his career.

Re: Tatum winning "Supporting" actress when clearly she was a co- lead - this follows the Hollywood tradition of slighting juvenile performers. Mary Badham had as much screen time as G. Peck in "To Kill a Mockingbird" but was a supprting nominee. Ditto Brandon De Wilde in "Shane"

Even re: billing. I still shake my head at the advertising for "ET - the Extraterrestial" the "stars" at least in the ads were Dee Wallace and Peter Coyote, when clearly these two (neither of whom were box- office names or draws) were supporting roles. If Henry Thomas and Drew Barrymore weren't kids they would have been given star billing. It was ridiculous that Spielberg didn't correct this.

There is a reason why Paper Moon is the movie poster in my living room, it's easily my most beloved film. Just this past weekend I was playing the soundtrack lp....it was never released on CD. ...

Good news for those who love the music in PAPER MOON -- it's available on CD:

http://amazon.com/Paper-Moon-Django-Reinhardt/dp/B001SGFA3W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=14TTA5CH0CA8SD8KTTXS

As a fan both of this movie and of music from the 30s in general, I was very glad to get this collection.  The CD starts with the 15 songs from the movie soundtrack, by the artists featured in the movie (Bing, Paul Whiteman, Dick Powell, Jimmie Davis, the Boswell Sisters et al.).  The remaining 11 tracks on the CD are by the master jazz/gypsy guitarist, Django Reinhardt, and are from the 30s, the time period in the movie -- not from the soundtrack, but still great listening, and they work well as a follow-up to the movie's songs.

Good news for those who love the music in PAPER MOON -- it's available on CD:

http://amazon.com/Paper-Moon-Django-Reinhardt/dp/B001SGFA3W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_m_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=14TTA5CH0CA8SD8KTTXS

As a fan both of this movie and of music from the 30s in general, I was very glad to get this collection.  The CD starts with the 15 songs from the movie soundtrack, by the artists featured in the movie (Bing, Paul Whiteman, Dick Powell, Jimmie Davis, the Boswell Sisters et al.).  The remaining 11 tracks on the CD are by the master jazz/gypsy guitarist, Django Reinhardt, and are from the 30s, the time period in the movie -- not from the soundtrack, but still great listening, and they work well as a follow-up to the movie's songs.

Thanks for the tip.  This sounds like a CD I might want to purchase.   I have a lot of Reinhardt music already.    Jazz guitar players all have heard of Reinhardt and I do play around 10 or so songs in the gypsy jazz style (but I'm not a Djangonut which is what we call guitar players that ONLY play in that style).     I assume Woody Allen purchased a copy of this CD.

My friends (who are making a point to watch all of AFI's Top 100 movies, Paper Moon is on the list) and I watched this movie on my friend's outdoor movie screen.  Watching with a projector (albeit, a digital projector as we were streaming Netflix) on a movie screen outside at night when it's cooled down (it's been 90+ degrees for the past week here in Oregon.  Very warm for us here up in the Pacific NW!) definitely added to the ambience of watching this film. 

Anyway...

I really enjoyed the music in this film.  I liked that it was authentic and I liked that all (maybe most of?) the music came from the radio.  I even knew the chorus to one of the songs!

An excerpt from a conversation I had with my friend, showcasing how nerdy or how awesome I am:

MUSIC FROM MOVIE: ...There's a rainbow in the sky...

ME (singing): ...So let's have another cup of coffee! and another piece of pie!...

FRIEND: How in the world did you know that song?

ME: It's in an episode of I Love Lucy!

One day, I'm going to be in some type of trivia tournament and the "cup of coffee" song will be a question and I will blow everyone away with my knowledge! Haha.

MUSIC FROM MOVIE: ...There's a rainbow in the sky...

ME (singing): ...So let's have another cup of coffee! and another piece of pie!...

FRIEND: How in the world did you know that song?

ME: It's in an episode of I Love Lucy!

One day, I'm going to be in some type of trivia tournament and the "cup of coffee" song will be a question and I will blow everyone away with my knowledge! Haha.

Herbert plays a verse of that song from a record on his victrola outside Chris's window on an episode of THE FAMILY GUY. 

He asks Stewie to "tell Chris to open his winda." 

Saw it in high school. My  girlfriend and I were so taken with the setting and the music that we left the theater and spent the rest of the night driving around the back roads west of town (Billings, Montana) imagining that it was the '30s instead of the '70s.

Paper Moon is a great - even perfect -movie. The tight script, appealing characters, evocative period depiction, exquisite cinematography, brilliant use of period music, etc etc make it one of the best. ( Do you get that I REALLY admire this movie?) Peter Bogdanovich was really on a roll at this point - it's too bad a couple of flops later hampered his career.

Re: Tatum winning "Supporting" actress when clearly she was a co- lead - this follows the Hollywood tradition of slighting juvenile performers. Mary Badham had as much screen time as G. Peck in "To Kill a Mockingbird" but was a supprting nominee. Ditto Brandon De Wilde in "Shane"

Even re: billing. I still shake my head at the advertising for "ET - the Extraterrestial" the "stars" at least in the ads were Dee Wallace and Peter Coyote, when clearly these two (neither of whom were box- office names or draws) were supporting roles. If Henry Thomas and Drew Barrymore weren't kids they would have been given star billing. It was ridiculous that Spielberg didn't correct this.

I think that if you are a juvenile actor, you are considered a priori "supporting", in most cases.

• Like 1

I don't recall the actual billing for ET but did Barrymore and Thomas get some type of separate billing?   e.g. introducing XYZ credit line?   

We often see this type of billing for child actors or very old actors (big stars given a supporting role very late in their career);   e.g. they are not listed with all the other actors but instead get their own billing 'screen shot',  typically as the last part of the actors credits. 

This does allow them to stand out from the bunch.      

One of my all time faves because it captures the isolation of western Kansas so well. You could drive down the streets of those small towns and they will be the exactly same now. And big shout out to White Cloud and the shots in St. Joe. Those places can still be found... That area should do more to cash in on that movie. Movie tours can be lucrative.